August 28th, 2008

Gergen: The Obama speech arrives

Sen. Barack Obama waves to a sea of supporters Thursday.
Sen. Barack Obama waves to a sea of supporters Thursday.

An advance copy of the Obama speech has just been distributed. Because of the embargo, I won't go into content for the moment - but know that it is long and is much meatier than most acceptance addresses. Word count estimate: about 4500 words. Will look forward to hearing listener comments as we go.

1. Thalia-Fan Loves Hillary

is prob going to be the same thing he is always saying

all this people will not go to the polls in november

an McCain will Win

an Hillary will be Back to save us in 2012

August 28, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. bruce fan

Are they actually playing "Born in the U.S.A." at the convention, or is it added in the broadcast for those of us at home? Cause if it's played at the convention...wow....

If you've ever listened to the lyrics, you'll know it's about the less-than-warm welcome Vietnam war vets got upon returning home...not very appropriate, considering Obama's opponent.

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. john williams san diego, ca.

David...is that warm and fuzzy feeling about to come ??

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. Dan

David,
    People may be dissappointed with the speech. I just got done reading the transcript. If he sticks to it, they will NOT get the close-up of his stances on issues. They must buy his book next week to get the close-up of his issues. Smart tactic, as is the running of his whole entire campaign with internet based strategies.

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  5. Franky

Well...I might as well just watch it because I don't know where the boys are at. Man forget that!

Is cool David. I'm just gonna be here now, I ain't gonna let them in now, LOL!!

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  6. Doug

Wow. Those "real people" testimonials were more effective than any of the politicians speeches I've seen tonight. They felt very real, and very convincing. Any one else think so? Very Oprah, in that they were confessional, person, and heart felt (except maybe the teacher, who seemed more like a politician). Too bad they didn't run those in the 10PM hour instead of Dick Durbin. Would be better programming.

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  7. Northwood

Can CNN please stop distorting this event...in just one segement you claim 90,000 people in attendence and that the place is packed...as you span empty seats with your cover..You are making this event less by strecthing the truth because you have nothing worthy to say yet..Just let it happen. We are not stupid.

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  8. Sara

who cares what you anal-ists think?

WE THE PEOPLE WILL MAKE UP OUR OWN MINDS !!!!!!!

CSPAN WON'T CUT IN LIKE YOU RUDE PEOPLE DO.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK FOR US

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. Anonymous

FOR GOD'S SAKE. I AM WATCHING THE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION AND INSTEAD OF COVERING THE CONVENTION YOU SHOW TALKING HEADS TRYING TO MAKE AIR TIME.
    YOU DID NOT COVER THE COMMENTS OF THE GENERALS. YOU DID NOT COVER THE COMMENTS FROM THE PEOPLE WHO SPOKE FROM THEIR HEARTS.

I AM NOW WATCHING CSPAN AND I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU HAVE FAILED OUR COUNTY.

WAKE UP AND COVER WHAT IS IMPORTANT.

KARL KLEEMAN

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. NY Dem

Thanks David!! I love CNN!! Especially Anderson!!!!

August 28, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  11. Don

I have read a preview on the site, i think he has done a very difficult job, why?

Because the media have kept saying he is not specific, but he has been more specific than the other candidate, eg, i have never heard McCain talk about education... its unfortunate, most unfortunate

August 28, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  12. melanie

I THAT OBAMA IS GOING TO WIN BECAUSE I KNOW THAT THE CITIZENS WANT HIM TO WIN AND BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

August 28, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  13. sacto joe

Did you HEAR Al Gore? Talk about ripping a new cavity in Senator McCain and the Republican party!

August 28, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  14. ck

Yawn.....

August 28, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  15. Citizens on Stage!

Why isn't CNN acknowledging the "ordinary" Americans who just told their stories on stage? They were very inspirational...

August 28, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  16. Sara

CNN IS OWNED BY A REPUBLICAN

August 28, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  17. Parker

I was a Hillary supporter, I am anxious to hear his speech. He is going to have to knock it out of the park to compare to Hillary.

That being said, I will vote for him

August 28, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  18. A celebrity

People say that Obama is a great orator, and say it as if it were a bad thing...
    A LEADER is someone that can give others HOPE
    a LEADER is someone that inspire others to invest in a cause higher than themselves.
    a LEADER is someone that can make folks BELIEVE in coming together
    a true LEADER pulls people to him/her out of love, not fear.
    If that means Barack is a celebrity too, then it's a good thing.

I see nothing but fear and doubt from John McCain- experienced as he is in Washington politics, I do not trust him to run our country.

August 28, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  19. Sara

BET CNN DOES A BETTER JOB NEXT WEEK FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT ARE COMPLAINING – I STILL WON'T BE WATCHING THEM. THEY SUCK

August 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  20. DANELLA

off topic...David Gergen is one of only two people I consider to be qualified to fill the shoes of our beloved Tim Russert. Despite his position as a democratic strategist, he gives objective commentary and critiques of every aspect about which he is questioned.

John King would be my second pick for the same reasons.

August 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  21. Harvey Parhar

David,
    With the exception of Clintons, democrats lack message; they always need hand holding, and they seek support through conversations of race, gender etc.

I am a long life democrat but not anymore. Democrats, even after watching convention, are simply not convincing to me UNLESS its clintons sending the messages.

I am a republican forever.

Harvey from OH

August 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  22. Denise

One of the best orators of our time

August 28, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  23. EqualBranchesofGovernment

Why so long?..Granted the Senator is a great orator.....but doesn't he know people have to go to work in the morning?

It was good to see the Democrats honor our retired generals.

Thank you for your service to our country Mr. Gergen

August 28, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  24. Scott Lovejoy

I have heard many comments about how the Brack Obama speech in Berlin was a problem in his polling.

My question is:

What is BAD about watching 200,000 Europeans waving American Flags at an event??

It shows Europeans are thirsty for American leadership!

August 28, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  25. Newly Independent Former Dem Writing in Hillary

I think it is CRAP that the media gets advance copies of speeches.

And sometimes the media tells us what is in it.

At the moment I change channels.

August 28, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |