August 28th, 2008

Gergen: The Obama speech arrives

Sen. Barack Obama waves to a sea of supporters Thursday.
Sen. Barack Obama waves to a sea of supporters Thursday.

An advance copy of the Obama speech has just been distributed. Because of the embargo, I won't go into content for the moment - but know that it is long and is much meatier than most acceptance addresses. Word count estimate: about 4500 words. Will look forward to hearing listener comments as we go.

1. No Hillary = No Obama

HEY OBAMA – IT's ABOUT US – NOT ABOUT YOU

August 28, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. Who would want McCain after what we have seen of Barack and his Organization

No matter how much he outline his plans for changing American in DETAILS the haters still keep saying they don/t know what his plans are? You must all dumb and deaf. Just like you all keep saying that no one knows who Barack i/ He is a relative new comer.. give us a break. People all over the World must be laughing at America. Barack has been out during the primaries for over 18 months talking you the people. He has tell you his entire life story. He has recounted his plans in detail. Also it is online, for those of you who can read. It is there. Stop using excuses to be ingnorat. It making us sick.

August 28, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  3. Linda

He's not done yet and I'm blown away and so proud to have Barack Obama as my future President of the United States! YES WE CAN ELECT HIM! AND WE WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  4. Romil Shah

David Gergen, You have gone out of your mind. I respected you a lot in the beginning of this election year, when I respected your views. But today you are like others such as Gloria Borger or Whats the name of that woman who is anchor of 8pm show at CNN.
    Please don't spoil your reputation for a person who can not be a good president of this great nation.

August 28, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  5. Drew NJ

I'm surprised CNN hasn't given yet another state to obama, Minnesota, which has him winning by 6-10%.
    He's going to win.

August 28, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. E

of course Barack can give a speech. but this is really a snoozer. Hillary gave a much better speech. And I totally agree with the posters above...this I....I....I...me...me....me is out of control. I hate to agree with David Brooks and other conservatives about the messianic overtones. But they have a point. I heard Obama on NPR saying we need to learn more about him. I say, he needs to learn more about us.

August 28, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  7. LT for Obama

For all you haters, he confirms, this is "about you".

Why is it so long? He has a lot to say that so many of you say you needed to hear so don't complain when he puts it ALL out there for you. Don't complain because he wanted to share this event with as many people he could. Don't complain because he wants to see your lives better than they are now.

He has confirmed for me again and again why I support him whole heartedly flaws and all.

August 28, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  8. Reader

David:

I like Obama and I will vote for him. But the speech is too long for the 21st century reader and rambles way too much. He has moments of clarity and power than it veers off in the SUV off into across the prairies. Also, to be honest, I'm a little bothered by the chanting rally which to this Boomer, echoes eerily other types of rallies in Europe circa 1939.

I will vote for Obama. But this is too over the top and too all over the place to keep me on the screen. I would have preferred something more cogent, more personal more intimate.

August 28, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  9. David W.

4500 Words!! It will be a lot more than that with all of the I's, ah's, umn's and the other sounds he makes. Glad I will miss it.

August 28, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  10. Brenda Owens, Horn Lake, MS

Viewing the comments posted. I can tell who the Republicans are. They are the ones who hate the government think, write and talk devisive and hate mongering. The best they can do against Obama is say he is a celebrity. Well I I I I want to say McCain is definitely no celebrity and he does not deserve my vote because he was a POW. I am thankful for his service however that is not the reason I or anyone should vote for his tired old hateful ideas and political tom foolery. So you hate mongers while we who truly love this country preach love and unity keep up the same old tired divisive politics and those sleeping giants will wake you up.

August 28, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  11. DRH

Did Obama explain it to you republicans and swing voters clearly, or are you guys going to let South Africa shame you all. Don’t let the color of his skin or his name stop you from doing what is RIGHT. We need change!!!!!!!! We the people to from one union, it’s about US!!!!!!!! TRUTH!!!!!! Vote Democrat

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. Junakirii

Former Clinton voter here. Obama's speech was tough, intelligent, direct, and moving. I intended to vote for him before tonight; now, I can't wait.

Aside: If you want to watch events such as this convention, ignore the 24-hour channels and switch to C-SPAN. You will find no nattering idiots whose "commentary" directly contradicts what you are seeing and hearing; whose "analysis" is shallow and irrelevant; and whose excessive screen time means you don't get to hear speakers like Barney Smith.

August 28, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  13. Pepper

Sounds like a preacher or a football coach before the big game in his style. In substance he trashes every free market solution and offers no alternative. In some cases he speaks of goals with no plan to get there. Other goals have government as the solution. Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Is he too young to remember the Regan/Bush/Clinton years. He advaocates a return to pre-Regan philosophy of government. Sorry. Been there done that. Just a pep rally for a return to the Carter years. While his showing was poor, I still want to hear McCain before I decide.

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  14. betty

Lot's of Promises & McCain Bashing. Sounds like old time Politics to me. I'm wondering how Obama's going to fulfill all these Promises in 4 short years–if he even gets the chance. Oh yea, with the help of old Washington Politics & Joe Biden!! Hillary Will Be Back!!

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  15. Robert in CT

I never expected so much meat in an acceptance speech.

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  16. independent now

no home run...

August 28, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  17. Adam

This was the speech Obama needed to give. As a canadian, I have a somewhat outside view of the American election, and I felt he tackled all the points he needed to. While it wasn't his most motivating speech, he tackled all of his weaknesses, showed his strengths, and displayed why he will be the next President of the United States of America.

August 28, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. Mr.shine

NO WAY NO HOW NO MCSTAIN!! About the only thing Bush can be thanked for is showing us. That politicians are not our saviors!! WE MUST CHANGE and not accept the same old thing!! anyone in favor of Mcstain. Stop being lazy and welcome to the new America!!!

August 28, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  19. EAOU41

its sad you people all still consider yourself democrat or republican. Why not consider yourself a citizen of the United States for once. Last time I checked being either or didn't make you any better or more patriotic, just more ignorant to the true reality that is the harsh grip of poor leadership and lack luster politics that is a so called "America". Set your party bickering aside for once and focus on true change for the advancement of true patriotism, the reconstruction of a now tarnished nation.

I for one will not be taking a 10% chance on change. Yet a 100% chance on freedom, and the reform that we as a country we have been stripped for the past 20 years.

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  20. Isabella, California

That was a great speech. I have usually voted Republican but this time I'm voting for Obama.

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  21. Republican for Obama

Denial could be rife amongst some Republicans but not me. America will not be suffocated yet again by mediocrity. Change is on the way.

Obama-Biden 2008

August 28, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  22. George Garrett

It appears some people have already counted the ballots. Wasn't that what Daily did in Chicago in 1960? Perhaps we can count Chicago again.

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  23. christina

i am a supporter of obama he moves, inspires, and touches me in his speeches and enthusisiam. however i do wonder why polticians choose born in the usa as a support song it is against america and and it treated vets, everyone has gottn it wrong since regan

August 28, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  24. Dingle225

90 percent of votes in Senate are unanimous.

FACT

Close to 90 percent of the senate votes on things that are fluff and don't mean much.

ALL senate votes are 90 percent the same.

FACTS

THINK AMERICA

Use a clear head and check up on 'facts' yourself. Do your own research and don't take anything for truth till you check it for yourself.

You don't even have to believe me about this stat about the senate (its OK I am not running for anything) check it for yourself on an unbiased web site (one that is not opinion based, a dry gov site even)

Think for yourselves and remember McCain and Obama are working for themselves to get elected THATS IT its their job right now and goal and like all that came before them they will say anything to get elected and say elected.

Think clearly check facts yourself don't be drawn in to the hype (of eaither side)

Then vote in Nov for the person you want not who may be the most hated or most loved.

August 28, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  25. RealityKing

Obama said that John McCain is a member of the old Republican guard. You know, the traditional belief that you are on your own in this world.

But then he went on to say that his understands the need for government because of his family.., his Grandfather, who came back after WWII and re-educated himself on the GI bill. His Mother, who worked and struggled, on her own, to give him a good education. And his Grandmother, who "taught him the meaning of hard work" and "how to surive on his own". Huh!? What!!?? But , but, aren't those the very same old traditional values that John McCain represents..?

Is Obama saying that he no longer believes what he was taught as a child? Or that he understands old traditional values??

August 28, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |