August 28th, 2008

Obama tells Dems: 'I accept your nomination'

Sen. Barack Obama formally accepted the Democratic Party's nomination Thursday night.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is laying out his plan to lead the country into an era of change after what he called eight years of failed policies.

Watch: 'I accept,' says Obama

"I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming. Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it," Obama will say, according to a copy of his speech released Thursday evening.

"Change happens because the American people demand it - because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time," he will say.

Watch: 'Eight is enough'

At the beginning of his speech, he detailed what he called the failures of the Bush administration.

Watch: Obama: 'We are better'

"America, we are better than these last eight years," he said. "This moment, this election, is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

Full story

Update: McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released this statement in response to Sen. Obama's acceptance speech: "Tonight, Americans witnessed a misleading speech that was fundamentally at odds with the meager record of Barack Obama. . . . The fact remains: Barack Obama is still not ready to be President."

1. Evil Boo

honestly not his strongest speech in my view. I felt strucure was upside down. Wouldve been better to tie to MLK upfront. I thought first 2/3 way too tactical. Understand effort to re-but critics but I thought he sacrificed overall power of the speech.

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  2. Jeffery Long

Bill Clintons speech was better.

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  3. James

How could you not vote for him! He's the best. Pumas he is our canidate and the next president of the united states of America

August 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  4. Democrats Unite - Obama/ Biden 08!! Whoop whoop!!! :-)

My comment is STILL awaiting moderation.- CNN pls post!! Do you have something against me???lol.

OBAMA WILL WIN!!! I AM HOPING, PRAYING, PRAYING HARDER, AND VOTING IN NOV (for the FIRST time ever!!!— and even made my family register to vote in London, UK)

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!!!!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!!!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  5. one nation under god!!!!

Obama could fart on stage and you minless liberal fascists would call it a great speech.good god your pothetic

August 28, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  6. It's The Ronald

Outstanding! Ladies and Gentlemen, the next President of the United States of America…

August 28, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  7. Cutting + Nose = Spiting Face

Wow, Indiana Bob, what a detailed and non-reactionary reason for being a Democrat who would cross party lines and vote for McCain, a candidate who shares almost ZERO beliefs with you.

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  8. Willy

He said the same old stuff for the last 19 months but now on National TV. Obama has no experence.

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. Angelo

Speeches won’t fix anything. We need actions not promises. Yes, he has expose the problems of America. We get it, now what ? He failed to layout again his plan. It’s clear that he doesn’t know what to do. I am looking for a debate with John McCain.

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. tom

This is it I am so proud to be an American rite now this is history in the making and i saw it with my own two eyes

Good luck Obama and God bless and keep you

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  11. Ohio for Obama

Ha ha... Obama totally called McCain out. Bring it, Gramps!

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  12. US SOLDIER

If I had to deal with ignorant repukblicans I would need to dye my hair also.

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  13. Sara

Just think – A CONSTITUTIONAL SCHOLAR !! An intelligent, caring man. A thinker.

Not 894 our of 899 at Naval Academy!!!

Knows how to say Nuclear – (not nukular).

CONSTITUTIONAL SCHOLAR OVER THE OAF AND OAF jr.

Obama/Biden '08

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  14. Republican for Obama

ENOUGH!

Obama-Biden 2008

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  15. Tired

One word: Awesome!!!

August 28, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  16. No Way, No How, No George McCain!

NO WAR

NO TAX BREAKS FOR BIG OIL

NO TAX BREAKS FOR THE RICH

YES TAX BREAKS FOR 95% OF AMERICA (THE WORKING PEOPLE)

YES CLEAN ENEGRY

YES EQUAL PAY FOR ALL

THIS SI WHAT CHANGE MEANS
    OBAMA-BIDEN 08!!!

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  17. What's with the movie soundtrack?

Little sappy.

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  18. Dave

Nice flag pin, Obama (to mention something noted by another poster).

I thought you said you weren't going to wear that pin because you were going to show us that you were patriotic through your actions not such trivial "symbolism"?

yeah, you're not into symbolism at all. . . . .

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  19. Michelle Cabral

Smooth going. Kudos to Obama–a brilliant speech. Can't wait for voting day!

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  20. ANN

Awesome! I was moved,very well done! He has my vote!

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  21. Melissa

He brought tears to my eyes. How can anyone listen to his speech and not be moved?

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  22. Kevin - Jonesboro, GA

How can people still say that he has not provided details?!?! Were they actually listening to the speech or busy trying to look for something to hate on? What aree the details McCain has provided....he tries to give 50 reasons NOT to vote for Barack all the while sidestepping the fact that he does not provide any reason to vote for himself.

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  23. Tired

Obama inspires me to be a better person.

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  24. Peter of Oregon

Wow...

August 28, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  25. Our President is poised for the White House.

An outstanding evening under the Denver skies. We bear witness to an entire nation enthralled in a spiritual journey that has lead them to one united truth: We Want Change and yes, President Obama IS Change. Change we can believe in.

YES WE CAN.