August 28th, 2008

Gergen: Worth reading Gore's speech again

Gore addressed the Democratic National Convention Thursday.
Gore addressed the Democratic National Convention Thursday.

Before it gets lost in the excitement at Mile High Stadium, it is worth going back and reading Al Gore's speech tonight. While his delivery was way too rushed, the substance of his speech was something that the country needs to think and talk about a lot more: a possible catastrophe building up around us.

Watch Gore's entire speech

Gore has been trying to tell the U.S. and the world for some time now about the dangers of global warming, and to his credit, he has been honored with both an Academy Award and a Nobel Prize for his efforts. But neither of the candidates - nor have the parties - spent enough time talking about what is ahead and what we must do. Every expert I know thinks it will require sacrifice on our part - higher prices for using fossil fuels. When will the candidates level with us on what is required?

Some of you, I am sure, disagree with Al Gore and perhaps you don't even like him, but I must say that from my perspective, we need to pay attention to what he is saying.

1. Thalia-Fan Loves Hillary

Gore was sooo Boooooring

August 28, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  2. Bob

Focus-- Repub-li-sons --the Democraps want you too ......1st... air up your tires , 2nd.... drive down to the cow Poop farm , and catch cow poop gas ...3rd.... turn stinking cow poop gas into electricity ....4th....... get on your battery powered tractor to plow fields 30 minutes at a time before Recharging batteries ...5th ......pay for higher gas probably 5.00 gal ....6th..... with no drilling equals less supply higher oil and gas .............Focus....FOCUS....Repub-li-sons

August 28, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  3. No McCain No How

Gore was not "rushed" he was URGENT"

August 28, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  4. NoMcSame

I will read it if I can get a copy.Gore got robbed by the cheating republicans. This thing is going to be a LANDSLID so that they will not have a chance to cheat their way in.Gore is a great man.
    They have nothing to do but hate. The White House has columns and many of the other buildings around Washington and the country has columns. The plantations down south has them and many houses that are in our towns and cities. I have gone to many churches and seen columns in them. They can't talk about ISSUES at all because they are on the wrong side of most of them. The republican party is WEAK and the tricks are OLD so they have nothing else to talk about. The republicans have an OLD DRIED UP OLD man running for president of this country and the people don't want him. Ronald the Raygun could not come out of the grave to help McSame win this thing.
    OBAMA08

August 28, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  5. Canadian Cate

Of course he's right, but it's all about the money afterall isn't it. . . all of the wonderful things society COULD be doing that is not in the best interests of MONEY does not get done – just think of the inventions out there that get buried and squashed that would benefit both mankind and the planet!

August 28, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. Anti-Negativity

I'm glad you said that, because I thought his message was very important and worth hearing!

August 28, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  7. Sandy

I don't care if the speach was delivered while in the shower, if He spoke for Obama He gets my vote.

August 28, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. Leigh Stevens

Al Gore made a beautiful speech!
    I wish to hear every person speak so please please please news commentators SHUT UP!!! while all the speakers come up. Not just the ones you feel are important...... You are missing out!!!

August 28, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. Bob

on a hundred acre farm , just outside of town , my ol dog was a barking , barking real loud , with big sad eyes , all he was trying to say, was don't vote for obama , be happy another day , with a wag of his tail , he let out one last holler , say don't vote for obama , he gonna take your last dollar ....

August 28, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. OMG

THANK YOU AL GORE !!! I hope you have an important role in the Obama Cabinet. You have been a tireless and fearless leader and we really, really appreciate your efforts.

Thank you for your speech tonight and keep on telling us what we need to know and consider.

August 28, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  11. DONALD FAHRENKRUG

Global warming is a complete and total hoax. Mankind couldn't increase the the temp if they tried. Global warming is a fraud so these globalists can push us into a world government. Period. Just like 30 years ago, the coming ice age was a fraud, so today we have another fraud being forced on us by all these mindless scientists.

August 28, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  12. Kevin,FL

Al Gore speech was boring his delivery, wasn't powerful enough I know Al could have done better

August 28, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  13. Sam Rose

Agree-
    I also thought Susan Eisenhower had a great message.

August 28, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  14. Who would want McCain after what we have seen of Barack and his Organization

One more thing Mr. Gergen, Bill and Hillary had to come out and retracted all the bad things they said to damage Barack in the Primaires.l They own it to the Demorcatic party (their employers) to unite the party. They tried to tear Barack apart because they wanted to win at all cost. It cost them a lot and they need to repair their status with the American people as well as the party. So they did not only do it for Barack they do it mostly for themselves.

August 28, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  15. Pez

If Al Gore really believed what he was saying he would step aside and let people who are more magnetic deliver his message. He's not the leader we're looking for. If he really wanted to sacrifice for his cause he would also sacrifice the spotlight. I just don't believe anything he says. To me he's the guy who said he invented the internet and that's why he should be President.

August 28, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. Franky

Well, I can tell you what President Bush did to the environmentalists. You know David, you're right. I may not agree with Al or like him for that matter but you know what? We have been this path before. if I believe in my country's past, there's no question I believe in my country's future. That's how I'll see it...

August 28, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  17. Scott L

Will Obama be wearing his flag pin? Why did he abandon his younger brother George Obama????

August 28, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  18. Scott L

@Canadian Cate-

This is exactly why Gore is a fraud. If he truly wanted his message to get out there he would have made an Inconvenient Truth FREE from anyone's corporate hands...instead you have to pay $19.95 for the DVD...soon to come on Blu Ray I am sure!

August 28, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  19. Ron

Way too rushed? You mean he didn't wait for the self-adulation of each "applause line?" For a couple of moments, I agreed with you...until I realized just what Gore was doing; he was talking to people, not simply "speechifying." At the end of the day, it was pointed, smart and refreshing.

August 28, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  20. Bob

Change" that picture on that dollar bill ..........."Change " the most powerful country in the world to the weakest ..."Change" Healthcare where you have to wait in the waiting room for days instead of Hours ...." Change" the flag , Change " the national anthem ...."Change" "Change" Change" .....................Na I stick with Mcsame ...

August 28, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  21. Mahatma Kane Jeeves

Mr. Gergen,

You're acting as if this is settled science, and it's not. I hear that Wal*Mart is having a sale on clues – you might want to stop by and pick one up.

August 28, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Jen in PA

Until the average American citizen thinks that it's not their RIGHT to burn as much fossil fuel, and continues to leave the problems to their children, nothing will change.

I mean, even if you don't believe in global warming, do you remember so little science that the fossil fuels are made from prehistoric plants and ferns? Hello...they are going to run out. But that's your kids' problem, isn't it?

August 28, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. Phil Miller

Mr Gergen,

I respectfully submit that if every expert you know thinks that sacrifices are in order to combat global warming, then you don't know enough experts.

August 28, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  24. lwhite

Gore is a powerful thinker, find mind and great patriot..but for the cheating of the election, the bias of a bush stacked supreme court he would have been our president and our country would have had judicious leadership.
    Somebody said, "why do they dislike intelligence in this country in leaders." Another person at theDemoratic convention said, "Too many people thought George Bush..W..was a great guy to have a beer with..."and in consequence at the end of 8 years, lots of them lost their house."

August 28, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  25. INDEPENDANT VET

How come with all thse big dollars he spent on his own paradice , that his electricbill is so much higher. ????

Just shut his mouth , would save a lot of energy.

More of the Dc Hollywood . do gooders.

August 28, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |