August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. ralph

my God guys stop it,Hillary did her best What more do you guys want???
    or you guys just don!t want OBAMA to win?
    body language?????
    give her more respect please......

2. Kevin in PA

Lame. Very lame, CNN.

Your "coverage" of the Democratic Convention has gotten ridiculous. Do you even remember what the second "N" in CNN stands for?

3. rigdenpoet

I hope you do the same thing at The Republican National Convention.

John McCain's body language reveals he is already deceased and is only capable of 19th century ideas.

More awesome "journalism"

4. lexel

The problem with us Americans is that we tend to MICRO-analyze everything to the nth digit that we fail to understand or capture the bigger picture. This makes us appear very intelligent and foolish at the same time....in other words, laughable!

5. Weary

As journalists, it is your job to REPORT the news, not create controversy and drama to boost ratings and retain viewers.

You people are starting to make me sick.

6. Larry

What HC said last night did not come from his inner mind, just for her own political aspiration. The real statements were those made during primary. She can not wait till 2016. She want BHO to loose, for her 2012 bid.

7. Vasilios Birlidis

Very SAD CNN. are you really so at a loss for important news to report on that you had to create this sorry excuse to continue the drama surrounding the Obama Clinton relationship.

the poor woman can win for losing.

8. JER

FOX NEWS is bullying CNN to the point that now they even copy O'Reilly's body language charades. I did not know CNN was so easily bullied, what shame. HRC was great, clear and connected. No matter what she said, the media would insist that somehow, she is an underhanded, terrible person and, by the way, so is Barack. That is why women and minorities cannot win in this nation - they are held to higher standards. McCain can lie about the color of the sky and we would never hear about it. Shameful and pathetic.

9. karol

That CNN has become so predictable and non news!!

It is Obama's time CNN and rightfully so!

10. jmel

You MUST be joking. Honestly, she is likely the best public speaker I have ever scene, both within politics and the business realm. To suggest that she was smirking is confrontational. She was warm, engaging, articulate, open and best of all she CONNECTED with the electorate. Please dispense with these cynical and inflammatory puff pieces and lets address the real issues, like Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama are trying to do.

11. cmon

You all know she is telling the party's leaders and people one thing then backroom telling her supporters "think 2012." You don't need a body language expert to know that.

12. Sad sad sad

Seriously, cover some issues. Just CNN thinking of covering policy would be newsworthy in and of itself!

13. Deb

Unbelievable how there is a story to be spun here. She gave an amazing speech, a believable speech. This had to be a very tough night for her but she came through. I have always been an Obama supporter and as one I thank Hillary Clinton whom I have admired for a long time. She should be praised not analyzed.

14. mama4obama

I have had enough of the divisive reporting. I really think that all this drama has been created by the media....who apparently have something to gain if psycho PTSD McCain wins.

Moving on!!!!!!

15. Gina, Baltimore, Maryland

I give up! Hillary just can not win. Who cares what her supposed body language said. I thought her speech was amazing. She is so polished, intelligent and has great charisma. Too bad the media didn't play that up while she was debating. If they did, perhaps we would have a female president. I have much faith in her judgement, therefore, I will vote for Mr. Obama. The only bone I have to pick with him is, why did he pick Biden? He should have chosen Hillary. But he's no dummy. He knows she is the star.

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Adrian

Give it up CNN with your republican body language expert.

We will be united by the end of the convention.

Obama/Biden 08

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. Joe

nuts to you CNN.

please bring us NEWS we can use, not useless information.

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  18. REG in AZ

Boy some will go to any length to stir the pot. Is this a Republican sponsored effort to stir up trouble or a CNN effort to keep the intensity of the story going? This is a new one and I think that tells us just how valuable this information is. What people won't do to try to corrupt others thinking and manipulate their vote.

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  19. pete taylor

This guy is an absolute idiot. Some people will do anything to promote their books and themselves. I wish he could read my body language now. Go get a real job dude!

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. stacy

absolutely get this person to analyze Michelle Obama's face that was
    camera zoomed in some during Hillary's speech, fear, hate, envy,
    or what?

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. MT, Texas

You could definitely see the body language, but it's no surprise that she is not genuine in her "support" for Obama. I mean, sho can blame her. She connected with voters and I'm not sure if her speech won't be more memorable than Barack's. I think she just reminded her voters why she got their vote, and why Barack wasn't their guy.

Of course, she ultimately delivered the right message, but did you see the tension on Michelle Obama's face? She looked angry and disgusted. Maybe it was because she was so upstaged, but most likely it was because she knew the real story behind the Obama / Clinton relationship.

I expect that Bill will be even less likely to hide his animosity toward Barack tonight.

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. EC

SHOULD WE ANALYZE HER HAIR COLOR OR THE JEWELRY SHE WEARS TOO? SHOULD WE ANALZYE THE MOON AND THE STARS WHEN SHE SPOKE LAST NIGHT AND THE NIGHT MICHELE OBAMA SPOKE TOO????

CNN, YOUR KILLING US WITH THESE LAME AND STUPID NONSENSE.... ENOUGH ALREADY.....

August 27, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Jumpinugly

Good old divide-and-conquer Hillary.
    You LOST, get over it. Could we all please move on?! We've got to kick some NeoCon butt!

August 27, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Same with me. I have suspended watching CNN until they transform themselves a TV station worthy of my time.

August 27, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. Tanya

Someone is actually paying this man to do this, um, thing that he is doing?!!
    Sorry, must rush out to order myself business cards!

August 27, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |