August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Cathy

Give it a rest CNN....stop trying to keep old wounds fresh!!!! Didn't you listen to a word of Clinton's speech...???

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  2. Efi, Hutschison MN

It's shameful to see this on CNN. I expect such stupidity from FOX not CNN. Shame on you CNN for trying to bring division among the democrats. This is the worse kind of journalism I have seen on CNN. It feels like CNN is in bed with the GOP.

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. Carol L in Rural Maine

CNN couldn't wait last night to have a full hour of Republican dissing and of course Larry King was ALL about the GOP critique.
    Today, what is the important story... BODY LANGUAGE? OH wait,,, they forgot to mention Race.. .their other favorite theme.

CNN use to be balanced. They have lost their way.. They are now in line with FOX News ( who is nothing more than a GOP full time political ad campaign).

I was not a Hillary supporter. BUT last night made me wish she was on the #2 spot. Great job.

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. wally

Yes indeed! a crocodile smile.

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. THE REPUBLICAN PARTY ARE AGENTS FROM HELL

Look women you all are about to really blow this for me, I need you all to understand you are going too far with all of this, come next time my name will be mud. Yes I am anger with Obama, but I can't afford for it to show or hinder my career. Yes I'm loving all this attention, but you all had better learn how this game is played.

If I can't have it neither will Obama!

August 27, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. Obama- Next Stop.. White House

CNN, are you in the pocket of McClown...This is starting to be ridiculous!!

August 27, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. D in Indiana

I'm sure this won't be posted,(like 4 other of my bipartisan comments)as I'm a Republican, but here goes anyway.
    I won't be in shock when this happens next week with the Republican Convention.. as far as comments made, types of articles being posted, blogger comments, and yes, maybe even a body language expert trying to tell us what we missed, all aimed in the negative.
    Last time I checked, this is Politics. I expect it to come, and I won't lose sleep or be nearly as stressed as some of you seem to be when something is said or happens that doesn't agree with your idea of who you think your candidate is. Seems like the same people always on here complaining and blaming are the same ones that make "nasty" comments about the other party. And that goes both ways! My point is this...I myself am tired of hearing the 4 or 7 (or how ever many it is today) houses of McCains comments, but I don't feel like attacking or wishing "bad things" for the entire Demo party over a few comments. I could also fire back and say something like..."well geez, Mr Obama didn't even know what city he was in the other night", but I choose to state my opinions in a more positive way and not let my anger mix in. Which was the point of my example. But what in the name of America does arguing and "put downs" back and forth accomplish?? Nothing but more stress on everyones sides.

Basically, if your tired of articles that you think are unfair on either side, don't even comment. Every time you comment on these blogs, you are upping the ratings and more similiar articles keep coming.

It would be nice tho, and I am talking to every side, if when we make comments, we would try to remember that we are talking to other Americans as well as other human beings. The disrespect on here is way outa hand. You can believe strongly in something and have an opinion without making crappy comments to others.
    Thanks for this one posting CNN..if you even post it lol

August 27, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. Laura O'Malley

I am so sick of CNN'bias. I always went to CNN to see news. I will not watch CNN anymore 'cause they create their own news. So tired of the "taking heads", You went too far this time. I'm done with you.

August 27, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Jeff in Portland

Give it up already CNN. The media is making A TON more of any Clinton/Obama gap than truly exists. Are you in the news business or the drama business?

August 27, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. RO

Oh, come on! A body language expert..darn it... I am an excellent lip reader due to my deafness, and that makes me an expert in reading body language as well.. She did terrific! Agh! CNN, you disappoint me . I will really observe you next week at the Republican Convention and see if you find every tad little thing wrong there as well. I think I know the anwer to the question already, NO!

August 27, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  11. CNN Ticker=pathetic

You guys need to get a grip.

August 27, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Glenn, Cary, NC

I'm a body language expert myself. I know that a closed fist being extended rapidly toward my face expresses aggession. I know that an uplifted middle finger expresses contempt and I know that a big sloppy wet kiss on the lips expresses affection (or desire in some cases). I also know that writing a book about the supposed nuances of facial muscles and hand gestures as is they have profound meaning expresses self interest and insipidity.

August 27, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  13. Chipster

OMG! This is really scraping the bottom of the STUPID Barrel! Body language – good grief! And what, please tell me, did reading her tea leaves and throwing bones tell you?

I watched and listened. Sen. Clinton was confident in her words, articulate in her phrasing, eloquent and forceful in her delivery, and adamant that McCain must not be allowed to extend the Bush damage to our nation.

'Nuff said!

August 27, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. only in your dreams

Only in your dreams, I'm sorry to say, but without Hillary's full committment I think Obama is in trouble and I think Hillary is setting herself up for a run in 2012. Obama has no security experience, no leadership experience, no foreign policy experience and he picks Biden, another liberal tax monger, must control the people democrate. If Obama really wanted change instead on the regular washington status quo, he might of picked someone with a better background. I will now vote for McCain and more of the same, but its better that being taxed by a democrate

August 27, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. LewF

Don't you have any shame at all about posting this kind of psychobabble?

August 27, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. Missingrealnews

Is there ever going to be any 'real' news available again? This is ridiculous and it's sad that you consider yourself reporters. You are really no different than the average paparazzi, with nothing valuable to say.

August 27, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  17. JAMEE K in ARK

Please stop bashing the Clinton Supporters. I am on board for Obama because I am a Democrat first and then an Obama supporter. I was originally a Hillary supporter because I am an Arkansan and Bill is STILL a favorite son here and we will always support the Clinton's because they are great Americans and Arkansans. Not that I said that let me say this, Hillary said what is at stake is the future of our country and our children and she also said that she was in the race for the people who touched her that she felt she could help not for herself. If you are a Hillary Supporter and you want her agenda to move forward then we have to get over the hurt and move toward some middle ground. No way, No how, No McCain! How can we ignore our leader and her wishes to move to a more prosperous America. Obama supporters let us have our time and we will not "fall in line" but we will get over our anger and do what is truly best for America and that is VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN 08! Give us a chance to show we know what America needs but the more you agitate the more push back you will continue to get.

August 27, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. Tony

This is what her smile always looks like, so I guess she wasn't excited about her own candidacy either.

August 27, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. Baze

Her body language? Her BODY LANGUAGE? Ok, now I'm convinced that there's too much coverage of this race.

August 27, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. D&D

CNN, what are you trying to prove here? Why go up to hire a body language expert? Why don't you just let it go?

I can't believe what you guys are doing...

August 27, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. Trailsongs

Guess you folks at CNN don't have enough to do.

August 27, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  22. Pat

Good work, CNN. There was nothing in the text of the speech or in Hillary's delivery to give you something to create drama about, so you're going to bring in a "body language expert" to tell us that Hillary hates Obama. This is pretty terrible "reporting."

August 27, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  23. Tony

She still lost.

August 27, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  24. John From Illinois

Of course her body language showed that. Look what the DNC is doing. Now they are staging a phony roll call vote with a scripted ending. Isn't the purpose of a roll call vote to have the delegates vote for who they think should be the candidate? No one should be telling the people how to vote; just have the vote and whoever wins is the candidate. You don't fix the vote and then setup some phony grandstanding stopping the vote and giving your delegates to the other candidate. What a crock and no one with half of a brain believes this garbage. The DNC knows the wrong candidate was chosen and they are afraid that Clinton would win a true role call vote. Totally unethical and fake.

August 27, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  25. MD

Let me make it clear: I am not a Hillary Clinton fan. In fact I don't like the Clintons. Period.

However, I think to disect Hillary to minute level is maniacal. There was nothing in her speech which lent itself to "smiles." She was basically telling the American people how much the Bush-McCain idea sucks.

I am sure if she had smiled while mentioning Obama's name, this idiot would have said that Hillary was making fun of him or was implying that Obama is a joke to smile at.

Give me a break CNN. Ever since Obama refued to fold under your pressure and let you break his VP nominee you have turned negative against the only hope we now have to salvage the honor of this country. McCane sure fooled you people with a coupel of steaks at his ranch.

Also, it is dispicable that you have agreed to run McCain's ads during the DNC Convention. You are no longer a news organization. You are a tabloid.

August 27, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |