August 27th, 2008

Rollins: Biden's speech a hit at DNC, but what about on TV?

Biden waves from the stage with his family Wednesday night.
Biden waves from the stage with his family Wednesday night.

(CNN) – One of the reasons a strategist never sits in a stadium and get caught up in the crowds - and never sits watching a debate in person - is because the vast majority of American voters watch these political events on television

And while Joe Biden's speech was received well in the convention hall, I am not sure how it will play with most voters at home. It was largely a pedestrian speech, and I don't think was a great first impression for a lot of people.

The Democrats will come out with a unified convention and go into battle. But the idea that the vice presidential candidate is someone who can lend credibility to his nominee to be a commander in chief is wrong. At the end of the day, the country has to make a decision. Who is the leader, who has the experience to be a leader and who can take us to the next decade?

That's what voters get to decide in about ten weeks.

1. Carol Michigan

Not everyone can be a rock star standing infront of 70,000 people but I think he did just fine. At least he's no phoney.

Would have been nice if CNN could have bothered to show all the speeches instead of what they decided we wanted to watch.

August 28, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  2. Odessa Hahto

Listening to Joe Biden speak I sense that he like Obama is an honest man. I respect men like Obama and Joe Biden who stand up for what they feel is right and what they belive in; they stand up to evil and wickness in high places. Listening to John Macann speak make me think that he is a confussed old man that cannot remember his addresses.

August 28, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  3. Paul from Nova Scotia Canada

We live in Canada and believe me when i say Joe did a great job. he was easy to listen to and if i lived in the States i could relate to him in where he came from and his journey. Americans should not hesitate to take advantage of the quality of people such as Biden and Barack to lead their country and set an example for the rest of the world.

August 28, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  4. e forest

everyone i know thought biden was brilliant, as was both clintons to the dissapointment of repub negatives. mc cain will find the dems convention hard to beat ,the families of biden and obama are real people, mc cain will never emulate them. expect the repub convention to be more of the same ,lies, spin and very nasty ,what else would they have.

August 28, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  5. Ann, Jacksonville, FL

I think Biden did a good job – but I was VERY impressed with Kerry - I wish he had defended himself as strongly in 2004 as he attacked McCain and Bush tonight... He would have won if he had. Take that as a lesson – Obama's strategy of responding in less than 24 hours to EVERY attack by the Republicans is exactly what the Democrats need to do in EVERY race – from the President on down – this year.

August 28, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  6. Thomas

Joe Biden was absolutely .... so so.
    Well OK so we hoped he'd be great. Hey, he did his best.
    What the hell. After 36 years in the senate what can you expect from this pampered white man?
    But he's a man of the people right, because he rides the train. (Heavy sigh..give me a break!) Yeah, just one of the boys.

If this is the path to change, what do you think will be at the end of this trail for you and for me? - A big stinking pile of more of the same.
    Come on! Think about it. we might try to continue to trust and vote for Obama if he's the man with the best ideas, but let me share a real idea guaranteed to make change in America. Do not vote for any person up for re-election!
    No Incumbents, No exceptions! If we can do this, we will be guaranteed the change (and relief) we all hope for. Think about it.

August 28, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  7. TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK 08

Biden was great, and he knows what is like to have a love one fighting in a war made out lies.

for all of those politicians that supported the war in Iraq, shame of you. You would not dare sent one of you love ones (son, daughter, grandson, etc..) to fight a war build on lies.

Biden is the man and his family are true patriots.

August 28, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  8. Greg

I missed the DNC for the third night in a row. I was watching paint dry..much more exciting.

August 28, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  9. gigs

i am shocked the mccain was not gracious in issuing a statement congratulating sen. obama and this country on this historic achievement.
    he would rather win an election than give credit to a great american -barak obama.
    this was an historic night and sen mccain should have acknowledged it.
    this omission should be discussed by the "pundits" – i think it is a serious gaff by the mccain campaign.
    it is disrespectful

August 28, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  10. Isaac

I wonder if these threads will be so hard on McSame? Somehow I doubt it.

August 28, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  11. Not impressed

In all honesty I think Biden's speech was weak. No wonder why he only got 2% of the primary vote.

August 28, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  12. texas democrat

my mother always said a first impression is a lasting impression and i think his speech was wonderful. the thing is obama had the pick of the litter and no matter who he chose it was going to work . i am a happy american!

August 28, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  13. Todd

as someone getting to know joe biden, i have to say that speech appeared to be very moving, but i wasnt moved myself. i really wanted to jump on the train after the ringing endorsements by the clintons and apparent unity of the party. but that speech may have been touching and spoke to a different level than the rest of the campaign, i dont see the cohesiveness with obama's message. the pomp of the clintons speeches and the anticipation of obama tomorrow...this really fell flat for me. i cant help but feel like he made a horrible mistake. all i took from it is that biden has an incredible story, is a good man, and has plenty of experience. i fear obama felt that was enough, but in a race where people personally identify with their vote, it wont be. if we were just going to toe the party line, we would likely not need convincing in the first place. Opportunities Barack Arrogantly Missed Again.

August 28, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  14. Ronald

If your an every day Joe (no phun intended) then this was the speach you where waiting for all year. If your a pundit which almost by definition means your an intellectual elitest you didn't like it. Not enough high rehtoric. Personally I just want to hear "war bad, use as last result", "constituion good, use war to protect if needed". I got that message tonight.

August 28, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  15. green, pa

I thought Biden's speech was amazing! I am completely convinced that you "journalists" have no idea what you are talking about. His son was incredible as well and very moving.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08.... this country can't survive 4 more years

August 28, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  16. Nevada dude

you're right. the vice president doesnt count. neither does the President's cabinet. he runs the whole thing himself with no help. you're a freaking moron ed.

August 28, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  17. Ronald

Yes they do have paid staffers whos jobs are to blog and post negative messages. Sad but this is becoming more and more effective. Both sides do it, the shame is how many of these fake posts make it through moderation.

August 28, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  18. caywen

I take exception to the negativity here. Biden's speech worked really, really well. You just don't know it yet, but he doesn't speak to the same crowd that Obama speaks to. Tonight was Obama and Hillary's crowd – the well-connected and activist types.

Biden spoke to joe 6-pack who works an honest day. Trust me, tonight he spoke to millions of people who finally saw in this whole crazy circus someone they could identify with.

August 28, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  19. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

I thought the speech was great and hit McCain hard. This is just a warm up!

I hope McCain chooses Romney-so Romney can show America how to use a blow dryer and a brush.

Biden will make him look like a fool.

August 28, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  20. Me in Texas

He's no good he's not a speaker. He's now leaning how to speak the speech he wrote or someone else wrote. It's funny that Democrats picked the inexperience people and train them. Maybe they should hire Hillary to train them how to be a president and vice president.

August 28, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  21. pcb

I thought the speech was great; very in depth in defining who Obama was as well as McCain. He clearly stated where we are as a nation from having "BUSHED" and McCain as leaders and a perspective leader. Compared to McCain's speeches, Biden spoke like Moses.

Congratulations to Obama-Biden! Godspeed!! Be blessed!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  22. Tim from Eugene OR.

Why have you let a REPUBLICAN WRITE THIS STORY? Crawl back under your rocks republican bloggers. Your party has brought our nation down in every way!

August 28, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  23. kate

I really liked it. This is a guy who is grounded, intelligent, and knowledgeable about the very challenges we face as a nation - exactly what I want in a VP.

He spoke honestly and directly - things it's nice for politicians to actually do from time to time. He demonstrated a clear understanding of foreign and domestic issues and framed the election in light of those key challenges.

August 28, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  24. Texas Witch Twister

Biden is a drag and a three time loser. Goodbye OBAMA.

August 28, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  25. Dick Cheney

You say that a VP choice based on FP experience is a bad idea. Did you forget about me already?

August 28, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |