August 27th, 2008

Sources: McCain to reveal VP Friday in Ohio

Who is Sen. John McCain's VP?.
Who is Sen. John McCain's VP?.

DENVER (CNN) – John McCain has decided on his running mate and will officially reveal his pick on Friday in Ohio, multiple sources tell CNN.

A knowledgeable Republican source says there the matter was settled at a major meeting of McCain's advisers Wednesday.

The Arizona senator’s choice has not yet been told of the decision, but the plan is to call tomorrow. A handful of names of dominated VP speculation in recent days, including former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, independent Senator Joe Lieberman, and Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.

The presumptive Republican nominee will appear with his prospective running mate at a massive rally on August 29, the day after Barack Obama formally accepts the Democratic presidential nomination.

The McCain campaign is hoping to have 15,000 people at the Ohio rally — roughly five times the size of his largest crowd to date.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain
  1. Steve - southern Illinois

Can't you people moderate this any faster? Who's running this thing? John McSame?

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  2. Obama/Biden 08

If he picks Lieberman, the right wing revolts and he loses. If he picks Romney, the Democrats laugh their heads off about houses, and he loses. If he picks Pawlenty, Biden destroys Pawlenty in the debates, and he loses.

In any case, McCain loses.

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  3. craig scott

Pawlenty; you have got to be kidding me.! Let's have some accountability in government. Bridges are falling down and people are dying in Minnesota and no accountability. What a Milk Toast!

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  4. Was for Hillary

I know I said I was going to vote McCain. I was angry and hurt. I still think Hillary is the best choice but after the speeches I heard tonight, I have to be loyal and true to my heart. It's not worth being selfish and bitter. I will do what has been asked and vote Obama '08.

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  5. dr. joe

WELL, I REALLY DON'T CARE WHO HE PICKS, HE COULD CHOOSE WOLF, AND I STILL WILL SAY NO!!! (NO OFFENSE WOLF)

August 27, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  6. Whatever....

No matter how you slice and dice it..... McCain can't pick up any measurable base with any of his inept choices. It's really to bad that McCain perfers craps to blackjack. And that should tell you something.

August 27, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. GO MCCAIN

I love how all Obama supporters mock the size of McCain's crowd. I didn't know this was a popularity contest. If so, let's run Michael Jackson–he draws larger crowds than Obama so he must be more qualified.

You know, maybe McCain's crowds are smaller at daytime events because his supporters actually have JOBS and don't depend on the government to support them.

August 27, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. American President

John McCain't and Mitt WrongMe to follow

August 27, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  9. Steve Perzan

I KNOW WHO HIS PICK IS: IT IS DICK CHANEY!

August 27, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  10. Tom

Lieberman would be a disaster, as he was for Gore (though partly for different reasons). Romney would be a plastic bore that Biden would dominate with his authenticity. And Pawlenty is an unknown. No way McCain can match the quality of the Biden pick, just as he has no match for Obama's intelligence, judgment, leadership ability, or sound policy ideas and plans. Go Obama/Biden!

August 27, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  11. Corve

Let the games begin...Guys this is an election for the Republicans..they fight more...and trust me ...with obama flip flopping and twisting his words..he will lose

Mccain will make his important decision and then the games will begin..

Biden will talk too much
    Obama will continue to say ahhhh
    Mccain will dictate how the election is conducted meaning the issues....

he will win guys

August 27, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  12. minnie

Yes who cares.... there all the same

August 27, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  13. mb in hawaii

Rob–thank you–
    I was wondering if Christian Evangelicals were paying attention and while I'm not one (practicing Catholic) I've been shocked by the fact that folks who really treasure Christianity and family values and just plain decency haven't been more horrified by mccain's shady background and Obama's more wholesome lifestyle.

Interesting–I appreciate your point of view!

August 27, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  14. minnie

Let's see maybe the CEO of EXON......

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  15. Gary Chandler in Canada

If he does NOT choose a pro lifer, Limbaugh slaughters the already bent over and divided party. If he follows Limbaugh's marching orders, how does that sit well with Independents, the image will be that Lamebaw is calling the shots!
    He can NOT get a bump with his pick, thanks to Lamebow.
    He could negate the bad press by choosing a woman, pro lifer, that nobody was expecting. Then there would be slight 'buzz'.
    - McCain – Limbaugh 2004

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  16. Timothy Frint

I think an excellent choice for John McCain's running mate would be Condoleeza Rice.

August 27, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  17. K-man

Hillary is the best, Bill is a great leader, Obama is a Hillary fan and he will guide us and Mcain A.KA Mcan't is the same OLD politics out with the very old and in with the mighty Democrats!.

August 27, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  18. Price Smith

Hillary should be our candidate!!! Did anyone else see that speech??? Bill and Hillary said what they had to say yesterday and today. Bill said what they really believe on Tuesday – we Democrats may not see eye to eye with McCain on EVERY issue, but he is our ideal republican and he can deliver. As a Hillary supporter, I am voting McCain. He's a Maverick who has crossed the aisles to vote with Ted Kennedy before. No wonder Rush Limbaugh hates him.

McCain '08
    Hillary '12

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  19. whybuffetmatters

It is sad McCain ditched his first wife when she needed him the most. Contrast that with Biden!! Shame of conservative, family value McCain. I voted straight Republican last election. Not this time. I will be selective. Republican locally, but Obama at the national. I am an independent/libertarian.

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  20. Benton Indianapolis, In

McCain must really want to win in November if he cant lay low this week. I hope Obama does the samething to McShame next week.

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  21. AJ

Cindy? So we can have a monarchy? We already lost our democracy under the Bush Administration.

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  22. Mindscape

Who is McCain's VP? Romney?
    All I now is Republicans will dominate this fall!!!
    Just look at the polls...McCain is only down 2 points after the DNC is almost over!!
    This is a joke.
    People realize they can't trust Obama and the pathetic Democratic party.

McCain'08

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  23. Paul

Well I guess McCain has got to try to get in the news somehow. The dems . . . have clearly put McCain on the defensive. Bill Clinton firmly supported Obama highlighting his competency to be the next President and Biden offered a scathing criticism of the failed Bush-McCain policy.

August 27, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  24. James In Oregon

It doesn't matter who McCain picks , he and the Republicans are toast.

August 27, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  25. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

Who cares? Joe Biden will clean his clock, even Mitt For The Rich Romney!

August 27, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |