August 28th, 2008

Huckabee: I won’t be McCain’s V.P.

Mike Huckabee said Thursday he is not McCain's vice presidential pick.
Mike Huckabee said Thursday he is not McCain's vice presidential pick.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee told supporters Thursday he would not be John McCain’s running mate, and emphasized that he was never vetted by McCain’s presidential campaign.

"I have never been contacted by the McCain campaign at any point about the VP slot," Huckabee wrote in the statement posted on his political action committee’s Web site. "I have never been asked for any information, background, etc., so as I have said repeatedly in interviews, I didn’t consider myself to be under any consideration."

"I think people thought I was being coy and just not talking, but I have built my political life on trying to shoot straight and tell it as it is and as I see it," he added. “I have been honest in telling you that I had no reason to believe I was ever seriously considered or “vetted” for the ticket."

Huckabee, whose surprising win in the Iowa caucuses, helped derail rival Mitt Romney's presidential bid. His position on issues such as same sex marriage and abortion made him a favorite of social conservatives. Huckabee told supporters he, too, “will await news of who Senator McCain selects.”

“I hope it will be a person with a solid record and solid convictions on the foundation issues that bring many of us to the process,” Huckabee wrote. “I’m taking this unusual step to communicate so it will come from me and not from some of the ridiculous things being said on TV and websites tonight.”

McCain is set to appear with his vice presidential pick in Ohio on Friday.

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Paul Tubiana

If it's not Huckabee for VP, then I have no reason to support a Republican ticket this election. Mike Huckabee represents the America I believe in, no other candidate has earned my vote!

August 29, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  2. Jake Utah

I certainly wish Huckabee would have been on McCain's ticket. As a lifelong Republican who has never voted for anyone on the national ticket except a Republican, and am totally committed to Obama Biden 08, I would love that my vote for Obama would count in Utah. I think there is a real chance that Arizona and Utah may be the only states that McCain carries. With Huckabee, obviously he would have no chance to carry Utah.

August 29, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  3. David, Santa Rosa, CA

This headline reads as though Huckabee didn't want to be his VP. I wonder how many turned down the offer of being VP? I wonder who (other than McCain) has sold thier soul?

August 29, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  4. Colleen Klug

I feel the faint stirrings of hope...we need Obama, Biden, Clinton(s), and everyone to keep the momentum going..and take back our country from the pillagers who have controlled it's future for too long...
    go-bama!

August 29, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  5. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

They should use Romney's soundbites against McCain whether he chooses him or not.

2 can play that game.

Maybe we can use Huckabees too!

August 29, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  6. Ryan

I'd like to see a McCain-Ridge ticket. That'd certainly shake up the electoral map a bit..............

August 29, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  7. David from Berkeley, CA

Huckabee would have been a bad fit, anyhow.

Romney or Pawlenty is the likely choice. Romney seems to have the greater name recognition and the conservative cred. Problem is, the many evangelicals (read: Southerners) don't trust Mormons.

The problem with Pawlenty is that he's relatively unkown outside of Minnesota and educating the electorate on Pawlenty would sap valuable resources that McCain can ill afford.

As long as the "social conservative" base insists on an abortion litmus test, Ridge and Lieberman are untouchable.

Whoever, John McCain picks for his VP, he's got a tough road to hoe coming out of Minneapolis.

August 29, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  8. mississippi

whoever hacked in my computer and typed the last 3 comments needs to observe one's privacy!!!

August 29, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  9. JP

Here's the thing. McCain ran in 2000. Did he try again in 2004? Maybe before 2000?

If the American people didn't think he was good enough then (and that Bush was better!), why didn't they elect him then? Is he like fine wine? Does he get better with age?

August 29, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  10. Dr John

Michelle, grow up and go feed your elephant! Eight years of Bush/Cheney Hell on earth. Bush and Cheney did nothing about abortion, lots of washington talk but no action. You and millions like you bought into Bush's lies and deceipt in 2000 and 2004 and you are still spouting the GOP talking points. Take that log out of your own eye before you start on the speck in mine.

Obama in a tight race, but President nonetheless.

August 29, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  11. La Raza

Let us all say AMEN!!!!

August 29, 2008 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  12. John K

It does not matter. There is no reason to elect McCain. If its Lieberman, there would be a revolt (because he's not sufficiently revolting) and if its Romney, change their name to the "Hopelessly Square And Clueless Party".

August 29, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  13. mike

who cares about mike huckabee that guy is so orthodox he cant even have sugar..boring losers and the gop

August 29, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  14. Bob in Austin, TX.

If you vote republican, you've either had your head stuck in the sand for the last eight years or it was up your ....

August 29, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  15. Nvtr1

If Huckabee's claims are correct (and I have no grounds/reasons to believe otherwise), let's see how much media attention/focus is going to be given to the fact that the "runner-up" of the republican primary (who effectively derailed the Romney campaign with his Iowa victory), was never even vetted/considered for vp!!

Can we say in advance - "Double standard?!?"

August 29, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  16. chris

GO on your knees and thank God Mr. Huckabee.

August 29, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  17. Romney 08

"I hope it will be a person with a solid record and solid convictions on the foundation issues."

"Solid Convictions?" Sounds like another Huck religious test. In other words: Anyone but that rascal Mitt the Mormon!

Pick Romney, he'll eat Biden for lunch.

August 29, 2008 03:40 am at 3:40 am |