August 28th, 2008

Obama tells Dems: 'I accept your nomination'

Sen. Barack Obama formally accepted the Democratic Party's nomination Thursday night.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is laying out his plan to lead the country into an era of change after what he called eight years of failed policies.

Watch: 'I accept,' says Obama

"I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming. Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it," Obama will say, according to a copy of his speech released Thursday evening.

"Change happens because the American people demand it - because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time," he will say.

Watch: 'Eight is enough'

At the beginning of his speech, he detailed what he called the failures of the Bush administration.

Watch: Obama: 'We are better'

"America, we are better than these last eight years," he said. "This moment, this election, is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

Full story

Update: McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released this statement in response to Sen. Obama's acceptance speech: "Tonight, Americans witnessed a misleading speech that was fundamentally at odds with the meager record of Barack Obama. . . . The fact remains: Barack Obama is still not ready to be President."

1. Missie

Home Run? He hit that so far out of the park that it's still traveling around the globe and when it finally hits McCain on the side of the head I hope he's wearing a helmet.

2. AD

Wow!! Just Wow!! Im at a loss for words, the speech was just that good.

Anyone not inspired by the speech should check their pulse.

Obama/Biden 08

3. Tim

Great speech...love the way Obama directly challenged McCain.

When the GOP holds its convention, McCain is going to come across as an old, boring, stale grandpa in comparison.

4. Denise

slam!!!!
    BAM!!!!!!
    SLAM!!!!! BAM!!!!! "he says he will chase bin laden to the gates of hell, but won't go to the cave were he lives!!!!"

WHAM!!! BAM!!!! SLAM!!!! We're back in the WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Tonya

I register 100 new voters today, make sure you get more people to vote you have until October look for your state end dates let's get a Democrat in the White House (Obama/Biden)

6. arlene, CA

AWESOME!!! Just Perfect. Barack Obama / Joe Biden Change We Can Believe In.

7. Happy in Oregon

I wish we could vote now and let Obama get on with fixing the things that are wrong in this country.

My husband lost his job a month ago and we now have no medical coverage. I do not fear the future. I'm looking forward to voting and making the change we need so badly in this country. I fear my husband or I getting sick now and having to pay a hospital or a doctor out of pocket.

May the next 60 or so days go quickly so that we can move on to the change we so badly need.

8. timber (ex dem)

He talks and talks but no specifics! Talk is cheap. He is a used car salesman. The people looking at him like he was a God or a rock star or something forget the dirty politics in Chicago where he won the election only by having all his opponents taken off the ballot?!! He is a crook and these people are hanging on his every word., I feel sorry for them.

9. Peter Johnson-Johnson

Go Obama! All the petty criticism (and this stupid PUMA nonsense) is coming from the far-right loonies who know that the ride is almost over for them.

And don't worry about Hillary; she's going to get the Cabinet post of her choice, which is better than being VP anyway.

10. forobama

Wasn't the next future president awesome tonight! He did an excellent job. I am so proud!

11. stopgooglingoverme

Terrific Speech! Outstanding.

12. Ibrahim from col-OH

I thought I will never see or witness such a great moment after watching the 2008 Beijing Olympics opener, but Barack Obamas acceptance speech is truly the event of the century...

13. Scott L

Does Barney and the rest of the Democrat party understand that BILL CLINTON SIGNED NAFTA INTO LAW?????

Do you people even know what your party is all about??? Doesn't sound like it...

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  14. Outta the Park the Ball Goes!

Senator Obama's speech was unbelievable! A speech to reconcile the past and the future. I am an African American woman who thought I would never see this day. I have tried to live my life not as an African American, or a Black American, but a kind, hardworking and commpasionate American. Listening to the Senator's speech re-vitalizes the belief I have in this nation. Neieve, maybe so, but I'll take it.

God Bless, everyone!

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  15. Susan Wegmann

I loved his speech. He was right on target and I am proud. I didn't like CNN running the Hillary Clinton crawler at the botton at the end, talking about her accomplishments. She is not the candidate!

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  16. sarb

Great oratory truly. I can undestand how HE cons joe blows but guys like John King Anderson Cooper Wolf Fletzer how do you let him pretend America is broken and banged up that it needs the messiah but then in the same breath say that everything is OK. America gave him his chance but the guys who gave it were stupid . Like whats he really saying other than being everything to everyone like any other preacher.

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  17. Marc

Dems are history....again. Hillary will wake up on Nov 5th and say...I told YOU so!

Go McCain from a Hillary McCain supporter.

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  18. monica

Great speech!! I am so moved, this man is going to make a great president!!!
    How in the world can anyone out there justify how they could vote for mcbush, and the pumas, It is so comical now that this man the future president has given a great speech, no stones left unturned and took it to mcbush, now your attacks just lack substance.....grow up and look at the big picture people, just like he said this election is not about him it's about the future of this country and where you want it to go!!

Obama/Biden '08/'12

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  19. Florida Daryl

@aware- really McCain is Bush's twin!!! on so many levels.

America we do not have to be scared anymore!!! The last thing we should be scared of is McCains continuance of Bushes 3 term.... the equivalent of 12 (TWELVE) American Years!

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  20. douglas

Jonathan- Do you mean like Barack Hussein Obama praying at the Western Wall? I think Dems also use religion as a means of convincing american idiots of their "faith". Be honest Jonathan.

August 28, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  21. axt113

Probably his best speech ever, its funny seeing the McCain trolls try and spin the damage control, but this was a great speech and laid out his plans in a strong way, that +6 in the Gallup today will be +15 by the weekend

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  22. Masterpiece!

It's hard to believe that some people would focus on the color of Barack's hair after hearing such a brilliant, memorable, and motivating speech. I'm sorry, some people are such idiots; they deserve Bush and McCain.
    Barack & Biden 08, 12, 16

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  23. east mountain

Finally we have a politician who can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The struggles of the 60's and President Clinton were not on deaf ears. Long live America and may she be strong again.

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  24. Joe Reg

Unmatched, unprecedented and unparallel. A direct challenge to you McCain?

Obama/Biden 08/12.