August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. keywslt

Dear Fox "news", um, I mean CNN. Why are you promoting this? Where are your standards heading? Hillary's supporters are loyal. They are not stupid. Give us some news. Not dribble!

August 27, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. Feron

Good job CNN, you have achieved an all time low...wow

August 27, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Brigitte

What kind of news is CNN presenting here? Body language!? The CNN Team needs to analyze a bit deeper into the type of news presenting here: Body Language!

August 27, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. PUMA moving on...

CNN, GIVE IT UP. There isn't anything more she can do and she's done plenty. I am on board with her message...you high ratings for this story line are going to become a little chilly.

Why?

As angry as I've been about the treatment of Hillary by Obama's supporters.
    As angry as I've been about the DNC selecting our candidate for us.
    As angry as I've been about the media's treatment of Hillary, I'll vote for Obama.

Hillary was absolutely right; it's not about us or them (or her or Obama), it's about America's future. We need to return to the good times of the Clinton Administration and I believe Obama (with some help) can get us there with Hillary at his side (I keep thinking about that woman with cancer who adopted two autistic kids).

I hope you haters really appreciate what Hillary has done here…completely self-less and for the people. I think some of you owe her and us an apology. I think Carville said it best: "Politics is kind of like a family. You fight and make up." I'm ready to make-up here folks..

August 27, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Shane H.

Body language? The average voter isn't paying attention to a speaker's body language, unless it is something drastic. And I don't remember anything drastic from Clinton. No, the important part of a SPEECH is the SPEAKING.

6. Jim

Get over it, why do we keep analyzing and analyzing the Clinton's every move. The media has caused more the divide than the Clinton's.

7. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

Time to turn to CSPAN and let CNN slither back under a rock. When I changed to CSAN last night I got to see all of the speeches. Way more interesting than CNN commentators and their constant baiting.

8. Nick

This really is a pathetic story. Perhaps we should let people speak for themselves.

9. Steven Hammond

The one thing that really surprised me was that she stated she was a proud Mother and a proud Democrat and a proud American. She did not say she was a proud Wife. I think this statement was very important in here overall make up.

Steve
    Kentucky

10. akaDoug

My God CNN! Body Language!?!?!?! Will you please stop, the lady gave a great speech and stated her opinion! Making up drama will not work!

I supported and voted for Hillary and I will now gladly support and vote for Obama!

No Way! No How! No McCain!

11. Chi4Obama

To CNN,
    Enough with the "spin" already. Please take Clinton's words for what they were. And quit trying to manufacture additional controversy. (i.e. what Hillary really meant, etc.).

I would expect this from Faux (Fox) News. But I thought CNN was better. SHAME ON YOU!

12. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Oh GIVE IT UP CNN! You're picking this to death, and it serves no positive purpose. Go back to reporting real news.

13. anks

i am looking forward for Day and CNN and other news channel will have Body language people for their so called experts to analyze them, and get sense on how they read the cooked story ......

I know its AI age but let us be HUMAN please

14. Indiana Ed

What? Do you want her to cry again? Get over it people! The speech was great and inspiring! Leave the body language experts to FOX, they don't do journalism anyway!

15. jim

Are you frigen kidding CNN? What are you going to do next call in a mind reader. Seriously this is the most bizzare article I have ever read. I don't think McCain is the only one loosing his bearings.

16. Chris

Please, just stop. I can't believe the media is focusing so much energy on this phony "split" in the party. Hillary could not have been more unequivocal last night. How about talking about the real issues?

17. Not in the ballpark

This is very silly, CNN. Move on to real issues.

18. Will in Richmond, VA

This is dumb.

Can we move on? Her speech did what it was supposed to. And she seemed genuine to me. No one wants to lose, especially when everyone expects you to win.

Quit beating this dead horse.

19. Abe

CNN? Surely, you're kidding? A "crocodile smile"? Who are these experts and how where do they go to school to get degrees in the science of body language??

20. Kelby from Houston, TX

CNN can't be serious... Not with reporting like this. This looks like cnn wants to be biased

21. Tim, Seattle

CNN,

The new low in cable news.

22. Lancedal

So you think "body language" is the true reflection of her feeling? Yeah? why not mute your TV when watching next time. CNN, you guys are so sick.

23. Sean

CNN, the leader in made-up news and contrived controversy! Keep up the good work guys!

"The Best Political Team on Television" – I'm trying not to laugh...

24. Kathryn, Nevada

Hillary did an excelent job. She showed her support, and promoted Obama, without loosing face. What did you people expect her to say?
    "Oh, by the way, I LIED when I said Obama is not ready to be president?" Or maybe, " Oh and I lied when I said Obama has a thin resume?" Now your nit picking her body language? How much lower would you like to go just to get headlines?

August 27, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. Katie

Oh for gosh sake people let it go!! CNN has gone nuts with this garbage.

August 27, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |