August 27th, 2008

Toobin: Biden gave the 'weakest' of major speeches

Sen. Joe Biden gets a surprise appearance from Sen. Barack Obama Wednesday night.

I thought Joe Biden gave the weakest of the major speeches of this convention.

Watch: 'This is our time,' says Biden

He stumbled through many of the best lines, he didn't have a clear theme, and he didn't deliver any memorable phrases or ideas.

It was a beautiful picture at the end - with the young Barack Obama and the older Biden together with their families. Beau Biden, the senator's son, gave a better introduction than his father gave a speech.

1. Roy

If you don't want more of the same, Say no to McCain! LOL

August 27, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  2. Jan from Iowa

I thought tonight was fantastic !!
    Great speeches by John Kerry, Bill Clinton,
    Beau Biden and then Joe Biden..........culminating in Obama's
    appearance....
    Couldn't have been any greater !!

Just what we all needed to see/hear.
    Can't wait until tomorrow night !!

Jan

August 27, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  3. Gail

See – this is why you should watch cspan. No annoying journalists to tell you how to think.

Obama 'till 2016!

August 27, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  4. Democrats are losers

Where's the plan?
    Seriously, do Barack supporters know anything about capitalism? Where is the real plan?

I am a working woman, lower management, college education. Black American. Where is the plan? Seriously, where is the plan?

Who is going to pay for all the hopeful incentives? Who?

August 27, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  5. Marsha

You need to get the crap your full out of your ears.

August 27, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  6. Debby

I agree with Toobin he takes to long to make a point and then it becomes gaffe's and snooze time.

August 27, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  7. Corve

lets face the facts after a great speech from Hillary and the crowd chanting and celebrating Bill Clinton, Biden cannot lower the standard. His speech was dull and was not spicy. it lacked punch and energy.

No wonder analysts say his speech was horrible....and no he is not auditioning for Fox news.....he is just right,

obama cant be right all the time ....objective pple lol

August 27, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  8. Tony B.

Toobin,

Sounds like you have had your ears plugged like Bush has the last 8 years. Biden gave an extremely inspirational speech that you are probably not used to since Bush has not ever been inspirational. Last time I checked there aren't any of McCain's kids or Bush's kids going to Iraq. Why don't you try being respectful to a man that is a true patriot and actually has his son going to your war. Hope you enjoy the next 8 years, because Obama is gonna straighten Bush's faults out.

August 27, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  9. Sue

The MSM can't let Dems even enjoy the moment. It was a terrific night all the way around. I wonder if they are going to nit pick the Rethuglicans next wekk. More than likely, they will let them slide!

August 27, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  10. Quinn

Awww, poor CNN doesn't like it when people go after their Rethuglican pundits.

Toobin's smoking crack if he thinks Biden didn't hit this out of the park.

Say hi to Amy "Second Stringer" Holmes for me!

August 27, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  11. Sabreen60

I thought is speech was very good. He was very credible – especially when repeated again and again that McCain is wrong!

August 27, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  12. gary

I HATE TO AGREE TOO. HE TRY'D TO MATCH UP WITH THE MASTER WJC SPEECH. YOU CANT BEAT THE CLINTONS WHEN THEY SPEAK FOR AMERICA.THEY ARE RED ,WHITE AND BLUE DEMS.

August 27, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  13. Wanda an Obama Supporter from MO

Who cares what Toobin says? He doesn't speak for the American public. We liked it Toobin. Biden is down to earth and fights for the American people. I'm getting a little sick of the CNN commentators. Most were pretty civil tonight but the other nights that were just a mess. Everything that was positive, they would somehow turn it around and spin it negative like Fox news does. I'm beginning to wonder what has happened to CNN. I guess Fox news is rubbing off on them.

August 27, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  14. johnkru

I think we are in a crucial corner of american history, time is not for speeches and all, time is to face the reality. no matter McCain or Obama, I do believe we need someone able to help us.
    Moreover I do think Obama is the right and rational ticket for that very election.
    I respect McCain but I think, he is more concerned by HIS War to "invisible" terrorists than americans lives.

August 27, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  15. Nick FL

While I don't agree, I DO agree Biden is best when he doesn't have prepared remarks. He's much more fiery when he's on the top of his head. LIke in the debates.

BRING IT REPUBS.

August 27, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  16. Miriam Hyde

Joe Biden, while he may not have been as powerfully spoken as usual, spoke from his heart and told the TRUTH!!! Joe is honest and real, like Barak – which is not only a breath of fresh air, but a rare commodity in this century's politics.

Joe is the bulldog, the fighter, who will bloody McCain's nose.

I will love it if Gustav upstages the Republicans next week!

August 27, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  17. EqualBranchesofGovernment

You're not serious are you?

August 27, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  18. Kevin

Joe is too old to be vice P. He has no idea what he does, what he think. It seems that this coming election is going to lose for democratic.

August 27, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  19. Wayne

Bill Clinton and Joe Biden told america the facts about the commander and Chief issue, I hope that every american could listen to it.
    Obama was right all along und John McSame was wrong all the time.

How can america trust that old man for another 4 years.

Obama is americas best choice for president.

New Ideas and new pilitics must prevail und will.

Obana ?Biden to bring again properity to americans and establish
    again leadership throughout the world.

Wake up america and see the light.

August 27, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. mike325

According to most of the recent polls its a really close race ,you might not be "taking anything back"

August 27, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  21. KOLE0019

I am Obama supporter..but I have to agree with him...the first half of the speech was practically the same speech that he gave on Saturday... and other half was new fresh and more interesting than the first half of the speech... did Obama people tell him that its national security night...biden should have focus his speech of that and tie it in with other points such as the economic...President Clinton was at point with the theme that our future vice president...

August 27, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  22. SUSAN/ FLORIDA

obama/biden for 08-12-16 all the way

August 27, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  23. St Joes Alum...

Sr. Catherine did a fine job closing the night with a prayer!!! GO ST JOES!!!!

August 27, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  24. edouard

He did a great job, you don't need to have a bachelor's degree just to get the message of his speech...hello open your eyes and your ears..you may be just on the left side..

August 27, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  25. GK

I completely agree. Biden seemed restrained and the speech lacked direction and focus. In contrast, his son's introduction was fantastic.

August 27, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |