August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Barbara H

I can't believe people are unable to see through Hillary Clinton. The woman is not sincere. Its all about her and her!
    She is extremelly annoying and I can't wait for her to go away!
    She is supposed to be here in NY helping the State. Instead she's helping herself while on our payroll.
    What a shame. But I continue to pray, Hillary ,please go away!!

August 27, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. macavity

It's about time we had some hard-hitting real journalism at this convention. Thank God for CNN and this insightful look at body language. I can't wait until this becomes a major part of all analysis of speeches, starting with the next one George Bush makes. Or, better, the one Bill Clinton will make tonight. The more, the better! Keep up the good work, CNN!

August 27, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. justjoeindenver

CNN is actually even worse than Fox lately. three days of coverage over how Edwards' affair will bring down the Democratic party, in spite of the fact that he isn't running for anything. Followed by the revelation that McSame has a history of cheating, to include his current possessed Cindy Brady doll, but it's apparently not an issue. Clinton comes out and supports Obama, in spite of the Republicons that switched parties as Agent Provocateurs, and they resort to collecting the "expert opinions" of her body language.... Wow. These are exactly the reasons that I support Obama more than ever. Anyone that scares the corporate-owned media this much has GOT to be my guy. No Way, How How, No McCain. Oh yeah – Lieberman...lol – let's see how THAT plays out.....

August 27, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. Katrina

Your "expert" appears to mix up body language and facial movements.

August 27, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  5. VA Dem

The guy sitting next to Wolf Blitzer rubs me the wrong way.

August 27, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  6. Josh

People making so much about a speech from a lady who has NOTHING to do with this upcoming election? Sure it was a good speech, but did it really matter at all? She's a has been, and always will be.....too bad. as for CNN, this might be a new low.....her body language? What was the color of her ora while she spoke? I don't even like her and this speech blew me away........McCains on the other hand...that would be some great body language reading......He's gonna have a stroke!

August 27, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  7. Steve

CNN is a joke. Bring in a mind reader next to tell us what she was really thinking. Where can you turn for real news?

August 27, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  8. Anonymous

America's Propaganda Network

August 27, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  9. Chris Manno

This type of article is exactly why I have changed the channel to other networks. CNN is truly letting me down with articles/reports such as this.

August 27, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. joe

why would they bother pointing out the obvious ?

August 27, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  11. Kim, Dallas, TX

I have to admit, I used to respect CNN.. But this election cycle has been a real eye opener. It appears that CNN does more to stir things up and keep the Democratic Party divided than other news channels. I rarely watch CNN now and have switched my home page to C-SPAN. Good luck to CNN. YOu have really changed your image in my mind and apparently in many others by reading some of these blogs.

August 27, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  12. vic

seriously.... you should be ashamed, cnn.

what a farce of a news organization. you're getting to be worse than fox.

August 27, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  13. Anonymous

"Critics questioned there'd be enough news in the day to fill a 24 hours timeslot. They were proven right."

August 27, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Jon

LOL!!! You guys crack me up. Its unbelievable how CNN and the other cable news media outlets are trying to dictate the storyline.

August 27, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  15. Peter (CA)

Let it go everyone.

Hillary wanted to be President; she did not want to lose. Although she supports Obama, it cannot be easy for anyone to give up on such a dream.

I don't see an issue here, stop trying to make one up.

Obama/Biden 08

August 27, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. beachgirl

Dan Hill or CNN are wasting time and money analysing Hillary's body language, what a waste! Obviously they know very little about women HA! MEN CANN'T stand the idea that any woman can be smart, successful, admired and respected by 18 million people in America. Hillary was brilliant yesterday and she delivered her message very well, better than Hill or CNN.

August 27, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. Dan No

What the hell is wrong with you people at CNN?

I strongly suggest that your entire staff re-watch the movie Network. This is just like when they hire the psychic to do predictions of next weeks news. A bunch of nonsense.

You coverage is pathetic and it is destroying our nation. Please stop!

August 27, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  18. duh

Stop hiring your correspondents from The Onion.

August 27, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  19. sita

you News People, always say negative stuff for Democratic Party, nerver say anything good about, obama.

August 27, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Adrienne

what rightwing crap.

August 27, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  21. Linda, Chandler AZ

CNN....the COMEDY NEWS NETWORK!!!!

August 27, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  22. David

Is this garbage really the third most important story in world right now?

August 27, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  23. To Doris in Memphis!

Honestly... after all Hillary has done You really need to STFU.. she has done more to show her support than any other losing candidate.. It is honestly the dems throwing up the racist issue... I have always voted democrat but some of these childish rants are just rediculous. I am ashamed to have ever voted democrat the way you people are acting.. Awful, awful, awful.... I will vote for the better of the remaining candidates whoever that proves to be..

August 27, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  24. Anonymous

This is why I stopped watching CNN after the first night of coverage. Stop perpetuating these ridiculous story lines. CNN is trying so HARD to find some sign of failure or widespread discontent. It doesn't exist.

August 27, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. Richard

Body Language Consultants!!!! CNN, what a joke. Your coverage is laughable and you have just lost a viewer.

August 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |