August 27th, 2008

Gergen: Best Since He Left the White House

Bill Clinton got the crowd cheering during his convention speech.
Bill Clinton got the crowd cheering during his convention speech.

Bill Clinton delivered the best, most effective and most important speech since he left the White House. Not only did he offer up a rousing embrace of the Obama-Biden team, not only did he validate the qualifications and readiness of the Democratic ticket, but he was the first one at this convention to paint a bright, clear picture of the crucial choices voters face this November.

Next week, we will hear a strong - and perhaps equally compelling - rebuttal from the Republicans. Everyone will want to weigh the arguments carefully.

Watch: Bill Clinton says Obama is ready to lead

But for the moment, the Democrats have the public stage, and Bill Clinton has just become a crucial force on behalf of Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

Watch: Bill Clinton: I support Obama

Finally, let me recognize that I am only a single person speaking. The people who count the most are really you, the voters. Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Xango 08 & 12

did not Gergen work for clinton ?
    of course he will crown both bill and hillary
    so will wolf who is in love with billary
    so will crawley who is crawling becasue she is hillary's lover

oh god what a drama

CNN and the clintons another day to live

the circus is still going

they love the clintons after all: Clinton National Network News

what else is new from a biased, old, outdated, national enquirer

August 27, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. Finally At Peace

To all the Obama Supporters who have spent the past twelve months vehemently bashing the both the Clintons and all 18 million of her supporters...between last night and tonight you now KNOW why we have been such staunch supporters!

We are not racists.

We are not uneducated.

We are committed Democrats who had conviction for our candidate.

Thank you to both Senator Hillary and President Bill for rising to your greatness and shining for us all.

Now, if all the Obama supporters could reach within themselves, appologize for their insults and slander, and extend the olive branch to the "sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits" we can truly unite for our children and grandchildren behind a President Barack Obama.

August 27, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. JAS

Bill gave a great speech tonight. I'm still not voting for Obama.

August 27, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  4. Sue in MI

Well, Biden's speech was pretty dull, or maybe just his delivery. Bill had wonderful catchy lines every paragraph, as did Hillary. Biden was stuck with "that's not change..." over and over again. His son is someone to watch though.

If anything, the last two nights should be giving Dean and Pelosi some pause. Hillary should be on top of the ticket, with Obama as VP. Sure win! I don't know what they were thinking, but I hope it works out. I PRAY it does.

August 27, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. sarah1

as a democrat and a voter i have to say that just because mr. clinton says obama is ready for the job does not mean that it is true. obama is not qualified for this job and i will never vote for him.

August 27, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  6. Jerry Stockman/ Glasgow, Missouri

Hillary last night and Bill tonight told us why a Clinton should be in this race.. Head and shoulders over all the other speakers. This convention was flat until Hillary excited the crowd last night. And Bill electrified the crowd tonight.

August 27, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  7. Damir Kentucky

Excellent speech by President Clinton. Obama can not win without the Clintons, and to Obama supporters, stop wining! Bill and Hillary Clinton are the hearts of Democratic Party. They have always been party unifiers ALWAYS, so stop talking trash ! By the way, I hope Hillary Clinton will run in 2012

August 28, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  8. Republican for Obama

Great speech. The real issues that affect common folks. America cant afford the Bush-Mccain approach anymore. I'm the first to defect.

August 28, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  9. Olga

"We lead by the power of our example, not by the example of our power."

The best line of the evening. Period.

August 28, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  10. Desmond Sequeira

Bill Clinton has more than redeemed himself and restored my faith in him. He was phenomenally magnanimous to day.

August 28, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  11. Redbug-OH for OBAMA

THANK YOU PRESIDENT CLINTON. And for all those who still won't vote for OBAMA, well I just don't think the bush/mcsame have not affected you or you are still hung up on OBAMA being black.

August 28, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  12. Texas Witch Twister

I love Bill but he is wrong to be glamorizing obama. I will never vote for the scoundrel.

August 28, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  13. Kelley

I thought President Clinton was very eloquent. He actually sounded more convincing than Senator Clinton did last night.

I did love how they both got their jabs in there, her with her 35 years in the trenches and he with the 18 million voters.

That being said, I feel they did what the party asked them to do, endorse someone else from the party.

I don't care what any one says about Bill Clinton, I think he was a great president and is still a poised and dignified statesman. I don't care what he did in his personal life....his wife loved him enough to stand by him. Men think with the little head, women are lead by the heart.

Mrs. Clinton would have made a very poised and dignified president, she had presence on the stage last night that Michelle Obama only wishes she could have and Senator Clinton has wisdom beyond most politician's years.

Thank goodness women are living longer now, Hillary's time might not be over.

I am now up in the air over who to vote for. My gut tells me to go with the man with experience, my heart says vote for who Hillary and Bill endorse.

August 28, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |