August 28th, 2008

McCain to extend his congratulations to Obama in special ad

McCain is congratulating Obama in a campaign ad Thursday.
McCain is congratulating Obama in a campaign ad Thursday.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign has finally released the television ad it called "historic" and "exciting" earlier Thursday.

Set to air in key campaign states to coincide with Barack Obama's formal acceptance of the Democratic presidential nomination, the Arizona senator is featured looking directly into the camera to congratulate his presidential

Watch: McCain congratulates Obama in new ad

"Senator Obama, this is truly a good day for America," McCain says in the ad. "Too often the achievements of our opponents go unnoticed. So I wanted to stop and say, congratulations."

"How perfect that your nomination would come on this historic day," McCain also says in reference to the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 'I Have a Dream' speech. "Tomorrow, we'll be back at it. But tonight Senator, job well done."

The upbeat ad is a marked departure from the slew of negative commercials the McCain campaign has released all week as it aims to divert media attention away from the Democratic National Convention.

Those ads have directly questioned Obama's readiness to be president, and most feature past criticisms from his chief primary opponent, Hillary Clinton - prompting the New York senator to directly distance her self from them earlier in the week. But Evan Tracey of TNS Media Intelligence/CMAG, CNN's consultant on television ad spending, reports the majority of those ads have yet to air in most battleground TV markets.

1. zach

good try mccain, but that is honestly the worst attempt at sincerity i have seen in a long time. this ad seems loaded with sarcasm and patronization.

August 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  2. NOBAMA_BIDONE 08

John McCain will be the next President of the USA.

He will be elected Because he has experience and will do the job.

Obama is just a rock star and his running mate Biden is a plagizrier.

Who would you rather have answering the 3 am phone call.

Clueless Obama or Rock solid McCain.

August 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  3. Reason

It's sad that people's blind hatred for all things Republican force them to lump McCain in with Bush/Cheney's disaster. Yeah, the country needs change, the the repubs know it. That's why they've finally given McCain the nod.

He has been lambasted in his presedential runs in 96 and 2000 by his own party, because he was too liberal for their tastes. He has always been an honorable man during his career in public service. He stood by his convictions even when it caused him grief within his own party. Nobody's perfect, but he definitely doesn't deserve the ire that he receives from alot of people on the liberal side of the fence.

August 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  4. paul

I agree it should not be a pat on his head but a kick in his pants.

Obama needs to be kicked a good many times from now till election night.

Yes you people that speak of how the GOp and McCain are nothing but haters but after reading a few things said from you people its the pot calling the kettle black.

August 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. Tim F. (Honolulu HI)

WOW! I can't believe all the idiots on here posting about how bad McCain is for having negative ads! I mean are you trying to tell me that Obama has not done one negative ad? If so he must be the cleanest politician ever!.... NOT! I mean look at how nasty Billary Clinton was with her ads of Obama. Now she is supporting someone just a few months ago she said would not be a suitable president.

I have still not made up my mind who I am going to vote for, but I can tell you that it was very cordial.

August 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  6. bluebird

Dear Obama supporters, the rest of the world that doesn't like your candidate is not evil, stupid, the enemy, retarded, racist, or lesbians. Please get over yourselves.

August 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. Tiffany

That is . . . uncomfortably brilliant. Well-played, McCain. Well-played.

August 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. CaNiNe SpUnCiKeS

The media has a lot to do with this mess. They have sensationalize things that are very trivial. And of course, we are just to gullible to go with it.

August 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. john

How sad that some are you are so jaded that you can't see goodwill and kindness when it's right in front of you.

I am diehard pro-McCain and I think Obama is a socialist, but given the history of how we have treated blacks in this country, if I were black, I would vote for Obama no matter his policies.

I can appreciate how historic tonight is going to be. I wouldn't vote for Obama because of it but I can absolutely appreciate it and be really, really proud of it. And especially on the 45th anniversary of the greatest speech of the 20th century.

Did anyone see Juan Williams the other night after Michelle Obama's speech? He has been pretty hard on Obama but it was as if the magnitude of the situation hit him all at once. He couldn't keep the tears out of his eyes. Seeing that drove the point home with me in a very profound way. It's hard to explain.

So, enjoy your moment Barry. We're proud of the situation. But here's hoping that Michael Steele or J.C. Watts or Herman Cain becomes the first black president in 4 or 8 years.

August 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  10. Oh Please

Oh, please. I don't believe that plastic bastard for one second...

August 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  11. Saul D- Independent

John Mccain has always been my hero and example of how members of the senate should be. I was very excited to support him at the beginning when he was authentic and independent. but since after the primaries when he hooked up with Carl Rove, Shawn Hannity, and the hateful Rush Limbaugh, he lost my whole family's respect.
    He should be ashamed for giving in to those so call conservatives and their low devisive ways of dealing with fellow americans!!!

August 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. Sara

Sen Obama is very presidential and very considerate.

Sen McCain is a little old child who stabs people in the back. Just wait and see.

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  13. Will, NJ

What was this trying to accomplish? It's nice that he's congratulating Senator Obama, but how does this work for him?

August 28, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  14. Belle2

Why do Obama fans have to be so indignant all the time. Could it be that Obama simply inspires hatred and animosity-so much for hope and change. Of course, Obama has never said what kind of change!!

August 28, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. Ralph

This happen on this day, was no coincidence. It was planed well in advance. Good luck Obama..

August 28, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  16. Peter (CA)

Reason,

I don't completely disagree with everything you say but McCain himself said he agrees with Bush policies 95% of the time. What does that say to you?

As far as the ire from the "liberals". We give as good as we get. Just check out the comments above and below yours.

August 28, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. KC

He announces a SUPRIZE? shouldent he have done this just to do the right thing?

August 28, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |