August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. bob in LA

LMAO!!!! CNN- your numbers up!
    I hopwe you reads thesae postings!
    Right on guys!!!

August 27, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. Richard

Sounds like CNN's usual anti-Clinton attacks

August 27, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. Laura

I'm confused. Do we have to love Obama to vote for him?

August 27, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Carol

I,m a democrat and CNN is no longer my Home Page...

August 27, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Michael

So what do you expect? Like anyone else who started the race (Democrat and Republican), she is disappointed. However, this does not mean that she has not fully backed the party's choice for candidate. I trust that the same nonsense issues will be raised during the GOP convention about their also rans? Of course not. McShame/McSame/McWhatsisname is the status quo and the media and big business always support the status quo. Notice how NBC evening news has chosen to run a series of "old age is glorious" during the DemCon? Not that subtle. We're not all stupid.

August 27, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Peter

CNN is succeeding at least in part in what it is trying to do for the Republicans.

Very disappointing to see Hillary supporters mistakenly equate CNN's Republican spin (or any other journalists' spin) for the views of Obama's campaign.

Hillary lost my vote during the primaries because she got so wrapped up in finding a way to win that she lost sight of the harm she was doing to her party and what all Democrats stand for. But what she said last night was clearly a sincere call for her supporters to recognize that an Obama presidency will do a lot more to advance the causes she and her supporters stand for than would a McCain presidency. She did a fabulous job both of re-evaluating what is really important in the election and why and of explaining that in a way that should be understood by those who are still feeling the sting of her coming in second in a close primary run.

Don't fall into the CNN trap of trying to foster discord and controversy to prop up its ratings and inflated view of its own importance. Journalists as "wanna be" celebrities and ratings junkies are ruining the news business and providing the platform for the politics or hate.

Listen to what Hillary said and take it to heart. It represented the very best of her, and a genuine effort to do what is best for the country.

August 27, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Mary

I Will NEVER in MY LIFETIME vote for A OBAMA!

I do not care what kind of speech Hillary gave, and yes it was great but the way she and her campaign people and the 18 million voters have been treated and talked trash about.
    NO WAY NO HOW
    NO OBAMA

You can't expect her to support such an unqualified candidate and I will Not Support One NEITHER.

MCCAIN 08
    HILLARY 2012

August 27, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. BillShneiderDaMan

At first I was going to vote for Obama, but CNN's body expert really convince me that I should vote for McCain. This is why I trust and watch CNN. Thank you for your great investigative journalism.

August 27, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. elle

And what did the body language of the other Convention speakers reveal? HRC should then be compared to the other speaker's body language analysis. If not, then CNN is just being sexist. Especially if the person performing the body language analysis is a MAN.

August 27, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. Jearlean McKenzie

It is not her place to get him votes.. I would vote for her in a minute but not him.. We do not know what he stands for. I am not against him because he is black because i would vote forColon Powell in a minute

August 27, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. DJ Los Angeles

* gasp * wow you are really DESPERATE to try to create controversy or look for any needle in a haystack to promote drama that isn't there. The Democrats are united. Don't believe all the hype.

August 27, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  12. Kathy

this is a big joke. i can't believe they actually consulted a body language expert. Olbermann made big fun of this practice a couple months ago on Countdown. I thought Hillary was great and got her message across. She looked like she mormally does – she is not an overly emotional woman. pleae no more body language analyses. concentrate on real issues!!!

August 27, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Tired of W, OH

CNN, you guys are truly P A T H E T I C.

You are trying your hardest to keep the controversary alive in an attempt to boost your ratings. Remember what journalism is supposed to be about, CNN? You know, reporting the news instead of trying to create it?

August 27, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. Ali

Hillary was mistreated.
    Period.

August 27, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  15. CNN SUX

CNN is starting to sound like Fake News, i mean, FOX News...
    No wonder good journalist are leaving to go to good reporting news such as PBS.

August 27, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  16. Concerned Reader

CNN-this is a pathetic story. Good grief, get some real news. You just lost a reader by attempting to pander high school gossip off as news. Disgusting.

August 27, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  17. Lynn Pembroke Pines

CNN this is ridiculous. Body language experts and research pertaining to body language has not been proven to be the same for all people.

I think CNN is a republician supporting news group. This is proof they just want to keep the democrats down.

August 27, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  18. Adam

This could quite possibly be one of the most ridiculous items I have ever seen on a media website. And we wonder why American politics have become what they are today.

August 27, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. Vlasta

To "only in your dreams": I suggest you wake up, educate yourself, and stop posting pathetic rightwing nonsense. And use spellcheck, for goodness' sake so you won't look so ignorant.

August 27, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. Craig

CNN...please just stop. We know you have such a love affair with Hillary that you can't stop but drone on and on about it.

You have got to be kidding me. Giving time to this instead of looking into the candidate's issues?

Come on.

August 27, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. LAI

Oh PLEASE! Really??? I have been overcome by the tedious, relentless ANALysis pouring out of CNN. Anything to tear. Anything to subvert. Anything to annoy. Anything to avoid real reporting and real information! Sheesh!

I have been very very angry at Hillary since the primary, but practically all of that was washed away and respect restored when she asked, "Were you in it for me?"...That was exactly the question that I have been asking since she bowed out. She was CLEAR. You, CNN, are pathetic.

August 27, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. ross

the best political team on tv you guys are getting to be a joke.after this is over i look forward to seeing you on comedy central

August 27, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Helene

I don't care about her body language. Her words were forceful. She will fight for Obama. Period.

August 27, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Mike from Carolina

Never in a hundred years would I have expected CNN to stoop to this level in its' quest to cast negative aspersions and suggestions. The idea of input from a "body language expert" doesn't make this story any more credible. It's mind reading and a long, long ways from real journalism. If it will help you, I'm a BS expert and in that area, this is top grade.
    You should be ashamed of this.

August 27, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Eric

Why does the media have to keep perpetuating this trumped up fued between Clinton and Obama? Clinton has said that she stands behind Obama. Black and white. Report it just like that. When you make up this stupid body language junk, you're looking too deeply into something that at this point should be a non-issue. Give it up. We don't care! Report on something that matters.

August 27, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |