August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Foxymary

I wasn't offended or impressed with Hillary. She did what is expected to retire her champaign debit and if the figure of 10 million is correct I would expect her performance to be top notich. I just want to remind everyone how she was willing to use race as an issue during her champaign. In her speech last night she quoted Tubbman and again I felt she was simply using a sterotype to justify her bad behavior. What African Americans need to remember is Harriett Tubbman was treated so badly by white Suffragists that she asked, "Am I not also a woman?" When people tell you who they are why not believe them? Hillary showed her true values ... "winning all cost" during her champaign. Well, I want more from the leader of the free world. I want someone who has courage and is committed to doing the right thing. I am grateful America has an alternative to the Clintons. I pray that Obama and Biden will have the courage to redirect the country in a more positive direction.

August 27, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  2. Cathy

You mean the same smile she used all during the primaries? I think that she's been fake-smiling so long, all her life, that it IS her real smile now and there's no other way for her to do it. The lines are etched in her face.

I do not doubt this was very hard on her, and I respect her enormously for doing it.

August 27, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. Kelly, Austin, Tx

Unbelievable!! CNN used to be a respected journalistic force to be reckoned with. What happened?? The first 24 hour newscast that kept us informed of important events happening in our nation and around the world. I guess you have to resort to manufactoring the news now. You might as well sign off. -30-

August 27, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  4. Paulette

This Clinton supporter will be voting for McCain.

August 27, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. jimtranr in Oregon

One more example of why the news media is held in about as high regard as W or Congress.

August 27, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. #1 Hillary Suppoter

CNN give me a break!!!!!! You are reading people body language now? Hillary Clinton gave a wonderful speech last night! This women is amazing & everything she said last night was from the heart. You news stations make me sick! I am a Clinton supporter & I think that she should of got the nomination not OBAMA!!!!!! I don't think this man has enough experience to run the country. And you know whats even more sad is that for the 1st time this election has been all about race!!!! I am a black female who has had many conversations with my friends about who they are going to vote for . And because Obama is a black man some of them are voting for him. I think that Hillary should of been asked to be vice president because if obama is elected the next president he needs alot of help. We know nothing about him that should tell people that this might not be the way to go. I will not vote for OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!! PS Did you have that person read Michelle Obama body language last night? What was that ? it was jealousy, envy& hate! She will never be like Hillary!!

August 27, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. Aj

Who cares. You really think this is newsworthy? And to top it off front page news? This is why I turn to real news agencies when I want to know what is really going on in the world.

What does her body language reveal?

Rapper drops F bomb.

Get real folks how about the news that people actually want to know about. For example

Violence in Pakistan, 71 migrants from Malta drown. I mean really folks, CNN is so ethnocentric and that is opposite of what the news is supposed to be, or at least that is what I thought.

At this point I am not even going to bother with CNN for some time.

Just pathetic!

August 27, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  8. Mike

I have a strong background in Creative Writing, I would like to apply for a job with CNN.

August 27, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  9. Brian

The whole Convention is about Hillary. I thought Obama was the Candidate? Typical Liberal nonsesnse.

August 27, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. Fairfax Patriot

CNN NOW HAS RISEN AT LEAST TO THE LEVEL OF THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER

Are we also going to have a body language analysis of McCain's speech?

I can't wait to hear want Hilary's palm readings say.

What drivel when we have troops DYING everyday.

I am ashamed of CNN –

BYE!

August 27, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. Independent-Latina-for-OBAMA

KEEP UP THE DRAMA...........CNN............... DID YOU NOT LISTEN TO THE LADY??????????? MRS. CLINTON WAS CLEAR, GRACIOUS, KIND, INSPIRING!

IN 2016, WHEN SHE RUNS AGAIN SHE WILL HAVE MY VOTE!

August 27, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. ClintonDem4Cynthia08

As long as most of the PUMAS vote for Cynthia, I dont care what her body language says. go GREEN!

August 27, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. Rodham Democrat

I LOVE Hillary and the Clintons... but I realized she wouldn't want me to vote for a Republican....

Republicans made her life miserable in the '90s by propping up Gennifer Flowers & Paula Jones, debacled her Universal Healthcare Plan, tried to diminish her HISTORIC Senate candidacy, and silently pushed their miserable talk radio friends Rush Limpdi** and Pee-On Hannity to belittle her during the Monica Lewinsky scandal when it wasn't even her fault....

Hillary despises Republicans more than anything.... she wouldn't want them to win and be happy when they are so down right now!

August 27, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  14. FlaDem

She endorsed Obama, what more do you want? Her speech was was moving, the delegates loved it. I can not believe you are nit-picking like this. Did she blink too many times too? Get Over it, she endorsed Obama......Let it be....

August 27, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  15. Joan Vezina

Hilary's speech was amazing...whether her smiles were "real" or "crocodile", she's a bigger women than I. I was amused that in the early stages of her speech, she affirmed that she was a "proud mother", a "proud American", a "proud senator" etc., but what was conspicuously missing was a "proud wife"!! You Go Girl – and we all are "proud of YOU"!!!

Joan Vezina
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

August 27, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  16. jon

the biggest problem in this election is the media. i have long considered cnn my main outlet for news, but no longer. it is divisive and sensationalist. since when is cnn the national enquirer? this body language stuff is terrible. i have a phd in psychology, and study nonverbal behavior, and i can tell you that although dan hill is a great speaker, he is just saying what cnn wants to hear to make news.

August 27, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  17. Scott

Talk about trying to find controversy in nothing. What do you want her to do? She is heart broken, no one denies that, but she DOES support Obama, certainly over McCain. Get off this high school crap, and grow up already.

August 27, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  18. Nick

Once again, CNN is a joke.

August 27, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  19. TLH

Wow, CNN amazes me everytime. Why is the media pushing so hard to show that there is no unity? Is there any unbiased reporting anymore?

August 27, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  20. Linda from Indiana

This is really stupid. Hillary gave a speech that will go down in history. Who cares what her face reader thought? She was beautiful, charming, and gracious. Let's see a man be that gracious about losing!

August 27, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  21. Avid Reader.

Wow.... The only thing I can say about this "newsworthy" article, is that I will not be logging on to cnn.com anymore.

August 27, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  22. Pam, Long Beach, CA

What is the matter with CNN...you are the most VAPID news media! I know you want the Democrats to lose, but you have sunk to new levels! Maybe you should be consulting with palm readers and fortune tellers. By the way, your readers are smarter than your journalists!

August 27, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  23. jamal

whoa...hold down people..........................
    hillary clinton did not show much.............................she didn't even smile......
    our country needs change........and the person who can change and end this war is .........................BARACK OBAMA.........................period!!!!!!!!

......................NO MCcAIN.............................

WAKE UP AMERICA. AND VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA.

August 27, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  24. jamal

WAKE UP AMERICA..........................................
    WE NEED CHANGE................................CHANGE WE CAN BELIVE IN
    THIS NATION SERVERED MORE AND MORE ............................................
    .VOTE FOR BARACK OBAM.

.....................BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT..........................................

August 27, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  25. D. L. Foster

Let it go, guys. You've milked this story long enough.

August 27, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |