August 28th, 2008

Obama tells Dems: 'I accept your nomination'

Sen. Barack Obama formally accepted the Democratic Party's nomination Thursday night.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is laying out his plan to lead the country into an era of change after what he called eight years of failed policies.

Watch: 'I accept,' says Obama

"I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming. Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it," Obama will say, according to a copy of his speech released Thursday evening.

"Change happens because the American people demand it - because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time," he will say.

Watch: 'Eight is enough'

At the beginning of his speech, he detailed what he called the failures of the Bush administration.

Watch: Obama: 'We are better'

"America, we are better than these last eight years," he said. "This moment, this election, is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

Full story

Update: McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released this statement in response to Sen. Obama's acceptance speech: "Tonight, Americans witnessed a misleading speech that was fundamentally at odds with the meager record of Barack Obama. . . . The fact remains: Barack Obama is still not ready to be President."

1. Please, No Obama

yes he can. he can spend foolishly and promise everything to everyone while cutting taxes, raising wages, handing out free health care and solving the world's ills.And on day 7, he shall rest.

GIVE US ALL A BREAK,DUDE.

McCain '08

Clinton '12

August 28, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  2. Michael

Oh, blah-ha-ma!

August 28, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  3. crissy

wow

August 28, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  4. Scott L

How many homeless people will not eat in Denver tonight? Chicago? NY? Yet the Democrats as always have no idea how to manage an economy...

August 28, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  5. Michigan Voter

So Obama harkens back to Hitler? That's as absurd as Republicans backing a guy they discarded 8 years ago in favor of the worst President in modern history.

Obama/Biden/Dems '08

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  6. Obama Mama

Better than I anticipated. Can we make Obama president for 12 years!

Love you future President Obama!!

A change we can believe in.

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  7. NG in DC

Hillary's speech was better.

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  8. Katrina

This speech was nothing but a balloon full of air.
    He is going to change everything , reduce taxes and yet introduce more spending.
    Obama must think that he is able to fool us with his fancy speeches but people are hopefully smart enough to see him as the phoney he is.

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  9. Politically Speaking

LMAO @ the Hillary Haters....

Barack knocked it out the park, over the parking lot and thru one of the front windows of one of McCain's many houses.

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  10. THE REPUBLICAN PARTY ARE AGENTS FROM HELL

THANK YOU DEAR GOD FOR THIS DAY AND FOR YOUR GIFT OF BARACK OBAMA AND ALL THOSE WORKING HARD ALONG WITH HIM TO RENEW AND RESTORE THIS GREAT NATION THAT YOU HAVE BLESSED SINCE IT'S BIRTH. MAY YOU CONTINUE TO REWARD US AS WE SEEK TO SERVE YOU AS OUR GOD.

AMEN

AMERICA,
    WE GOT WORK TO DO TOGETHER, IT AIN'T OVER, BUT RESTORATION IS JUST BEGINNING!

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. 911wille

Did you see the stage? Looked like a Greek Temple In the guise of a Joseph Goebbels' Nuremburg Party Rally from 1936.

But I like millions held tight to my TV set and mindlessly chanted "Yes We Can" and marveled with awe at the splendor of the ObamAdonis

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  12. debkansas

Boy was that an effort for him to put any kind of excitment into this speech. I wonder if he even believed he can do what he is saying. One thing about it when Hillary speaks you listen. I just have a hard time believing these guys. Talk, talk, can they walk the talk????

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  13. Earl

Lost opportunity. Where was the mention of MLK?

August 28, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. Ann

OB 08!

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  15. Spectator

I am a Canadian watching as a spectator. I can't vote but will be affected no matter what. Obama has given a wonderful speech and what a great leader he would be. I truly hope Americans will have the guts to vote for him.

I would be an honour to be the small neigbourgh of country with such a wonderful leader.

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  16. Former McCain Supporter

After that I know who IM voting for. What about you?????????????????????????????????????????

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  17. Former Republican turned OBAMAcan.

Finally, residents in the City of Fresno, CA can finally celebrate the Fourth of July on Independence Day because we'll finally have an administration we can believe in.

God Bless America.

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  18. TheLeftNut

PLEASE TAKE OFF THE FIRST COMMENT-REFERING TO HITLER IS WAY OFF BASE!

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  19. Sherry, Atlanta

YES, AMERICA IS BETTER. . .THAN WHAT THE REPUBLICAN'S HAVE PRACTICED!

PRESIDENT OBAMA WILL BRING AMERICA BACK TO THE PEOPLE!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  20. MCAINNOW!

This was a racism speech. Odumba hates America. Don't be fooled by FAKE colums. Can't wait to see the dems lose. This is stupid no one is listning.

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  21. Dr. J

That was a great speech. I wonder what the Republicans are going to do? I wonder if John McMcain will have hose crowds. Obama will win.

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  22. Joan Harrington

I suppose no one will really hear me in this note. But it helps to get it out. Obama's speech was great! History was made! But when the closing prayer came along all the news channels ignored it. I wonder if God might decide to ignore us, too.

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  23. Filled With Hope

I have tears of joy and tears of HOPE! Finally! I can believe again.

August 28, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  24. PM. Missouri

I think the democratic convention has been chaotic. Alot of mumbling about change...mlk...civil rights...anti war songs...seemed to be themed "the 1960s"..I think this country has past that era many years ago. I think whoever is elected for president will focus and redirect issues to change things for the better ... and we certainly do not need a campaign based on the word "Change" to understand this. It all seemed a bit ridicuIous. I believe the people of America should tune in to McCain Monday as well...he has some very good points.

August 28, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  25. Martin

Even the paid Republican operatives commenting on this story can't stop this...the tired critiques aren't going to work anymore.

August 28, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |