August 28th, 2008

Gergen: Worth reading Gore's speech again

Gore addressed the Democratic National Convention Thursday.
Gore addressed the Democratic National Convention Thursday.

Before it gets lost in the excitement at Mile High Stadium, it is worth going back and reading Al Gore's speech tonight. While his delivery was way too rushed, the substance of his speech was something that the country needs to think and talk about a lot more: a possible catastrophe building up around us.

Watch Gore's entire speech

Gore has been trying to tell the U.S. and the world for some time now about the dangers of global warming, and to his credit, he has been honored with both an Academy Award and a Nobel Prize for his efforts. But neither of the candidates - nor have the parties - spent enough time talking about what is ahead and what we must do. Every expert I know thinks it will require sacrifice on our part - higher prices for using fossil fuels. When will the candidates level with us on what is required?

Some of you, I am sure, disagree with Al Gore and perhaps you don't even like him, but I must say that from my perspective, we need to pay attention to what he is saying.

1. Kevin

If Gore won Tennessee adn Arkansas then Florida wouldn't have mattered. I know this is a hard concept to grasp but he couldn't win Clinton's state and his own home state. He lost plain and simple and I am glad for that. He lost according to rules that have been in existence in our country since the beginning. Get over 2000 and move beyond Al, the clumsy wizard behind the curtain. The Democrats are the party for the terminally naive and ignorant. Ted Kennedy is no better than Strom Thurmond but he is a hero to the Democrats. Nothing worse than elitists pretending to care.

August 28, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. Robert

Gore is a tool! Go away!

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. Carol

I would like a transcript to read again. Where do I get it?

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. ANNE ROGERS

My hope is that all Americans can put politics aside and wake up,believe and begin to do all we can and more to stop global warming. I write as an older American who is awake and doing all that I can including alot of talking. If I had the power, Al Gore's film would be shown in every school in America.

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  5. Sam

Gore is as big a phony as they come. He's a compulsive self centered liar who has no scientific knowledge and uses global warming to enrich himself and his venture capital friends.

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  6. Bryan

Gore was and still is a wuss who would have done nothing after 9/11. It scares me to think what Gore would have done in that situation. When the world was after us, we have stayed safe while the rest of the world have been hit with terrorist attacks. I am sure the Bush government had nothing to do with that.

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. Sherry, Atlanta

A VERY GOOD SPEECH!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  8. Robert Wooller from Bradford England, UK

Al Gore's speech as a absolutely brilliant but I didn't expect anything else from such a great man. As for all this I am reading about Conservatives not being happy with Obama's convention facility, well, they wouldn't be. What else are they going to say? Can't they just show a bit of dignity and be happy for a man so deserving of our support? Surely after 43 white presidents it is time for a black president.

Obama 08!!!

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. Mitchell

Mr. Gergen, I have an important question for you: Neither party will discuss our enormous national debt. This is understandable as they collectively created it. My question is, why does the press refuse to press them on it? It seems that this is among the most important issues that faces the country; it's the 800 pound gorilla in the room – and yet no one talks about it!

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. Bianca Battistini

yessss..you are right and we are all behind you, from quebec, Canada

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. No Hillary = No Obama

Here's a word we don't hear often from Mr. Gergen when he talks about Obama's oratory "substance". Gore has it; Hillary has it – Obama doesn't. When all the confetti gets swept away, we are still left with a rock star, not a President.

August 28, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  12. Fred

Shame on you Al Gore, for misleading American by letting this get out of hand. Senator Obama, is also a white man, and can't lay claim that he is the first African American to be nominated to run for President of the Democratic Party. He has a white mother. I would thank all because he
    picked up his fathers pigmentation doesn't make him African American.
    He is just a man that was nominated and history was not made.
    So please Mr. Save the Earth Al Gore, set the record straight. My God
    didn't they show this mans white grandparents on the news at the
    beginning of the year. Didn't his grandparents have alot to do with
    his upbringing? Change what ? First we have to let people know that
    a lie has been made and correct this lie. I am a registered Democrat and I am not voting for a man who can't admit who he really is.

August 28, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  13. Brent

Couldn't agree more Mr. Gergen. I thought there was a lot of deep substance and excellent framing of the past 8 years and the consequences of the election of GWB. I also immediately picked up the recurring Lincoln theme. I believe if I have read correctly that he is Obama's favorite president. Not sure on that but I know I have heard him talk of him before.

August 28, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  14. Gerry Wyche

hello

love your coverage.
    but you missed a speacial moment when the
    regular citizens spoke.
    i heard them on cspan
    they had some of the best and sweetest speeches all week.
    maybe you can show them later on cnn.
    i think the rest of world would love to see it.

thanks
    voter from FLA

August 28, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. Upon Further Review,Texas

If Obama does not win because of the electorial college and there is an overwhelming popular vote for him,there wont be an electorial college ever again.Yes we can.

August 28, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  16. maria

Gore is many things...but NOT a great speaker.

He bore me and reminded me why we lost that election.

August 28, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. Sue

Talking about sacrifices and global catastrophe is not the sure-fire way to get elected.
    When Bill Clinton ran he focused on change and hope. When he got into office he told us, first, the pain. We fix the economic disaster. And fix it he did. (thanks Bill).
    If Bill Clinton ran his campaign by saying we have to feel pain to fix the economy – he would have never won.
    And so, Obama cannot say we need to prevent global climate catastrophe and to do so will cause us pain. He may feel that way, but he can't run on that sentiment. Not in this society.

August 28, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  18. Dave

Be it from natural or man-made causes, it's possible we might have global warming. But coming from Gore, his statements have no merit. He's the one who had electricity bills that were 20 times more than the American average and remember just a few weeks ago he had his limos idling for 30 plus minutes so his family had a comfortable car when he was done speaking. Also, he jet-sets all over the world to tell people not to use fossil fuels. How much fuel does his jet take just so he can tell people "Don't use fossil fuel!".

What a phony.

August 28, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  19. Wow

Gordo, Jimmy Carters energy policies from his term where to be in effect by the late 1990's. They did nothing. Just like democrats. I bet Obama gives a great speech tonight and in the end everyone will say what a great speech that was, he should be President. By next week no one will remember what he said, but boy it was a good speech.

August 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  20. no one to vote for

Sorry Gore that you had to speak about the ecology in a Las VEgas set of hubris and gaudiness. How are you going to recycle that? I apologize to you for all those who don't understand why.

August 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  21. cmoore

There is no evidence that global warming is man made,,,none period. Now, it is very nice when you can spread dis- information and get rich off of it in the process , while , at the same time trading citizen's liberties for socialist govermental controls. This is the goal of militant environmental wack jobs like Gore.

August 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  22. Independant Thinker

Gore is irrelevant

August 28, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  23. Independent Dave

Unfortunately, there are too many obstacles to overcome to solve this crisis. Poverty, economics, denial and ignorance WILL seal our fate.

Those of us that are willing should try though, and we, along with Mr. Gore, will have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so!"

Thank you Mr. Gore.

August 28, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Al Gore is a champion, and a man with vision. 50 years from now we will ask ourselves why we didn't recognize the greatest challenge of the day when it was staring us in the face, when it was being called out by the scientists. We will look back at how science has been discredited - it could get us to the moon and split the atom, but oh, convince us of the biological necessity of curbing our carbon reliance? - and revile that generation that was us. But we are not so dumb. More than half of us gave Gore our trust and voted for him in 2000. Since then, only republican smear has held their tenacious grip on power, despite crippling ineptitude, intact. It is not a revolution we need, but a counter-revolution to a republican coup d'etat and a return to reason and competence in government. OBAMA08

August 28, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  25. RealityKing

Gore the Bore. I can't believe Obama even let this fraud speak. 17 inconvienent lies, according to Bristish courts, over shadow any prizes the liberals could give him. And his 8 yrs in the House, 8 yrs in the Senate and 8 yrs as VP, much like Biden's service, IS why we are so far in debt!! Embrace Change??

August 28, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |