August 27th, 2008

Toobin: Biden gave the 'weakest' of major speeches

Sen. Joe Biden gets a surprise appearance from Sen. Barack Obama Wednesday night.

I thought Joe Biden gave the weakest of the major speeches of this convention.

Watch: 'This is our time,' says Biden

He stumbled through many of the best lines, he didn't have a clear theme, and he didn't deliver any memorable phrases or ideas.

It was a beautiful picture at the end - with the young Barack Obama and the older Biden together with their families. Beau Biden, the senator's son, gave a better introduction than his father gave a speech.

1. Miranda

I swear, one minute the talking point is "too much fluff, not enough substance"....and then Joe Biden gives a substantive speech and its called "weak".

August 27, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  2. Sue in MI

Compared to Hill and Bill, Biden can't read a teleprompter, let alone make a speech memorable! Did he see this before he went on stage?

August 27, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  3. Ted

I liked it.

August 27, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  4. Dan

I would agree, but i did learn a lot about where he came from and what type of person he is, and i think that makes up for the stumbling speech. i think his strength is in debates, not speeches.

August 27, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  5. dr. joe

SAVE THAT STATEMENT FOR MCCAIN'S SPEECH!!!!

IT IS SURE TO BE A NAP TIME STORY FOR ME....LOL

August 27, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  6. Denise

I liked it, but I have to agree with Toobin. It lacked something, and he sputtered a bit.

August 27, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  7. Chi4Obama

CNN,
    If your newstation is so "fair and balanced"; why do you continue to feature an "All republican" panel that overanalyzes everything about the Democratic convention.

Give me a break.

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  8. Josh Shepherd

After watching the speech, some of the points could have been given with more strength and emotion. But, not everyone is going to be the orator President Clinton or even Barrack Obama is. I do believe the points are clear though. The major point of this election is change. And do we as a country want four more years of the same big government squashing middle america. More red meat could have been thrown out this evening but overall I believe it was a success.

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  9. Tom Allen

Everyone knows how powerful a speaker he can be and those speeches will come. Tonight was more about who is Joe Biden. I personally am glad he was not too polished, he conveyed to me that he is pretty genuine.

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  10. ton2c in OC

Toobin, what convention were you watching? John McCain's convention is next week. Get your schedule right!

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  11. Cheri

Toobin what are you smoking?Biden's speech was awesome.He speaks in terms that people can identify with.I think this ticket is going to be hard to stop in nov.

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  12. Sharon

I really felt the unity and the hope of the American dream come true. Listening to everyone speak made me feel that every will be okay. We can overcome anything. Then at the end Obama walked on stage and it's as if the balloon burst. I can't help it but I don't feel confident with him.

August 27, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  13. Ryan

I thought that it was a great speech. While he may not have had any clear theme or memorable phrases, he did what he was supposed to do. Listening to his speech you could have just checked the objectives off: introduce himself and his background (check), tie himself to Obama and the campaign (check), tie McCain to Bush (check), show that together he and Obama have what it takes to not only win the election but to lead the country (double check).

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  14. bob sherman

Biden was very week and not really Truthful.....but of Course~ no one "cared" at the convention...Obama is proud to have him.

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  15. James In Oregon

CNN is as out of touch with America as John McCain. It won't work this time , we are taking our Country back.

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  16. Roxy, New York

I have to disagree. Joe Biden's speech was orgasmic. He hit out of the ballpark.

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  17. KAMI IN CHANDLER

Biden tells it like it is! He may not be elegant in his words but he is a real person with real storeis who can relate to real people!!!!

Tomorrow you will see the top of the ticket show us why he should be the next president!!!

Obama/Biden 08

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  18. Jean

Why do you have to pick apart every speech! Sitting at home, I enjoyed Joe Biden's speech. Both of the Bidens did very well-they talk to the average person!

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  19. Wow

weak? Are you nuts!!! He's speech was a emotional, strong and we regular Americans can identify with him.. Awesome I can't wait for tomorrow!!

August 27, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  20. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

I disagree.

Biden called out McCain for being wrong while Obama was right.

That was enough for me.

August 27, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  21. Rob

Thanks for telling me what to think.

I was mistakenly interpreting it as a pretty nice speech.

August 27, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  22. Laura

I loved Joe Biden's speech and thought he was on the money in pointing out the errors of McCain's – and the Bush administration's – judgement and the fact that Obama IS already leading. I well recall the hits Obama took in suggesting that we should be using diplomacy with Iran – and guess what Condi and her crowd are now doing?!
    Sorry Toobin, I agree with you often but I thought this speech by Biden was impressive and hit the mark.

August 27, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  23. terri ohio

Biden wold have a different speech and he realizes that this is different politics and a different time it was eloquent and appropriate.. The media was jus wishing for the attack dog they all wanted to see and talk about

August 27, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  24. Tim

Everyone else has had weeks to prepare their speeches. Biden has only known for a few days that he was picked as VP.

Geez, CNN stop attacking people so much!!! You're starting to sound like the Republicans!!

August 27, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  25. joAnne Wiley

You must be kidding'? Did you see the same speech that I did?. Biden was great.

August 27, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |