August 28th, 2008

Crowley: Team Obama wanted a show and it has one

Thousands of Democrats await Obama's acceptance speech.
Thousands of Democrats await Obama's acceptance speech.

DENVER (CNN) – The crowd at Invesco Field is now almost at capacity. Beachballs are being bounced overhead as the crowd does the wave.

Team Obama wanted a show and it has one.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays outside of the stadium after tonight.

Watch: 'American needs Obama,' says Richardson

A familiar name just spoke - Susan Eisenhower, grand daughter of the very Republican late president Dwight (“I like Ike”) Eisenhower.

My colleague Jessica Yellin also just witnessed quite a moment. Civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis and Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., son of civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, hugging each other and weeping on this historic night - the anniversary of King’s “I Have a Dream” speech and the night a biracial man accepts the nomination of the Democratic Party.

On top of everything else, a number of military types are currently on stage testifying to Obama's ability to be the next commander in chief.

1. Frank in NYC

No Hillary = No Obama August 28th, 2008 10:12 pm ET

OH MY GOD – what an Obama-centric video!!! Lost count of how many times he has already said "I" and his wife giving testimonals. What an extravaganza of self-indulgence. Could you see MLK or John Kennedy having a show about THEMSELVES? This is offensive.

____________________________________________

He is obviously just trying to make you get to know him because John McCain and Cnn tells them that he is risky and that we don't know enough about him....there you go....LISTEN!!!!

August 28, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. Wanda

All you republican's who are getting paid to sit here and write drivel. Leave already!

August 28, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  3. Jeff

Obama the rock star. This is ridiculous........it's more like a football game than an acceptance for the chance at the most powerful leadership position in the world.

I agree with the humility comment above. Humility works for me.

Go away Obama....please.....go away.

Jeff

August 28, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  4. Sam Rose

Where's Hillary?

August 28, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. Chuck

Yes, Barry, America IS better than this. So is the DNC. Pity, the DNC selected the party's candidate instead of letting the voters choose. As you stand there, in a temple built just for you, spouting jingoisms and sound bites, I cring to think what you might actually do to this country if you were selected to lead us.

The presidency of the United States is not a popularity contest. It's about leading the greatest nation on earth. Stop pontificating and tell me just what the heck it is you plan to "Change" and who's going to pay for it?

August 28, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  6. Erika, KS

It's not a show! It's a spectacle! He doesn't represent change. He won't change a thing if he gets to DC. Empty Suit, no substance. He's a salesman and that is all he is. You Obamabots have been sold a bill of goods. He can't deliver.

August 28, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  7. Michelle

I would love to see Gen. Dwight Eisenhower's granddaughter, who spoke tonight, do some commercials connecting her grandfather's dynamic commander in chief leadership to Obama's own leadership abilities. What coup THAT would be against the McCain campaign.

August 28, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  8. silas

we will win these election

August 28, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. marie

Wow! What an amazing speech! There is no doubt in my mind that Obama is the right choice for our country right now. We have NEVER had a presidential candidate that can motivate for change like he does. His plans are hands down the best!

Obama-Biden '08

August 28, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  10. wow

I'm listening, Obama. You bash McCain. WHA IS YOUR PLAN? Sorry - haven't heard it specifically. PLEASE EXPLAIN!

August 28, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  11. Scott L

Obama wearing his flag pin....pathetic hypocrite:

"I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest," he said in the interview. "Instead, I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testament to my patriotism."

August 28, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  12. No McCain

Looks like these are all the posts of people not watching the speech – like everybody else in the country.

August 28, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  13. Bob G.

10 minutes into the speech and still no substance. Don't want to hear about Bush or Mc Cain. So much for the family history and his white relatives. Need to know what and how EXACTLY he is going to create change when he hasn't shown any yet. Great Rhetoric though!!

August 28, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  14. Sara

You Limbaugh worshipers need to get a life.

This is about US. No More Hate. No More Warmongering.

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. Earl

Bit angry tonight isn't he.

August 28, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  16. Janey

A show is right and that is all it is–pomp and glamour–Obama missed the boat after being given every opportunity to connect with Americans–Just a disappointed working nurse.

August 28, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  17. Deb, Allentown, PA

Candy, some military types? Give me a break. Could you be more in the tank for McCain. Those weren't "some military types". They were RETIRED GENERALS.

August 28, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  18. vli

Wow, he's working on the women...he keeps mentioning his mom, grandmother and their struggles....what about the guys? and their struggles?
    I hope women don't buy the bull!!!

The former Dem doesn't

August 28, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  19. Disappointed Dem

I think Obama Is not Going to receive the numbers of Votes reported In the primary caucus states , There are no caucuses In the general elections , His thugs can't intimidate people to vote for obama that didn't want to , like were reported in the caucus states . These folks Who felt intimidated Will Vote for McCain , In The Sainity (sp)? of the voting booth !!! .

Democrat For John McCain 2008

August 28, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  20. Neel- Toronto

It is only the begining of new era... so you can be tired and boared for next 8 yrs. Please don't take any benefit from the change. LOSER

August 28, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  21. Dave

I am disappointed by this "historic" speech. This is just a recycled primary monologue.

August 28, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. Dan J

His speech is boring me to tears. Little new. Nothing compelling.

August 28, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  23. Robert Wooller from Bradford England, UK

This is a convention like no other!!!

August 28, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  24. Chris

Not really impressed. His introduction was nice. Yea, appears like anyone of us.....
    Doesn't make him qualified for the most important position of the world.
    He really is working on the woman vote. "puke"
    Bottom line Hillary was robbed of the nomination and election. Obama is not ready to be President.

I am so mad that I might have to vote for McCain

August 28, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  25. No Way, No How, No George McCain!

It is funny that the paid republican bloggers think bashing Obama will make me change my vote.

No Way, No How, No George McCain!

No Way, No How, No George McCain!

No Way, No How, No George McCain!

No Way, No How, No George McCain!

August 28, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |