August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Paul FL

ENOUGH HILARY CNN!!!!!!

GIVE US A BLOODY BREAK!!!

August 27, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. SFnomad

What a crock. The magnitude of the Obama/Clinton rift is a media creation and a right wing "Operation Chaos". I was a Clinton supporter and still am, but when you look at the campaign platforms for both Clinton and Obama, the differences are small.

Obama vs. McSame …. It’s a no-brainer.

August 27, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. YoungGrad

This whole body language stuff is a pseudoscience. I don't buy any of it

August 27, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Of course there wasn't the whole body saying "yes." Clinton still has some resentment. She wanted to win and didn't. Can you blame her? I wouldn't think so.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. O PUMA

its was the BOTOX stupid.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  6. Jon

Who cares? This is so stupid. A crocodile smile? Dan Hill should go solve problems instead of creating controversy that doesn't exist.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  7. Rick Nelsen

I'm just about ready to end my watching CNN and their so called best convention news cast. Now you have stooped to a new low by having a hired gun in the form of a body language expert tell us about new drivel. Way to much air time not enough important content.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. S. Boatman

This Guy Was Scratching His Behind When He Made This Statement. . . He Was Obviously Lying About Hillary!

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. Antony

Frankly, i used to respect CNN as a news channel... But seriously u guys are pushing it a way too bit now – whats with u and the obsession with the Clinton/Obama issue... I strongly believe that this would not be as big an issue as it is today if you guys showed a bit more responsibility... Please, I beg u, as a citizen of this world – take pride in your job, and dont make a mockery of journalism.
    Its high time u stopped giving importance to all these non-issues – the Clinton/Obama issue, the negative ads, Obamas cycling gear and McCains houses.
    Focus on the issues... It would make a world of difference. Make this world a better place, by focusing your thoughts on how to improve the economy, how to stop the war and bring peace with all nations and religions, to heal gaia – mother earth and stop global warming.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  10. obama/clark '08

dan hill needs to find a new profession.he's hardly the best expert in this field.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  11. Bobby Yarush / Baghdad,Iraq

I'd really like to know the need of the interpretation of "Body Language" this to me unless your detecting criminal activity is rediculous. If I do not determine in my own mind that body language has indicated anything else that that particular person nervous ticks.... then why in the world should I rely on the interpretation of some stranger as to what said ticks indicate?? This, to me, is a useless source of information. Lets just stick with the issues.... Hmmm... what a concept that is.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. elizabeth

Puleeze! Leave the woman alone! She did an incredible job. It may have been her finest moment.

I wonder what Dan Hill's body language might have looked like standing in front of that crowd?

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  13. Are you kidding me?

C'mon, now. Let's get serious.

August 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  14. Dare you to post this

CNN is so pathetic in trying to analyze every breath and sneeze of the Democrats and so eager to create divisions between Democrats. Aren't there VITALLY important issues relevant to the nation to report than to waste time on discussing body language of Hillary in the "Political Ticker"? As a former CNN enthusiast, it is sad to see CNN slowly degrade to the level of supermarket tabloids.

CNN is owned by Time Warner, a BIG corporation, hence will try everything it can to divide the Democrats and get McCain elected.

Best alternative to CNN is CSPAN.

15. dbad

CNN = Comedy News Network

16. Latina for Obama...NJ

To Puma moving on...Im with you 100%!!!

GO DEMOCRATS!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

17. TRACY

I don't even like Hilary and I can tell that CNN is just looking for drama here. The FCC should regulate this so called news network into la-la land where they belong. Post that!

18. yada yada yada

lol, just anything to keep feeding the whole false story of Hillary vs. Barack ...

19. Chi4Obama

This probaly won't get posted.

However, I would expect this from "FIX" (FOX) NEWS. But cmon CNN. You are beginning to lose credibility as a legit news organization very fast. Body language analysis...give me a break.

20. Sue in MI

Here we go-more spin from CNN, which used to be reliable and a news network. No more.

I'm watching MSNBC, where you actually hear more of the speakers than of the the commentators-there's a concept for CNN! I also saw a cool shot of Bill Clinton applauding for his wife, and mouthing the words "I love you" several times. That was nice (and no comment necessary!)

21. Mike G

Ummm... you know this is Hillary, right?
    Whenever she does a big smile it just looks fake and creepy.

CNN has officially lost it, and is trying to create news where there isn't any. Sorry the convention is boring guys, maybe you could focus on Georgia, the Tornado, or whatever Paris Hilton is wearing if you find this so boring. I want real news from CNN!

22. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Of course she did not "emote"; she doesn't genuiinely support Senator Obama. Try as she might, talking loud while mostly talking about herself does not translate to endorsing Obama for President. A shame, too, because future POTUS will probably give this lackluster ingrate a Cabinet position. With a little luck she'll be too busy WORKING, which will keep her piehole more or less shut a good deal of the time.

23. knl

I think it has been over analyzed and anyway she did what she was told to do, so back off already.

24. Chris

OK now that's just sad.

Who wold have thought that PBS would be the best politcal NEWS team to cover the convention.

25. Robert

What a crock!

Could it possibly be that she just isn't a great speaker and was not comfortable? This was the best speech I've ever seen her give and she still looked stiff.

Quit trying to manufacture news and try reporting on the candidate's true positions on the issues. Take them apart on their plans not on how a smile looked like a smirk.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29