August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. David_SoCal

She said what was Politically Correct to say.
    She did the right thing. She was serious and she meant it becasue she is a Democrate.

I am an Independent that has supported Hillary.

O bLa ma, who just put out so much bla, bla, bla, made a very serious mistake by Not picking Hillary as his VP.

Go McCain !!

August 27, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. Humberto

I dont know if anyone else noticed, but Michelle looked down right Mean during Hillary's speech, it was almost scary… That's the body language that should have been analyzed by an expert here....

Democrat Not for Obama….

August 27, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. JC

Do you need an aura reader on your CNN Journalism Staff??? Or are all of those positions filled?

August 27, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. lancecoardill

Words, words, words, that's all we've heard from Democrats. Body language and demonstrating that this party can actually articulate, and stick to, an agenda is what will sway the American voters. Obama's an empty suit, Hillary should have been the nominee.

August 27, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. Carly

CNN = Completely Nutty Nonsense.

Body language analysis? Let's try analyzing McCain's often wrongly-timed smile – now that's some scary expression.

August 27, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. Vicent

CNN = IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  7. Obama-Junkie, IL

Wow! Let it go CNN! CNN couldn't find any major things to criticize Hillary Clinton on in her speech supporting Obama and calling for Democratic party unity. Therefore CNN is now trying to examine the body language of Hillary Clinton to discourage unity within the Democratic Party.

Sorry CNN, FOX News has you beat. Trying to compete against FOX News on similiar terms will only belittle your network even further.

August 27, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  8. Tim

The so called Body Language Expert sounds like a Republican or PUMA FOOL!

P.U.M.A.
    People Under McCain's Authority!!!
    4 More Years of Bush Policy!

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN!!!!

August 27, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. Lou Anthony

Leaders of the Democratic Party, including the Obama camp, must have been pulling out their hair after watching Hillary's amazing speech and the electrifying reception she received. Hillary rocks! As a Hillary supporter, I watched her speech with tears rolling from my eyes. Tears not only of appreciation of her speech but tears of deep regret for losing the opportunity to make her our next president. Through her speech, she showed friends and foes alike how a brilliant and capable president she would have become for this great nation. The injustice that the democratic party committed against Hillary and her supporters will never be forgotten. Hillary, I love you! For the first time in my life, I will be voting for a republican in November. Yes, McCain looks much better, capable, trustworthy, experienced, and honorable than Barack Obama. I will wait Hillary's run in 2012. McCain 2008. Hillary 2012/2016.

August 27, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Bev

CNN.... give it up already. Why not dicuss the clothes she was wearing. Was the color right? Yawn......

August 27, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. Jon

Right now, my body language is expressing that Dan Hill should get a real job.

August 27, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  12. edward Cistolo

I saw a media piece today re: Hillary's body language during her speech last evening. She was compared to Michelle Obama's body language during her speech the night before at the dem convention. The first thing I noticed in the comparison was the height of the podium during their respective speeches. You could not see Hillary below mid chest, Michelle on the other hand could be seen from waist high. You could see her arm and hand movements but you could see the same on Hillary.
    Are we that shallow that we "have" to find something wrong before we can say something nice? Cut Hillary a break, she made nice nice, so let's move forward. The USA needs us to move forward.

August 27, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  13. Anita from Arizona

Who says you have to love the candidate to vote for them???? It's the policies he stands for. CNN is begging for four more years of the same Bush/McCain thats running this country into the ground. Way to find a story where there isn't one. I excepted better from you, CNN. If I wanted pyschic readings, I'll watch Dione Warwick and her pyschic friends.

August 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Gross Story!!

I agree that it must be a slow news day for this to be used. Pathetic. excuse for reporting.

I saw her speech and I thought she gave an enthusiastic endorsement of Obama. Dissecting her smile? Geez, what more do you want the woman to do? All the tv analysts were saying before she came on that no one losing the nomination has ever before done as much as she already has done for Obama.

August 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  15. Andrew

I cant believe this is even being reported. Body language isn't even a soft science. If you ask me its just a bunch of bull cooked up to try to milk this party disunity topic for all its worth.

August 27, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  16. Babs

People get a life and leave Mrs. Clinton alone. Enough is enough.

August 27, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  17. Ana

Well CNN, i THANK you for this insightful commentary. I think its enormously relevant; i said the same to my boyfriend yesterday, while watching her speech; her words may have said "x," but every other communicative measure she has – including her body language, and also the giant Clinton Banner in the background – said otherwise.

She had to make that speech as a requirement. It was, in my opinion, aimed at her supporters (the PUMAs, the other die-hards) that will follow along sheepishly to whatever she instructs – and she instructed unity (not because she wanted to, but because she had to). She could've displayed a better game face for this speech.

For those of us that can see the forest from the trees, her message was loud and clear: I'm not happy, and I wanted this convention to be about me. A video tribute to Hillary for her historic run? Please. Last night could not have been more about the Clintons, Hillary in particular. at least you guys really emphasized that words are not the sole communicating factor. Again, thank you.

August 27, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  18. Amber

her speech was so good that journalists have to resort to this (body language) to try and find something negative to say.

August 27, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  19. Tim Tate

Hillary Clinton's speech is already directed toward 2012,
    although she did pledge her support to the democratic
    party and lastly to Obama since he is the democratic
    nominee!

This woman's burning desire to reside in the whitehouse
    again comes out in her every appearance and she will not
    stop for anyone and/or anything to once again have that
    address! ( Not even Willie)

August 27, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  20. Liz T, Tucson

This is no longer a news network! One can't even watch the convention, just the pundits. When I think about the beginnings of CNN during Desert Shield and Desert Storm, I am dismayed at what you have become. It's PBS and CSPAN for me from now on.

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  21. Obama/Biden

No way, No How, No McCain. Obama has served and earned this nomination by compaigning against his opponent for 19 months. If you think that he stole it I am asking you where have you being during the primary season. Enough of this nonsense and if you are a true Democrat with value you cannot dare stay home or vote for McCain. After all this convention and the election the way you vote will hunt and hurt you for many years in your pockets and the future of this nation. We cannot afford having the US carying its white plate to China and beg them for money. This has never happen before in our history but under this republican government. Having McCain in for four more years we will be begging China for more money and we will face great deception from them.

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. Charles Lewis

Where was the body expert when Bush and Cheney were lying about WMDs, torture, and wiretapping?

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. jeffrey

GIVE ME A BREAK..pick-pick-pick is all you guys do

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. andy

This article is not worth the ink that was used to write it. CNN=National Enquirer. You are starting to sound like a tabloid newspaper. Report the news and stories like it is and its up to the viewers to decide. Don't bring your biased view and shove it down our throat. The balance of a news story is to be reported on every story, not CNN=left and Fox News=right. Your reportes are too busy looking for substance in news and political speeches when they have no substance in their own writing.

August 27, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. Ron from Bel Air

I was counting the number of cricket cricks during Sen Hilton's speech. Nearly always, the higher the count, the more suggestive it is of the Administration taking some Constitutionally ambiguous action, and getting away with it. Moments after he talk began in Denver, the number of cricks went sky high, in obvious agreement were they with the whole animal and insect kingdom, that the Democrats have had it. I don't know what the Republicans had going on, but I know it wasn't good for Hillary or Obama.

Take that, body language-reading CNN.

August 27, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |