August 28th, 2008

Obama tells Dems: 'I accept your nomination'

Sen. Barack Obama formally accepted the Democratic Party's nomination Thursday night.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is laying out his plan to lead the country into an era of change after what he called eight years of failed policies.

Watch: 'I accept,' says Obama

"I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming. Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it," Obama will say, according to a copy of his speech released Thursday evening.

"Change happens because the American people demand it - because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time," he will say.

Watch: 'Eight is enough'

At the beginning of his speech, he detailed what he called the failures of the Bush administration.

Watch: Obama: 'We are better'

"America, we are better than these last eight years," he said. "This moment, this election, is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

Full story

Update: McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released this statement in response to Sen. Obama's acceptance speech: "Tonight, Americans witnessed a misleading speech that was fundamentally at odds with the meager record of Barack Obama. . . . The fact remains: Barack Obama is still not ready to be President."

1. Dan J

OVER THE TOP

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  2. sarah

great democratic convention!

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  3. Jack Cavanaugh, Portland, Or

God speed Obama

Its our time and you will be our president

Beautiful

God speed

August 28, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

Final Jeopardy answer: What is 10%? Question: The amount of his promises that Obama can deliver on.

August 28, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  5. Reality check.

I love the thought of Obama.

I just pray he can deliver.

August 28, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  6. Kevin in Chicago, IL

At least third term abortions will be safe if Obama is elected.

August 28, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. hrcsupporter

where was HRC?

August 28, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  8. John from LA

Once again he delivered......A MOTIVALTIONAL SPEECH that is!!!-this is so pathetic-and ALL the newspapers and newscasts will say this speech will go down in history as one of the BEST Pol. speeches of the 21st Cen-Yawn!

Dems are going to go down-due to this arrogant motivational speaker-that's all he is!!!

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  9. Deb

For the very first time in my life I will give to the Democratic Campaign – I have not felt this energized for years! This is what our country has been wanting and needing for 8 long years! Long Live Obama!

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  10. Boston For OBAMA

His acceptance speech was awesome. I am in tears OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  11. A woman for McCain

They should have taken all that money that they used on fireworks and streamers and used it for something good! What a waste of money! There you go again Obama... spend ... spend...spend!

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. Antione

obama has big ideas mccain likes to bicker over small meaningless topics like the size of the set and how popular someone is...isnt he suppose to be the wiser of the two?

Pretty clear who the choice should be for president.

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  13. Redbug-OHIO FOR OBAMA

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT JOB.

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  14. Wendy Thayer

IM SO PROUND TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!! GO GO GO OBAMA!!!! YOU ARE LOVED ITS ABOUT TIME SOME ONE SAID THAT THE GOVERNMENT IS HERE TO WORK FOR US NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND !!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  15. Susan, PA

to be frank, A VERY EYE OPENING SPEECH.

Lets make America. the nation it should be. A nation free of hatred, a nation of progress, a nation for the people........

August 28, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  16. mary

Ha, ha, ha! Dream on...Obama is toast.

August 28, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  17. aware

Obama is the candidate of Chicago patronage politics! He obfuscates, prevaricates and equivocates with a spirit of hubris, arrogance and narcissism that is beyond belief!

Obama is Bush 2 Ultra! He wants to be "the decider" who will push his elitist far left-wing ideology on a moderate American people! :(

"No way, no how, no chance, no" Obama!

McCain is the candidate of authentic change we can really believe in! He has worked across the aisle and fought for issues that were not popular with his party or president but were good for the American people! :)

August 28, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  18. sarb

where was the meat. Good delivery what is new i have heard the same things for over a hundred times,

August 28, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  19. PUMA-Darragh

Everyone stand together!! We can do this!! :) :) :)

ITS ABOUT US!! JUst like he says!! WHOOHOOOJOO!!!!!

Stop being cynical!! Republicans AND Democrats! You are my brothers and my sisters!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!!!

August 28, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  20. no substance

There was nothing new in this speech, not even the lies he told about John McCain. I really hope he's not our next President – please win John McCain.

MCCAIN 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 – 2016

August 28, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  21. Dave

I was really disappointed by that speech. It lack substance and came out sounding angry. I don't like McCain and am willing to crossover, but I am not hearing anything appealing.

How is he going to pay for all these government programs he is promising?

August 28, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  22. New Day

EXCEPTIONAL! C'mon McCain, top that!

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  23. Cartman

I wonder if the 5% of middle income Americans that are facing tax increases under Obama know who they are.

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  24. Jamal

If there are any doubters about Barack I hope this truly showed how intelligent and bright a shining star this man is. I am a black man but who cares I support this man cause he understands that no one people can prosper for this country to do well. We ALL must prosper for each other to do well. Thank you Barack!

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  25. Kevin

JUST PLAIN AWESOME !!! I was a Clinton fan....I only vote democratic, but HE DEFINTELY HAS MY VOTE !! No Second thoughts

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |