August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Maggie

This is really getting out of hand now. Will you please stop analyzing Clinton on her speech. She has done what she wanted to do and now you are trying to read her body language. Get real and leave the woman alone. I hope you will do the same thing when Joe Biden speaks tonight because he had alot of negatives said against Obama. So I hope you will get an expert to read his body language and also his face to see if he is genuine. Joe Biden is the one you have to worry about because he is the VP candidate not Hillary Clinton so please check him out thoroughly. If you can do that to Clinton and she is no longer a part of the campaign then you should be doing it to Biden because he is one of the inner circle now. Lets hope I will read a blog tomorrow with his body language being analyzed. CNN Please give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still behind Hillary 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. laurie

I think I feel like those supporters of Hillary. I personally have been a lifelong Republican and feel we need a change, but is Obama the change we need?!? I sorely feel like our country is being taken in by a snake charmer and we only hear the polish and shine the media wants us to and nothing of substance. I would have voted for Clinton definately not for Obama and that just leaves McCaine. This maybe an emotional reaction but I have no good feelings about Obama.

August 27, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. Chris

This is awesome!!! That is what I've thought.

August 27, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  4. Marcelo

Why not read some tea leaves or hire an astrologer? This is what you call journalism?

No wonder people are flocking to blogs.

August 27, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. John McCain 08

What about Michelle Obama's body language?

She was giving Hillary dirty looks the whole time she was giving her speech. The only time Michelle smiled was when Hillary mentioned Obama....

Hillary 2012!

August 27, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. BigBear

Hillary really does know Obama. And what she knows, she doesn't like. As a Senator for almost 4 times as long as Obama, she knows that he hasn't done anything, either for the country or for the state of Illinois. She knows that he is an empty suit, that the Party Leaders are stuck with and have to build up in any way that they can.
    If his rhetoric is able to overcome the intelligence of the nation, and he wins, then next time the Democrats will run a High School Senior. They will believe less knowledge and accomplishment is a winning combination.

August 27, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. sky

absolutely ridiculous....why don't you get a clown to give us hints about her makeup or the trim of her eyebrows.....maybe a clothing expert from BRAVO TV to examin the cut of her pantsuit......

I dont even like Hillary and that was a brilliant speech. Why dont you guys try as hard as you can to take away ANY benefits that speech had so that your lovely newsprogram will have more angst to dwell on.

Pathetic.....the fact is.....with all of her heart.....she does not want a Republican to win and any imbecile can see that.

You guys never cease to amaze me

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. Jim

Hey CNN, here's some body language for you: my middle finger as I switch the channel to MSNBC.

What a joke your network has become. How about actually reporting the news instead of making it up?

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Winston

I didn't see anything that I haven't already seen. Senator Clinton may very well be an honest person who wishes nothing more than to be a public servant. However, to me she just never comes off that way. I'm sorry but you can't tell the entire country one thing and then a few months later say "forget that whole I'm better than him thing."

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. Larry

Gooooooooooooooooooo HC for 2012.

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. Patrick

What bull. Are the GOP paying you, CNN, because you seem determined to spend the whole coverage of the convention talking up a non-existent split between Hillary and Obama. Get over it and start doing your job.

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. Capricio

DIVISIVE AND SMEARING, ENOUGH ALL READY! ENOUGH DAM it! YOU'RE PISSING alot of PEOPLE off ABOUT POLITICS-

ENOUGH ALL READY!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. Joyce in Florida

Hillary Clinton was presidential in stature. I noticed that every time the camera was on Michelle Obama, I could see the daggers in her eyes. Of course, she had to put on a good front, but we all know that Michelle does not like Hillary. My husband said that Michelle needs to work on her facial expressions big time. Michelle's body language during Hillary's speech was unquestionably uncomfortable to say the least. If she is to be the first lady (sigh), then she better shape up real fast. She just looked mean and spoiled. I didn't see Michelle's speech on Monday, but I am sure that she did not receive the same intensity as Hillary's.

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Cory

MSNBC is too far left ( i think Chris Matthews would make out with Obama) FoxNews is well....Fox News and i dont even know what CNN has turned to but its complete crap. please dont make me watch CSPAN. it may bore me to tears but its better than the other options.....

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Nick

Boy, you guys will do anything to push a storyline tha'ts not there, won't you?

The irony that the very thing that could unite the party is a consesus to fight the media's consistent attempts to divide it.

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. John

So what? Even if she is unhappy to endorse Obama, can you blame her? She has the same number of votes if not more. She has as much right to be the nominee, if not more, as Obama. It's difficult for her and her supporters to abandon the campaign and give up all she had achieved. I think she had been brave and gracious. She deserves more credit than what people have given her.

August 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. Capricio W

ENOUGH ALL READY!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. Chi4Obama

So what are the qualifications for becoming a "body language expert".

I may be in the wrong line of work LOL.

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. W O W WO W

S O L I C I T I N G--$ $ 1 0 $ $ M I L L I ON --–

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. Willy

She gave a sppech about her and she did say Obama 12 times.

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  21. Spencer from VA

Her body language told me that she was 100% behind Sen. Obama. I didn't see any of those smurks that she usually makes.

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  22. Mishra, Janardan

She should have said loudly and clearly urging those voters who supported her to cast the vote to Barak on behalf of herself.
    She should have loudly spoken with a big and honest smile ' not crocodile smith' and tell " Dear voters, NOW there is no difference between me and Barak as we are in the same boat with the same destination and the same objective of solving or reducing the present pain in America. PLEASE VOTE TO BARAK FOR THE BRIGHT FUTURE AND I SPECIALLY URGE TO THOSE WHO VOTED ME TO GO TO THE POLL WITHOUT FAIL AND VOTE BARAK OBAMA and that will be real complement to me now.

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  23. Sandy

CNN – get real. Report the news.

This was riduculous...guess that is why I have been turning to MSNBC more lately.

I want to hear more about the issues.

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. Austin

Just goes to show you that Hillary's once supporters now turned to McCain are racist and continue to plague our society. AND

If that is not the case I guess it is alright to discriminate against age.

That is what McCain is trying to capitalize on. Not fair that you would get shut down for playing the race card but it is perfectly Okay to play the age discrimination.....I thought that was Illegal?

Oh well I would rather have a bunch of more wars in the future and No economic back bone so my daughter will have the chance to get drafted and fight in a war which she doesn't agree with and in turn when she (if) gets back she won't be able to make it in life because our economy will be flushing down the toilet rapidly.

Thank you Hillary Supporters now my daughter will not have the opportunity to Excell in life like your all knowing women leader.....RACIST COUNTRY and that is why the rest of the world hates us!!!!! CNN you have contributed to this by reinforcing that this was fake and not a real support speach-WAY TO GO CNN

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  25. Toby

Once again, CNN goes for the side show and ignores the important news. Not only news of the election, but what's been happening in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are soldiers facing murder charges, allegations against our troops of bombings of civilians, general unrest. And Iran? For this news, you have to go to the foreign press on the internet. CNN goes for fluff and ignores the news that ... wait! ... There goes a runaway bride!!!!

August 27, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |