August 27th, 2008

Rollins: Biden's speech a hit at DNC, but what about on TV?

Biden waves from the stage with his family Wednesday night.
Biden waves from the stage with his family Wednesday night.

(CNN) – One of the reasons a strategist never sits in a stadium and get caught up in the crowds - and never sits watching a debate in person - is because the vast majority of American voters watch these political events on television

And while Joe Biden's speech was received well in the convention hall, I am not sure how it will play with most voters at home. It was largely a pedestrian speech, and I don't think was a great first impression for a lot of people.

The Democrats will come out with a unified convention and go into battle. But the idea that the vice presidential candidate is someone who can lend credibility to his nominee to be a commander in chief is wrong. At the end of the day, the country has to make a decision. Who is the leader, who has the experience to be a leader and who can take us to the next decade?

That's what voters get to decide in about ten weeks.

1. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

How about Obama making a cameo appearance at the end?!

We can't have anyone else getting TOO much attention tonight, not when The One hasn't gotten his face on TV in a whole 24 hours.

Tomorrow night will be mind-numbing. I plan to watch the test pattern on TV for a little stimulation.

With any luck, Biden will talk, talk, talk Obama right out of the presidency. By the first week in October, he'll be wearing a muzzle!!

August 27, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  2. John from LA

Snore, Snore-missed opportunity!-too many flubs and short on substance-but that seems to be the theme with this ticket!

August 27, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  3. Sherry, Atlanta

SPEECH WAS VERY GOOD. . .GIVEN WHAT THE PARTY HAS BEEN THROUGH!

IT WILL ONLY GET BETTER, BELIEVE ME!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12

August 27, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  4. W O W WO W

I - W A S--D E S P E R A T E L Y---–C H A S I N G--F O R---

P O L I T I C A L----U P P E R S----D I D N ' T-–F I N D--A N Y

August 27, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  5. Dean

I just read some news reports about campaign volunteers 'hammering away at their laptops' to counter the Democrat message. This seems to jive with my impression that a great number of the respondents on these blogs are simply campaign staffers 'hammering their message'. No wonder a huge percentage of them have replies on *every* blog post!!!

Think about it people! Don't be led by the nose. Think for yourselves!

August 27, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  6. Jim

I'm sure you guy's will disect it but I loved it! I loved all the speeche's tonight, it brought back the big picture. All the petty bickering, but you tend to forget the issues with it, and these speeche's talking about the families and the economy and the veterans, it all brought it back home and brought back the reason why we are democrats and what we are really fighting for.

Also Joe Biden's speech may not have been perfect for the critics on tv, but it shows he is a person, and that's what make's him so great! He's a human being, he may not be perfect and he may fumble but he speaks from the heart, and speaks the truth, and the truth may not always be perfect.

August 28, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  7. James in melbourne

Sorry - It was a great talk. I was impressed, and that was watching it at home.
    It strikes me, McCain is feeling the fear - hence the non-news discussion tonight about how "he's decided his running mate". A sure sign of worry that they aren't even risking just waiting until the end of the convention to try and deflate the bump but want to try and siphon off attention during it.
    And you fall for it hook line and sinker. Come on - news would be if he actually announced the name. I don't need a 30 minute distraction that covers what we already knew. I'm waiting to see how you cover things next week.

August 28, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  8. Jim

Wow look at the republicans hammer away at the keyboard, probably been on the site all night ignoring the convention and ready to attack and find any blurb online or one liner to use as if they watched any of it.

August 28, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  9. Were NOT "your friends"!!!

I watched it and loved it!!!

Obama/Biden '08!!!

August 28, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  10. Kevin,FL

The GOP will bash Obama and Biden Next week 10x worst than they did to McCain.

August 28, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  11. Grace

He did well very well on my TV.

August 28, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  12. Jake

Funny. I was actually thinking the opposite the entire time.

August 28, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  13. CCDemocrat

Biden came off just fine..................it's easy to make the case against the GOP and the stupidity of the last 8 years.

August 28, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  14. Kristen

I LOVED his speech. You're nitpicking.

August 28, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  15. Ryan

yay for more republican spin on cnn!

August 28, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  16. fired

JB did great.

John McCain was born on third stealing second...how rich all of the one liners from this incredible convention

August 28, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  17. Al McMullin

Right on Dean! If the American people managed to find the convention coverage on C-SPAN instead of the 24/7 newsmakers (instead of what they should be REPORTERS) they should count themselves as very lucky. It seems CNN, MSNBC and FOX all feel they need to tell the American people what they saw and how they should think.
    I liked Joe Biden's speech. I liked his son's intro. End of story.

August 28, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  18. Independent from FL

I don't think Biden is going to do much help to get Obama elected. Its all on Obama to close the deal.

August 28, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  19. BK

"From Republican Strategist Ed Rollins...." So surprised...

August 28, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  20. Wanda an Obama Supporter from MO

Who cares what Ed Rollins think? I am sick of Ed's commentary, it's always negative, negative, negative. Instead of Ed being paid by CNN, they need to send him to Fox news. I never hear anything positive out of Ed. Cnn needs to stop putting him on tv for a comment anyway. Now next week, let's see how CNN and Fox spin the Repugs convention. The only commentors that talks like they have some sense are Roland Martin, Berstein, and Campbell Brown. Gloria Berger was good tonight. I can not believe some of the comments that Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper has been making. I used to like them, but I"ve never seen them like this, so negative.

August 28, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  21. CAW in MD

Perhaps it is true that the VP cannot confer gravitas in a certain area, but give Joe Biden credit - he pointed out that on the big issues in America these days, Obama's judgement is much better than the "experienced" John McCain. Timetable for Iraq? GOP has come around to Obama's point of view (except McCain). Iran? Obama's plan (except McCain). Afghanistan? Obama's plan (parroted by McCain).

I think it is hilarious that Clinton tried the experience line, and lost, yet McCain is trying the same line. Maybe he's just a slow learner...

August 28, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  22. Esmeralda

Dean, I am not sure I can say it any better.

Ed – your job title says it all. You are a Republican. As a democrat – frankly your opinion, your words, your message, is to me that of a snake.

August 28, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  23. nicole

The republicans need more energy and more understanding of the real needs of the American people...They just don't get it, and I believe that Barack Obama does get it and will win the ticket for president in November....

I would much rather see Obama's face in the screen on TV than wrinkle McCain any day, and I think most Americans would second that...

Some posters just need to get over their Obama envy.....
    Hatemongers are tiresome and boring me.....

August 28, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  24. Dready1Rasta

Mr Rollins-The only thing "pedestrian" about Sen. Biden's speech was your evaluation of it and CNN's convention coverage as a whole.

August 28, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  25. Shelley in California

I frankly found the Clintons, Michelle Obama and Joe Bieden all were very well received by this viewer and the group I watched with. They
    were inspiring...Michelle put the 'face' and the 'heart' in her kick-off speech. Hilary began building the important bridge between the differing constituents. Bill Clinton gave substance and experiential credibility. And inspired!
    Re: Bieden
    I found his comments were from the "man on the street" perspective and valuable to promote the Democrats' awareness of needs of the average American citizen. He nailed that.
    Great team approach.
    CNN has been my 1st choice for viewing, largely due to the strength of the reporters on sight. Refreshingly different to have the energy of the event conveyed through 'front line' reporting. Much more interesting than just sitting in some studio with other political pundits analyzing from afar. Thanks using this approach. It was a good blend between the studio and the convention.
    Just an off-hand P.S. Do the Republicans really want to make AGE an issue?! Bring it on! :)
    Interestingly, registered democrat, but still undecided about final vote.
    VP for McCain could make it interesting.

August 28, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |