August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Anonymous

I could swear I remember a time, way back when, that CNN was a news organization.

I might be wrong.

August 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. Shari, NY

Who cares about body language? Whether she spoke from the heart or not many people have already decided who they are voting for come hell or high water.

August 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. what the?

Give me a break! Body language is going to determine if her voters back Obama! Put some real news up!

August 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. GOCUBS

You have got to be kidding !!! .An expert in ESP to tell us what she is thinking.

August 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. David B

The silliness of CNN's political coverage is completely out of control. How much of this childish junk do you expect people to wade through before you'll cover ISSUES?!?!?!?

August 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  6. Doris,Memphis, TN

To: The PUMAS
    From: Black America

If Senator Obama does not win. Hillary will never be president!
    2012 will be our turn.

August 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. Eric

This is a little ridiculous. Aren't we over analyzing a bit here?

August 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. Tammy - KCMO

It's time to unite behind Obama and send the Republicans home.

Ignore the posts from PUMAs and Republican's out to cause trouble and the slanted media articles being used to inflame the division to keep their ratings up.

August 27, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. MDH, Watertown CT

What – you mean she really doesn't want Obama to win in 2008, so she (supposedly) can run in 2012? What a surprise (NOT)!

August 27, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Ready for Change

Well, she did what she needed to do, it is not after all, her job to get Obama elected. Most of Hillary's supporters, are people who have voted democratic before, sometimes their whole life, sometimes for Bill Clinton, sometimes for Reagan. Obama makes the claim to be the great uniter, so if he cannot get democrats who have voted for democrats their entire life to vote for him, is that really anybody's fault but his own?

August 27, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Lune

you got it right

August 27, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Fort Collins,Colorado

CNN ......What are you doing??!! Anything to tear at the possibilty of Obama being elected!! Do you want McCain? Probably because it is you guys who make more then $250,000.00 a year who are going to pay taxes on Obamas plan..which depends on how much over you are making. I am trying to stay with CNN news, but you people are getting on my last nerve. Bet if it was up to the employees of CNN McCain would be elected! I just keep wondering what is in it for your company? Do you not realize it effects all of us Americans? McCain is four more years of Bush (don't think anymore has to be said) I would rather take a chance on Obama because there is HOPE. With McCain we already know what we are going to get...Bush again maybe worse. Just report the news keep you opinions to yourself. I for one do not want to hear your biased thinking. But then MSMBC is the news I watch 75% of the time, will probably make it 100% by the time this convention is over!

13. Mike

It was a great speech, I can not believe that first of all, shes not our nominee, and that second of all, she was not even considered for the the Vice President slot. Very well spoken, unfortunatly I have a mind of my own, and unlike obama supporters, can make up my own mind instead of blindly following a candidate no matter how much we like them as a person, reguardless of their policies.

the puma movement lives, McCain '08

14. Brian

Her body langauge? You've got to be kidding me. CNN should stop scandal-mongering.

15. marcelo

the analyst doesn't know what they are talking about. that was the most I have ever seen Hillary be animated and sincere.

CNN, report news and stop trying to start drama.

16. Mike Arlington

CNN coverage of this convention has been a disaster. Every blogger on the web is completely disgusted in your fascination of the Hillary issue. I understand you all are concerned with the all mighty $$$, but please, lets go back to reporting news and not creating your own. America deserves better.

17. Jeanne

You guys crack me up.....What did you all think Hillary was suppose to do, jump up and down in support of Obama? Cut her a break, no other nominee has come out to support Obama. I think it was awfull that Hillary was made to even speak at the convention. Hillary was truely the only real democratic representative. They need to declair a new party for Obama, the socialist party. I hope when the election is over and Obama looses, the party regrets having dissed Hillary by not electing her as the party front runner or a least VP.

18. Dave C - NJ

GOOD LORD!

This reeks of more of the same GOP slime river that's churning out such comments like "She didn't say he was ready to lead."

She said the "FATE OF THE COUNTRY AND OUR CHILDREN'S LIVES DEPEND ON GETTING OBAMA INTO OFFICE."

And if she is bitter and you want to uncover that by psychoanalyzing her or giving her a freakin polygraph, go ahead.

Obama is on the ticket...move forward people!

19. still4hill

and i guess noone's going to bother to analyze the tight smirk that michelle obama had on her face all night; like smoke was about to come out of her ears having to sit through listening to hrc. she did not crack a full smile the entire speech, no matter how much hrc praised her and her husband.

when obama loses in november, it will NOT be hrc's fault. she's done all that she could possibly do, but WE WILL REMEMBER!!!

20. RR in AZ

Give me a break! CNN your starting to get silly & STUPID!!

21. Sad American

This a joke? CNN trying so hard to undo anything that is pro Obama. Clearly if your investigative reporters even tried, they can find an onslaught of negative McCain information.

Or does it sell more web advertising to attack and try to invent the bad in the good guy?

Just like 1 bad move negates 100 good moves in life, we perpetuate pathetic human tendencies almost in a escalating manner for individual gain.

Shame on you CNN and shame on you ignorant population that eats this up. If you are influenced by an analyst (aka opinion giver) then you dont deserve the right to vote. Go watch some reality TV and blinding be lead in to the future of United States of Idiocracy.

-Z

22. SONGBIRD MCCAIN

And what about the color of her pantsuit??! That obviously indicated that she thinks Obama is a Muslim. Good work, CNN.

23. John

Body language "expert?" Give me a break. That's the way Hillary looks when she gives a speech. Her presentation was articulate and genuine. Any "sign" that she was pained in some way just might reflect the fact that a lifetime of commitment– leading to an historical run to be president– was derailed. I doubt that most people would be able, under the circumstances, to comport themselves as well as she has.

24. Oh Boy!!!???

Are you married, Dan?

I would of loved to broadcast your body language as you said I do.

What's next, who has the least offensive cologne/perfume.

Get a real job, Dan. If you could see my body language now?...

August 27, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. Scott Robinson-Woodinville

Hey, Disgusted republican! Let me tell you somethin'!!!

You are absolutely freaking right.

As a disgusted democrat, I absolutely can not believe we are trying to psychoanalyze Clinton's FREAKING BODY LANGUAGE! War; the economy; the Supreme Court; experience vs. understanding the world of the future; health care; energy; there are real issues that get precious little time discussed as it is. Focus on what matters, even if it hurts the ratings.

August 27, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |