August 28th, 2008

Obama tells Dems: 'I accept your nomination'

Sen. Barack Obama formally accepted the Democratic Party's nomination Thursday night.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is laying out his plan to lead the country into an era of change after what he called eight years of failed policies.

Watch: 'I accept,' says Obama

"I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming. Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it," Obama will say, according to a copy of his speech released Thursday evening.

"Change happens because the American people demand it - because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time," he will say.

Watch: 'Eight is enough'

At the beginning of his speech, he detailed what he called the failures of the Bush administration.

Watch: Obama: 'We are better'

"America, we are better than these last eight years," he said. "This moment, this election, is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

Full story

Update: McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released this statement in response to Sen. Obama's acceptance speech: "Tonight, Americans witnessed a misleading speech that was fundamentally at odds with the meager record of Barack Obama. . . . The fact remains: Barack Obama is still not ready to be President."

1. john williams san diego, ca.

WOW–what a speech-it harkens back to that Austrian back in the'30's–he was a great orator too.

August 28, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  2. Rob indetroit

Right on, Obama
    Right On, OBama

OBAMA-BIDEN 08'

August 28, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  3. Michelle

And I accept Obama for president. Whew! Finally a change of presidents we can believe in!

August 28, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  4. soloobama08

My name is "Voter" and I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE. This election is not about Obama...it's about this country, my family and also my pocket.

August 28, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  5. Robert Wooller from Bradford England, UK

I hope he can win, oh, I hope so!!!

August 28, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  6. Tori, Oregon

YES WE CAN!!!!!

August 28, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  7. James in Ohio

Yes he can dye his hair. LOL

August 28, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  8. Michelle

John McCain is soooooo going to lose this election.

August 28, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. jonathan

American's don't want to live in a world of hate and war and fear that these scumbags that infiltrated our government has created in the past 8 years. This country and the world around it are worse than they've been for 20 years and it is because the greedy rich bastards that have taken control of the Republican party with the easiest "dangling the carrot" trick on record, by convincing their constituents how Christian they are. This is why God needs to be left out of politics; anyone can place their hand on a book, weep at an alter, knowing they'll be all that more right and powerful for it. Thanks to Rove and Chaney and the puppet Bush.

NOW THEY CAN MOVE OVER AND LET REAL PUBLIC SERVANTS TAKE THIS NATION WHERE IT BELONGS IN THE FUTURE!

August 28, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  10. sonya

boring...

August 28, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  11. Indiana Bob

PUMA

No Way
    No How
    No Bama

Vote McCain

August 28, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  12. John McCain

...and we accept you as our president.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

I'm John McCain, and I approved this message.

August 28, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. Dan J

Speech warmed up in the last 2 minutes, but it lacked energy, originality or anything compelling. Easily the weakest of the major speeches given.

August 28, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  14. Matt, PA

Someone give this guy the change he keeps talking about...like 50 cents so he can get on a bus and go away...

August 28, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  15. Hillary Your Are the Woman!!!

Details? He is still O-blah-blah-blahing.......

August 28, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  16. Democrats Unite - Obama/ Biden 08!! Whoop whoop!!! :-)

OBAMA WILL WIN!!! I AM HOPING, PRAYING, PRAYING HARDER, AND VOTING IN NOV (for the FIRST time ever!!!- and even made my family register to vote in London, UK)

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!!!!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!!!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  17. Dave from Gainesville

What an amazing speech - took it right at McCain for the ridiculous foreign policy claim, and, I think, imparted a structural change onto the dynamic of this election campaign. It's going to be very, very, VERY difficult for McCain to argue that he's better-qualified to handle foreign policy, after this speech.

August 28, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  18. US SOLDIER

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  19. Lana

Obama/Biden 08 and 12

YES WE CAN!!!!

August 28, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  20. karen

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the dye job. He can do anything–even take the gray out of his hair.

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  21. Paul

His speech was boring and all about ego!

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  22. John

Great speech, too bad someone can say so much but really in the end say nothing at all. Pure rhetoric, no policy, no plans. Hillary 12

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  23. lil

go Obama,

Our next president of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  24. hugo-philadelphia

wow... just.. wow

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  25. Susan, PA

USA, I apologize for voting for Bush.

I will do a community service by voting for Obama this time.

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |