August 27th, 2008

Toobin: Biden gave the 'weakest' of major speeches

Sen. Joe Biden gets a surprise appearance from Sen. Barack Obama Wednesday night.

I thought Joe Biden gave the weakest of the major speeches of this convention.

Watch: 'This is our time,' says Biden

He stumbled through many of the best lines, he didn't have a clear theme, and he didn't deliver any memorable phrases or ideas.

It was a beautiful picture at the end - with the young Barack Obama and the older Biden together with their families. Beau Biden, the senator's son, gave a better introduction than his father gave a speech.

1. Isaac

Who cares?

August 27, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  2. Mary

Surely you are kidding me!
    Mary Strukel

August 27, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  3. Enough!!!

His speech is right on and right on time. Maybe he should have your jobs at CNN since he is willing to acknowledge the fact that the Bush Admin is doing everything that Obama has already suggested, such as the timetable, diplomacy w/Iran, xfer of troops to Afghaninstan. You guys are too busy repeating McCain's lies about his experience and judgement to lead. Maybe youall are about as racist as McCain is.. Now can youall please begin to highlight that. THE BUSH ADMIN IS DOING EVERYTHING OBAMA SUGGESTED. OBAMA IS ALREADY LEADING. Toobin are you trying for a position w/Fox News?

August 27, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  4. Kavin

WHAT - no memorable lines?

"We need a wise leader, not a good soldier!"

August 27, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  5. Ray from CA

Toobin, I'm sorry but your stupid. That speech left me in tears hes not some poltical person hes a regular person, he's not some machine like McCain!

August 27, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  6. Proud American

I'll have to disagree with you Toobin. I thought he did a good job. He hit all of the points. Remember he's only warming up.

August 27, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  7. mb in hawaii

oh shut up toobin, you don't know anything.
    I think he was great-
    Let's hear your comments when the yawners at the RNC start spouting off...

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  8. billyjones

You sir, are a moron.

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  9. John from LA

Thank you Toobin-VERY WEAK SPEECH-he had the chance to help BO-but-to many flubs!!!

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  10. Amy, Kazoo

You're entitled to your wrong opinion, Mr. Toobin.

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  11. Copperfield

I'm a strong supporter of the Obama/Biden ticket but I'd have to agree.

Then again, Biden is there to give Obama credibility and to attack McCain; he'll do both in good time.

August 27, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  12. Lee

complain,complain,complain

August 27, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  13. Spencer in Cali

I thought it was great!! So much for this guys feelings, cause as a Hillary supporter I could not be happier.

Obama 08!!

August 27, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  14. Susan

Interesting

August 27, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  15. Andrea, California

Isaac August 27th, 2008 11:23 pm ET

Who cares?

I DO, and so should you, these people will guide this country, i would hope they could give a powerful moving inspiring speech!!

SNORE!

He's no HIllary

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  16. MP

With all due respect...are you drinking? Did you watch the same speech the rest of us did?

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  17. Angelo

That was obvious. In 3 days, they democrats have fail to layout their plan to fix the stumbling economy. This was just a parade of speeches. Like the McCain camp has always said, Obama & Company are just celebrities.

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  18. Isaac

How shocking and unlike a former reporter for the New Republic to say something like this.

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  19. Sondra Brunone

could not disagree more! I knew very little about Joe Biden. I am now very impressed. This is the first time we have EVER had two genuine individuals in this position - and both are very eloquent in their own way. Genuine thought, emotion and intelligence attracted me to Barack Obama to begin with... now I feel that connection with Joe Biden, as well. Cool!

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  20. Walt

I hate to agree, but it was not impressive.

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  21. Chi4Obama

CNN STOP IT!!!
    Why do you continue to spin every single positive about a democrat, into a "negative". I

Joe Biden's speech was right on the money. He gave the "specifics of what the Obama administration will do once they take office. He also hit McCain hard on several issues.

I truly believe that your network is the unofficial surrogate of FOX NOISE (NEWS).

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  22. D&D

The speech was not the best of the night, but his charisma and everything he represents did it all!

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  23. Anna

I agree that Biden is not as talented an orator as the Obama's or the Clintons. But he was not brought on to the ticket for that purpose.

He is the straight shooter intended to appeal to the 'common man' who may be befuzzled by the rhetoric.

I dont think you have to be a great Speaker to be a Great Leader.
    Something I hope and pray Obama keeps in mind as he endeavors on this journey.

August 27, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  24. Axl

Biden is not there to be slick. He's there to be real and real he was. Biden was talking to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Missouri and Iowa.

August 27, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |