August 27th, 2008

Gergen: Best Since He Left the White House

Bill Clinton got the crowd cheering during his convention speech.
Bill Clinton got the crowd cheering during his convention speech.

Bill Clinton delivered the best, most effective and most important speech since he left the White House. Not only did he offer up a rousing embrace of the Obama-Biden team, not only did he validate the qualifications and readiness of the Democratic ticket, but he was the first one at this convention to paint a bright, clear picture of the crucial choices voters face this November.

Next week, we will hear a strong - and perhaps equally compelling - rebuttal from the Republicans. Everyone will want to weigh the arguments carefully.

Watch: Bill Clinton says Obama is ready to lead

But for the moment, the Democrats have the public stage, and Bill Clinton has just become a crucial force on behalf of Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

Watch: Bill Clinton: I support Obama

Finally, let me recognize that I am only a single person speaking. The people who count the most are really you, the voters. Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Becky, Midwest

What a shame Bill and HIllary are in this mess. The American public loses with this liberal ticket of "change" zero accomplishments Obama and thirty-six years in Congress "no change" Biden. It's a joke.

Bill, you reminded me of how good it was under your leadership. Hillary, last night you showed us how generous and gracious you are.

Now stop helping the ticket! The Obama's and their supporters blame you for everything that they don't like. They expect you to win the election for them. How is that leadership? Time for Obama to step up to the plate and own that responsibility. He's had this nomination handed to him on a silver platter. He can win or lose on his own now.

August 27, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  2. wm gallagher

well I rather have McCain for president than oboma !
    but I will write in Hillary for president and John as vp
    sent oboma to hell

August 27, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  3. NClaw441

I wonder if Clinton believed his own speech...

August 27, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  4. Aaron K.

As a veteran, I too believe Barack Obama is ready to become one of the best Presidents this country has seen. I hope we're courageous enough to give him and Joe Biden the opportunity to take us in a new, better direction. The future depends on it.

August 27, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  5. Rob

I agree with your commentary, Gergen. Bill held nothing back. This was a very cool speech.

I am concerned that you let the conservative commentators concern troll instead of have to deal with the facts that are occuring (sure they can be negative, but it needs to not just be unambiguous oppo attacks).

August 27, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  6. Olie Tucker

I agree David. I loved th part about his being too young back in 92. Finally someone really spoke ABOUT THIS ISSUES IN A REAL WAY! On another note I am so glad to see you blogging David. Kepp up your good work.

August 27, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  7. GeeMac

Both Hillary and Bill delivered for the Obama-Biden ticket tonight. Initially, I was concerned that they would not deliver or leave some questions to be asked but they demonstrated that they could rise above the negative tone that the Republicans were yearning for and hit a home run. The Republican rebuttal as we expect will be negative, that is how they roll. But I think America has had a wake up call and realizes more of McCain means more or the same.

August 27, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  8. Erika, KS

Bill Clinton had experience as a governor when he was elected. And a lot more than three years, might I add. Face it people, Obama isn't ready and if you truly believe he is, then you are blind and not that bright. You must be naive and you've been duped.

Love Bill. Love Hillary, won't support Obama because he has done NOTHING to prove he is capable of digging this country out of the mess were are in. Nothing! Nothing! Nothing!

And before you Obamabots start calling me a bitter white woman who is racist – that's another reason I won't be voting. You people are mean and nasty and we're not all racist just because we don't agree with your Junior Wonder Boy.

He's in over his head, and he knows it. Michelle knows. We all know it. You just don't want to admit it.

August 27, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  9. Dennis

Obama creeps me out. Denver is a mile high but BO is an inch deep.
    Why the Democrats insisted on nominating this eventual loser instead of the woman who deserved the nomination is to McCain's benefit. A Democrat for almost 40 years I'm voting McCain.

August 27, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. mike in central va

the repdumblicans are a dead horse this time around. thats the ONLY good thing george walker bush has done in the last seven years eight months and seven days. kill the redumblican party!!!!

August 27, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  11. Lisabeth

I can't imagine the Republicans could give equally as compelling a case! HAHA They are not the brightest lightbulbs, sorry.

August 27, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  12. mike in central va

and wm gallagher, go back to school or better yet YOU go to hell you retard!!!!

August 27, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  13. dennis

Bill Clinton did everything he had to do tonight. I believe that all this turmoil may actually give the democrats a more energized push for November. I hope, anyway.

BTW David Gergen is my "EF Hutton", when he talks, I listen. His experience and bipartisan approach is informative, and refreshing. I wish he all commentators had his approach!

August 27, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  14. Robby

I was angered by the thought that Bill would feel pressured to respond to the issue of whether or not "Obama was ready." I still don't feel that they owed it to the Obama party to respond to that. I also thought I would lose respect for him and Hillary for doing so. But you know what? He handled it with style. Rather than lose respect, I gained even more. Obama should count himself lucky for their support. Michelle needs to stop looking like a Tiger trying to protect her cub every time a Clinton speaks. She needs to lighten up a little. Unity–remember?

August 27, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  15. PUMA moving on...

I love the Clintons...maybe my brother would not have died in Iraq if they were still in charge.

Take comand peope!

August 27, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  16. ck

What has happened in the past 2 months that makes Obama now ready to lead???

Seriously, does anyone believe Clinton???

August 27, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  17. No Hillary = No Obama

Why? Because he did what any good soldier has to do – be a team player? Don't kid yourselves – I would really like to know what Bill and Hill think of Obama – a Mr. Wannabe who will NOT be getting my vote in November.

August 27, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  18. Bobette

I concur, Mr. Gergen; that was his best speech since leaving the White House. The hatchet has been buried.

August 27, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  19. Geri

Hillary gave a great speech last night and President Clinton hit it out of the ball park. I hope Obama gives a good one tommow rather that just rhetorc and grandiose. The Clinton years were great years despite his Monica thing. If Hillary was big enough to forgive him then the rest of you should let go. Put the nastiness aside about the Clintons. They did what needed to be done & Obama has more votes now than he did before.

August 27, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  20. Porter

Why is it that I can predict all of your reactions almost word-for-word before I even hear the speeches let alone read your posts?

August 27, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  21. AsBee

No Obama is NOT ready to lead this nation.

Vote for McCain – a true American Hero

Registered Democrat for McCain :)

August 27, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  22. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

If Bill Clinton had a chance to look minimal in his support for Obama, this would have been it. It appears that there is little questioning his support for Obama now. If I were to be cynical, it could be to make sure that if Obama doesn't win it now, Hillary Clinton won't be denied any support in 2012. It just doesn't immediately seem that way to me though.

August 27, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  23. MO Voter

Thanks President Clinton.

Lets have more of the Clinton years not more of the same of the last 8 years.

Obama/Biden 08

August 27, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  24. Debby

I agree his speech was fantastic and NO TELEPROMPTER.

August 27, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  25. David W.

Where are all of the Clinton bashers. You sure changed your tune after their speeches.

August 27, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |