August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Todd

CNN, lets create the news, not cover it

August 27, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Chapman

BREAKING: How CNN BLEW THE COVERAGE OF ONE OF THE MOST HISTORICAL POLITICAL EVENTS IN OUR NATIONS HISTORY...
    For complete story tune in to CNN.

August 27, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. lkay

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is rediculous even for CNN. Get a grip and give the public some credit.

August 27, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. Independent

What a crock of you know what.....is CNN trying to create a monster??? Slow news day CNN that you have to come up with this...what is there say on John Mc ??? with his phony smile and so gentle, when we all know that lies under is volcano ready to erupt...

August 27, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. drogers from beverly

I thought only FOX News had a body language reading expert.

August 27, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. Peter from Michigan

oh come on guys!!!
    don't make up stuff when there's nothing else to report!
    take a BREAK!!

August 27, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. modog

Your all a bunch of delusional wrecks. Of course she doesn't fully endorse anyone but herself. Of course her body movements will tell you that. If you didnt know that already you are truly dreaming. DEMS=Looney. Got it.

August 27, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. Kim

Unbelievable...body lanuage as a news discussion? I am very disappointed with CNN. I have been trying very hard to convince my parents to switch to CNN for fair and balance news, but it seems as though you are just like FOX news. So they might as well continue to watch FOX which I consider sometimes to be unfair and unbalanced.

August 27, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. Jbo915

Body language? I feel like I'm reading an article from the FOX network.

Get over it already.

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. Thomas

When did CNN become FOX light?

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. Sue

She said it right during the primaries: BO is not ready to be president.

Because of this awful lying politics, Hillary can never be president. The country would have respected her more if she had stuck to her guns. She knows just like most of the rest of the country that BO would foil this country badly at home and abroad. And the fact that she would say something else in the name of politics is not acceptable from any American statesman/stateswoman.

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. Michelle, PA

I keep saying CNN has turned into just another tabloid. Then I come back to see if there's any news today....and you prove me right. Here's news: I watch 100% of my convention coverage on C-Span. Nobody tells me what I should watch, what I should think about it, or tries to bombard me with endless commercails for the candidates and ED meds.

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  13. me

CNN hearts Obama forever

Somebody's got a Crush!!!

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Confused

When did CNN become a mouthpiece for the Republican party? This is such a stupid story...wonder how many "body experts" they had to go through to get one with a negative slant.

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Kamasri

Body language... well it is indicative of her staunch supporters as well. Watch the clip of Mellissa with Spike lee. Here is a jounalist dissing Spike lee with her face toeward him but body away from him...

August 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. Independent

Oh, I forgot something....CNN you didn't break it first on saying that Biden had the nod....Andrea Mitchell told Brian Williams on the evening news that it was going to be Biden....

With all this junk CNN has been putting forth, I have gone to MSNBC for my Convention news....I just come over to state my case and tell you what I think....BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. Lesley

It's clear to me from the blogs that CNN and Fox will be the losers in this election. I've pretty much gone over to C-SPAN/PBS for convention coverage. I still watch some cable news though, but when I do, I see that it's business as usual. The talking heads give their opinions while the networks vie for the best spin on the story. The political teams should reign in these commentators and not agree or disagree but rather report. Fair and balanced seems to mean that they are unworthy to report news for either side, not just one. I suppose anything not worth doing is not worth doing well.

August 27, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Peter from Michigan

how about:

What did Clintons hairdo reveal that could be interpreted against Obama?
    Or what about her shoes – I believe they were suspicious!
    And the color of her dress – the message is right there: she is not endorsing Obama.
    Oh boy ..

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. Mike

MD in GA

You are a true racist in every sense of the word

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. SaraDallas

A 'body language' expert? Oh Please what a dumb article. Come on CNN! This is the kind of cheesy story I'd expect to see on Bill O'Reilly's dumb show.

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. John in Ohio

People who say "McCain 2008″ and claim to be Hillary supporters disrespect her and everything she stands for, everything she has fought for, and everything she believes in. People who say "McCain 2008 – Hillary 2012″ do not care about the families and the children who will need healthcare between 2008 and 2012. They do not care about the people who will die in McCain's wars, as people have died in Bush's wars. They do not care about the people who will lose their jobs and their homes in that four year period.

In other words, people who say "McCain 2008″ are Republicans. There is no place for shortsighted hatred and a thirst for vengeance in the Democratic Party, that is the drug that the Republicans peddle

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  22. shamsa

I think some plastic surgery was done this summer, she looked extremely well rested and a little stiff around the mouth

August 27, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  23. Mike

Have we really reached an all time low where a Bill O'Reilly segment is now a topic on a "news" site. FOR SHAME

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  24. Desmond Sequeira

With whatever respect is due to this body language "expert", her body language was obviously not "gushy" but it was no different to the body language she has had throughout the primaries. Except, this time she was electrifyingly positive!

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. Dan M. Thompson

Ok folks.......I am sick and tired of all of the pundit's comments, and picking Hillary and her speech apart, as if they were vultures, tearing flesh from a dead carcuss!!!! As far as Hill's comments on Hillary's "body language", what a CROCK of crap!!! Have you no decency? Have you no shame???!!! SHAME on YOU, for trying to keep up the negatives.....they have no place, in the democratic party.....it is because of people like you, who keep the fires stoked, that those of us who really believe that she is in fact the BEST candidate and hope for the democratic party this fall, continue to be skeptic of being able to take back the Whitehouse, in November!!!! It is time to unite, as one party, one voice, and for one candidate, and that candidate is now Obama. The people have spoken, Hillary has spoken, and thrown her full support behind Barack....what the hell more do you people want?!!! Keep it up, and we will get our guts full and just not vote, come November. I am sick of all of the negatives, and the comments of the comments of the analogies......get a life, and find someone else to pick apart, like say, maybe, John McCain!!! You should be ashamed of yourself, and I hope it comes back on you tenfold, sir!!!

August 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |