August 28th, 2008

Gergen: The Obama speech arrives

Sen. Barack Obama waves to a sea of supporters Thursday.
Sen. Barack Obama waves to a sea of supporters Thursday.

An advance copy of the Obama speech has just been distributed. Because of the embargo, I won't go into content for the moment - but know that it is long and is much meatier than most acceptance addresses. Word count estimate: about 4500 words. Will look forward to hearing listener comments as we go.

1. Lovely in VA

Come on Northwood, it's filled to capacity. People mingle, bathroom breaks, etc. The line to get in was 6 miles long of human beings. The happy place is packed!!! Don't be a downer, that's not healthy.

August 28, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  2. Jackie-NYC

I just read thru Obama's speech and it's good. Everyone keeps asking for Obama to give specifics on what and how he will handle the issues. I have yet to hear those specifics from John McCain – oh wait he doesn't need to because his term will be a contuation of the Bush administration.

Give the speech a chance, reading thru it it is good – a little long – but good.

August 28, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  3. Love Obama

I see the FIXED news copter over ROVE's house!!!!!!! Oh no....

August 28, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  4. from Russia with Love

Obama and his buddies have captured this nomination by dumping Hillary. This is a FACT, and will go in history books.

I still remember the primaries how he failed to recognize President Clinton's work and efforts made for African-Americans, and labelled Prez Clinton a racist.

Opportunist as Obama is, he himself made failed judgement all his life, and now again by picking old Washington politican Biden thinking Biden will help, but I do not think so.

August 28, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  5. Sara

I'll never in my life figure out how ANY American can prefer a war-mongering old man over this Constitutional Scholar. He is so articulate and he THINKS !!

People ridicule him because he pauses to think. He HAS NOT memorized a bunch of answers that he speaks no matter what – he THINKS before he responds.

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  6. Cheryl Swaim

I agree with Barney Smith. That;s why I won't vote for Obama.
    McKinney '08

August 28, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. Willy

Let me guess. It says Obama good, McCain bad.

August 28, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  8. dad&daughterbloggers

It is time to cover the event. The talking heads can talk without being seen. Let things happen as they are planned to. The people will make their own minds.

Let's get real, McCain has not talked about anything in all the ads he has spent money on. For Obama, like that old song, "If you don't know me by now, you will never never know me." It is time to hit McCain on the issues. No more of trying to get America to know him. All McCain talks about is being a POW. Yeah we get it. What else you got McLame. Obama is what this country need right here right now.

August 28, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  9. Joe

ALL men and women of good faith must rise up for a change enough is enough. Gop and all blood suckers must go!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is a challenge to Humanity!, no doubt.
    ALL the lies, ALL the spining, all the blood spill, ALL THE KILLING MUST COMES TO AN END., ALL the war mongers must be stop and put to their place.
    "Whatever goes up must come down" The time is here!
    RISE UP, RISE UP, RISE UP TO HUMANINITY.
    No going back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!now or never

August 28, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  10. No Hillary = No Obama

What a self-centered person.

August 28, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  11. Sara

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA !!!!!!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!!!!!

August 28, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  12. Tom in Delaware

There will be points lost because of race; Many more than any poll taken to date can possibly reflect, and here's why:

50% of people called for a poll will hang-up the phone. They don't possess the tolerance to take a poll.

Of those people there is also a far greater level a racial intolerance than there is in the group that is willing to take the poll in the first place.

Those racist people do, however, cast votes during the general election. I don't know how many there are, but I do suspect that it is a sizeable amount throught the country to have a powerful impact on the election.

This entire issue is treated like the elephant standing in the livingroom. Everybody knows it's there, but no one dares bring it up in conversation.

I beleive that untalked about factor will sway this election. The polls will never reflect their opinions, and they themselves will not come out and publicly proclaim their position because of it's unacceptabilty in society.

We'll know for sure on November 4th.

If all the polls show this race as a tie and it ends up being a McCain landslide, then this explanation will prove to be true.

August 28, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. Brenda Owens, Horn Lake, MS

He is the one. He is what this country needs to make people care. The people of this country have gotten so tired of the same old people and same old talk. The hatefulness of the Republican party praying on the poor with fear tactics. I know he want let us down. God is walking with him and will protect him because he is what we need.

August 28, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  14. soloobama08

No more distraction let me watch the speech please:):)....CNN

August 28, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  15. Sara

Don't censor me again CNN

Sara August 28th, 2008 10:06 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  16. honesty

Sick of this empty suit. Sick of how political opportunism has pushed a novice to the presidency. I am sick of this spectacle, of this "bombastic" (using some of the words of BO personal friend/family – the racist reverend Wright) display of a bunch of inflated air, wrapped in arrogance and in the promise of empty words.
    No I reject the notion of a "learn on the job" kind of presidency.
    You are all fools to fall prey once again for the "likable" guy.

America good luck

August 28, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  17. Scott L

@Tom in Delaware...Obama is the racist and I quote from his speech: "I get it. I realize that I am not the likeliest candidate for this office. I don't fit the typical pedigree, and I haven't spent my career in the halls of Washington."

Obama playing the race card YET again.

August 28, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  18. marie

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  19. GeeMac

Regrets but I have to respond to Thalia – Fan Loves Hillary...or any other Hillary turn-to-McCain turncoat:

....I supported Hillary but she didn't run the progressive and organized campaign that Obama did and couldn't raise the money. IT"S TIME TO MOVE ON! ....if you can't move on and plan to retreat to the Repubs and vote McCain ....then it wasn't about Hillary after all.....go ahead ....

If you are dumb enough to go with a party that has no regard for a FEMALE'S right to choose.....the Republican party is what you deserve.

August 28, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  20. Toot

Instead of having people buy his book, he should give it to us because we are on the verge of change..so give us the book to support you as President!!

August 28, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  21. No Hillary = No Obama

OH MY GOSH. What an Obama-centric video – all these self-references, all these "I"'s, "me's" – oh my, what have we here. I have never seen such an extravagant self-indulgence. This man exploits the Bush failings – any moron can do that – to pump himself up and promote himself. Notice after accepting the nomination by again referencing himself and his wife, he hails the Clinton's – because he knows without them he's nothing more than a talker. Oh my gosh – I still can't believe how self-centered he is.

August 28, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  22. Mr.shine

OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA We must all pledge to help him to keeps these promises he can't do it alone just like you pledge to change I pledge to help and not stand and wait for you to do it!!!
    OBAMA 08 let's go

August 28, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. No Hillary = No Obama

Obama telling them what they want to hear. This guy knows how to work a crowd – I wish he would stop saying "I', "I', "I" – try and keep count – somebody count how many times he says "I" -

August 28, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  24. McCain all the way!

Wonder who wrote that for him. Its funny as I sit here watching all these people-its like they are hooked and it really does not look like a political event but more of a circus act. Except for the stage-it reflects obummers arrogance. LOL. Pride always comes before the fall so I have learned....McCain will win this election

August 28, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. Democrats Unite - Obama/ Biden 08!! Whoop whoop!!! :-)

McCain WILL NOT WIN THIS ELECTION!!! Sorry to break it ya Repugs!!!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!!