August 28th, 2008

Gergen: Worth reading Gore's speech again

Gore addressed the Democratic National Convention Thursday.
Gore addressed the Democratic National Convention Thursday.

Before it gets lost in the excitement at Mile High Stadium, it is worth going back and reading Al Gore's speech tonight. While his delivery was way too rushed, the substance of his speech was something that the country needs to think and talk about a lot more: a possible catastrophe building up around us.

Watch Gore's entire speech

Gore has been trying to tell the U.S. and the world for some time now about the dangers of global warming, and to his credit, he has been honored with both an Academy Award and a Nobel Prize for his efforts. But neither of the candidates - nor have the parties - spent enough time talking about what is ahead and what we must do. Every expert I know thinks it will require sacrifice on our part - higher prices for using fossil fuels. When will the candidates level with us on what is required?

Some of you, I am sure, disagree with Al Gore and perhaps you don't even like him, but I must say that from my perspective, we need to pay attention to what he is saying.

1. Speak, Colorado

RNC Carly Fiorina for VP

August 28, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  2. James in Ohio

Oh please, he way rushed his delivery. Great words but with the robotic tone and quick delivery the power of those words will be lost.

August 28, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  3. Bob

sang it with me folks .....it was the spare necessities , the simple spare necessities , forget about my ummm, aaannnd ,,eerrr, my troubles and my gripes ....it was the skipping two states in the primaries , the acorning on all the sundays , the taking away your freedom and your , uumm ,,aaand , eeer ,,,iiifff , your rights ....

August 28, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  4. j witt

Why is CNN not showing the speeches of "regular" people? All the commentators say how Obama needs to connect with "regular" people, and instead of airing them, are repeating commentaries that have been made over and over.

What gives?

August 28, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. Steve Marks

I agree Mr Gergen; if you think housing crisis is bad wait 'til we have serial flooding and crop crises here and abroad.

And to you skeptics, recall Mr Gergen has been advisor to both parties and many leaders and presidents.

I would hope he uses his expertise to help scienteists and polticians willing to engage in the policy process that will need to be taken on ....soon. It would be a huge contribution to the nation.

August 28, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  6. john williams san diego, ca.

GERGEN- I know you are still upset about his losing the election, but please come to terms with the fact that Al is bi-polar and i'm not talking ice caps here.

August 28, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Yes, Gergen, your deep and impressive record as a scientific mind in the arena of Global Warming really lends credit to your perspective that we need to spend a lot of time on this issue. Thank you. Without your contribution, where would we be?

August 28, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  8. chitowngal07

Call me a pesemist however I don't think that much will be done for the environment regardless who gets elected. It is darn shame but it is true. Gore is and will be my hero for many reasons but truth be told his speech could have had more umpth....Too bad Al decided not to run he would have definitely run away with it.

August 28, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  9. Kevin

Gore's time has come and gone-he doesn't deserve a forum any more than I do. At least I have a better understanding of the science involving earth's climate than he does. Then again, an attentive first grader probably has a better understanding. Gore is a joke!

August 28, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  10. Denise

Beautiful speech!

August 28, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. Gordo

Jimmy Carter tried thirty years ago to start working and thinking in the area of the impact of human activity on earth's wildlife and climate. If we had listened then, and got to work, we would not be in such a jam now. I am no scientist, but I think we are well past the point of no return, and there is an unavoidable and unpleasant change in weather coming. It will disrupt the lives of those living at the time. Those like me, who can expect to die before 2050, will probably never see the worst of it. Those of you who were born after 1980, get ready.

August 28, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. New Yorker

Al Gore needs to put his money where his mouth is.

August 28, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. Robert Wooller from Bradford England, UK

I just can't wait for Mr Obama's speech. It is a once in a life time opportunity. Not long now...

August 28, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. Jan lL.

This is a great man, who was cheated out of being the president, think of the lives that would have been saved, soldiers,innocent iraques,the injuries that would not have occured. The debt that we now owe and our children will pay for. We should have taken to the streets, we would have been so much better off. History will prove that the election was stolen.

August 28, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  15. Mike Bulmer

If a group of 9 lawyers can snatch the outcome of an election from millions upon millions of voters, you'd probably feel a little cheated.

Gore found a new voice with the global warming crisis, and he is speaking to us not as Democrats or Republicans, or even as Americans, but as human beings and residents of a planet in peril. We must all do our part to prevent a global catastrophe before we reach a point of inevitability.

August 28, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  16. Fred

I don't see what the fuse is all about. Here we are claiming that a black man is making history. Does everyone know this man is also half white. Did we forget that earlier this year they showed Senator Obama with his
    white grandparents who helped raise him. How can anyone let him lay
    claim or even compare him to Martin Luther King. How can the other
    African American's say history is made, a black man has finally been nominated and may possibly be the first African American to become
    president. How can Senator Obama go on living this lie and letting the
    various news agency's play on this, when eventually it will come back and bite him in the butt. Can anyone dare straighten this misinterpretation out and face the fact that this man is not playing with a full deck and he is not the making history because he is not an African American. He is a black and white mix ... I really have a problem with this. So come on people lets get it straight. I am a registered Democrat and I have always voted Democrat , but this time around I am voting Republican as I can't stand the man that is playing on the people of America by calling himself something he is not. I truly hope you print this opinion.

August 28, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  17. DK in CA

Gore was Great

Why are the Republicans so dense on this topic? Stop bowing down to Big Oil now!

Invest in American Energy, Renewable and Clean and save the economy at the same time by creating millions of new high-tech jobs!

GO OBAMA!

August 28, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  18. Marv & Jeannie Zehr

TO CNN

We are sitting in our family room watching coverage of the Democratic Convention. Why do your commentators/news people keep yakking instead of showing us the convention platform and the speakers, video, etc.????????????????????????????? I have heard enough of them and now want to watch and hear the speakers, not the news men and women! I don't call this coverage of the convention, but talking ABOUT it.

Why do we want to hear what they think of the print copy they have of Obama's upcoming speech? Give us a break!

Please learn when to talk and when just to let us listen to what we tuned in for.

Thanks you!

August 28, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. Kofi Manani

I'm not understanding why the white-American media has decided to question Obama's "ability" to govern as "commander-in-chief"! Who in this country can question the loyalty and patriotism of the African-American community? Is the prospect of a commander-in-chief, who happens to be intelligent, articulate AND African-American so unbelievable to white-America? Who in the white-America is setting about the INSANE path of QUESTIONING THE PATRIOTISM OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS? IS WHITE-AMERICA STRUGGLING WITH A BOUT OF INSANITY? MAYBE THEY'VE STOPPED TAKING THEIR MEDS?

August 28, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. Rick

Al Gore is a flatlined politician desperate to keep himself involved in politics and relevant. This whole Global Warming thing is blown out of proportion. It's all about Al. He, like 3$Bill, should sneak away into the dark and not return.

August 28, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  21. Bob Klepak from Conyers GA

John McCain just responded to Gore's comparing Obama to Lincoln by saying, "I knew Abe, Abe was a friend of mine and Barack's NO LINCOLN!"

August 28, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  22. Sara

I love Al Gore – sometimes our best thinkers can't talk so good – but look what's in the Whitehouse now – NUKULAR Dubya – can't think or talk. Do you want the next one to veto beer?

Or do you want a CONSTITUTIONAL SCHOLAR THAT IS ALSO ABLE TO SPEAK ENGLISH !!!!!!!!

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. Neel- Toronto

Global warming will wipe up Florida from the map, and also some other countries, so wake up people and think for our future generations.
    We canadians are also excited, and want BO.
    No next 4 yrs of Bush cc

August 28, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. JT from TN

Absolutely PAY ATTENTION to Al Gore. especially on climate change.

August 28, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  25. Bianca Battistini

We are also a bunch of 25, french speaking people, out here in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada....We believe in Barark Obama and we hope for the best.

August 28, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |