August 28th, 2008

Gergen: A political masterpiece

CNN

Watch Obama says the country is better than what it has gotten the past four years.

I imagine that lots of you out there remain fierce critics of Barack Obama. Next week Republicans will legitimately debate and challenge many of his ideas, especially about his call for a more activist government. It will be fascinating now when John McCain and Obama meet in debates.

But for this moment and for this purpose, I saw Obama's speech tonight as a political masterpiece. As I had a chance to say on CNN a few moments ago, it was in many ways less a speech than a symphony. I also sensed that we saw tonight an Obama who is growing into a new, more mature leader - stronger, tougher, harder-hitting than he had appeared only a few weeks ago.

Watch: 'Our work won't be easy,' Obama says

Whether Obama will win this Novemember or not is still very unclear, but if he does, I imagine we may look back and say this was a major turning point.

Many of you, I know, will disagree. From all of you, I would welcome your thoughts - you, after all, are the voters who will actually decide the fate of the country.

1. April in Texas

Barack Obama nailed that speech... I was WoW'ed... I didnt think he could outshine some of his other speeches I have heard but that was the best speech I have heard ever. I am white and I feel proud we have come so far from what I learned in history. I have a son and daughter who are teens and this was beyond awesome. We can be better than Washington thinks we can be and it is time to take our country back..

Obama/ Biden 08

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  2. jeff

What a great way to spend my birthday. Watching the next great chapter in American History unfold before my eyes.

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  3. Xavier

Great speech! Thanks for letting me be a witness to history, Mr. President.

Obama in 2008!

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  4. Sherry, Atlanta

I, FOR ONE. . .AGREE WITH YOU!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  5. Agreed David!

This was an inspiring speech for any American with a pulse!

He does "get it" and McCain/Bush clearly does not.

I pray the country can put aside their racist and prejudiced fear – full pitiful behavior and comments and get on with making this nation what it used to be, or we will be doomed to be less than the lesser of any existing nation.

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  6. joseph

It was not lyrical. It was not rhetorical. It was functional like he said it would be.

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  7. Reg from Georgia

I listened to his speech as I scanned the crowd over the airwaves. I felt tears running down my cheeks because I saw the America that I always hoped to see. The speech was absolutely flawless...

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. Emily Moran

I thought the speech was great!
    I am an independent because of the abortion issue but I liked Obama's philosophy on our differences of beliefs.

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Democrat for Hillary

Oh Please !!!! Nothing like a lot of Liberal, self-important journalists patting themselves and their golden boy on the back. The media gave him the same lovefest after his Euro tour and nothing changed in the polls. i tried like hell to pay attention to his speech and was bored. Bring back Hillary–she was an awesome speaker and her delivery blew Obama's speech tonight away.
    Kathleen, Springfield MA

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  10. Don

You got it wrong, many of us will agree with you that this was the turning point, don't be cynical David.

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  11. Gregory

This was indeed a masterpiece. And yes, I agree that regardless of the outcome in November, America will remain forever changed. Thank you Senator Obama!

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  12. Dee

His speech was a masterpiece. I am still in awe. I am now more than ever committed to the cause of making sure he becomes the next president of these United States

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  13. Ami

I agree – a masterpiece from a true leader! I hope that all of America will wake up and realize that he is the one we so desperately need to lead our country!

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  14. Griff

Two Words said it all!! Your, A Democrat!!!! So your BIASED!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  15. R Warren

This truly is a remarkable time in history. As i listened to Barack's speech, i felt as though i was living inside of a history book as each page was being written.

This is the first time a political speach has brought me to the verge of tears. I feel so proud to be an American. God has truly blessed our great nation.

Historic speech!!

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  16. Annie O

After watching the convention and Obama's speech tonight, I am convinced that he is precisely what this country needs at this critical time. Despite my differences with him on some issues, I think that he is this country's last, best hope. God speed, Senator Obama. I hope to see you and your lovely family in the White House.

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  17. wallace

i think it was a great speach. Deep in details. he made good comparisons and layed out his plans very well. i think he made a winning argument to the millions of undecided voters. it may however get lost in the republican negative attack machine.

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  18. Scott L

Does Barney and the rest of the Democrat party understand that BILL CLINTON SIGNED NAFTA INTO LAW??? If Democrats are so opposed to it, why didn't Bill veto? ALSO, why does he still support it today????

Do you people even understand what your party is all about? It is obvious how much you are gushing over Barney (who doesn't look like he's missed a meal in a day might I add) yet you don't understand that Clinton signed NAFTA!!!!! Wake up Democrats!!! Obama is going to get crushed in November...

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  19. Mari

David you are absolutely right! I am a lifelong Democrat who was among the undecided. There is no doubt who I will be voting for in November after what I heard tonight! Dr. King is somewhere looking down and must be very, very proud!

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  20. RyanD.

Absolutely masterful speech. Hammered every inane Republican talking point 6 feet into the ground.

Obama-Biden 08!

August 28, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  21. Derrick - Houston, TX

It was! From top to bottom, the whole production was brilliant.

Sorry haters, but get used to saying this:

President Obama
    Vice President Biden

August 28, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  22. NYorker

That was a FASCINATING speech......WOW!!!!!!! I'm speechless! I was in tears...and the best ending!

August 28, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  23. M C

What is my opinion??? Celebrate tonight Obama people, because in November, he will lose. The Democratic Party and Obama are out of touch with most Americans. We will just wait for Hillary in 2012.

August 28, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  24. Emma

Obama is the hope. He will be a fine president, and we'll hope he will have a Congress that will work with him.

August 28, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |