August 28th, 2008

Obama tells Dems: 'I accept your nomination'

Sen. Barack Obama formally accepted the Democratic Party's nomination Thursday night.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) – Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is laying out his plan to lead the country into an era of change after what he called eight years of failed policies.

Watch: 'I accept,' says Obama

"I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming. Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it," Obama will say, according to a copy of his speech released Thursday evening.

"Change happens because the American people demand it - because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time," he will say.

Watch: 'Eight is enough'

At the beginning of his speech, he detailed what he called the failures of the Bush administration.

Watch: Obama: 'We are better'

"America, we are better than these last eight years," he said. "This moment, this election, is our chance to keep, in the 21st century, the American promise alive."

Full story

Update: McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released this statement in response to Sen. Obama's acceptance speech: "Tonight, Americans witnessed a misleading speech that was fundamentally at odds with the meager record of Barack Obama. . . . The fact remains: Barack Obama is still not ready to be President."

1. Steve - southern Illinois

Another slam dunk from Barack!

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. nobush3rd

wow. it was a masterpiece.

I laughed. I cried. I shared. It was a masterpiece.

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  3. RealityKing

A lost opprotunity. Obama gave the same old liberal speech! I wait up to hear the same thing I've been hearing for 20 years!! Just watch McCain close the deal early next week..

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. John B. From New Hampshire

that was single handedly the greatest speech i have ever seen in my life!!!

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  5. Oludemilade

You cannot say he is an empty suit when he proposed 29 policy. I don't know how anyone can deny that we need change. I am open to anyone, but Obama has to be the way to go. I don't know if the option is up to snuff. McCain intentionally tried to provoke Russia. I do not believe we are ready for another war especially with RUssia. I am proud to be an American. A citizen of the world, and a man who saw reason so clearly now

August 28, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  6. Denise in SC

That speech was just what I wanted to here. I look forward to voting for Obama/Biden. I cant handle 4 more years of Bush policy and neither can my daughters. I look forward to the day they can work in this so called mans world and be seen as equal. I need to raise my girls and with Obama in office i will be able to do that without falling deeper into the hole that Bush and cronnies have created for us. Thank God for Dems.

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  7. Rick FL

Amazing address of strength and direction for this country!

Eight is enough!

No way, no how, no McCain!

Obama / Biden '08

i Si se puede !

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  8. A CANUCK

What an amazing speech........what an amazing man...........what an amazing President he will be........you Americans are to be envied.

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  9. Call it down the middle

GAME OVER! OBAMA WINS! McCain I am afraid this is a unstoppable movement, and I sincerly hope that McCain will be part of Obama's congress and that they all work together so we can restore our nation. McCain I got love for you, you served your country proudly, and you are a great american, you are just in a old mindset of outdated policies. NOBODY CAN DENY HIS service of the past, but Obama is exactly what we need to move this country into the future.

We need chage, and change is not possible under McCain and his supporters who are the upper one percent. many of whom are not sure how many homes they own. Hillary folks welcome. This was a tough race, but if Hillary and Obama can forgive and forget in order to move this nation forward, I think we should to. Hillary is also a institution in Washington, and she will continue to be a great senator and great american. She is inspiring to all of us to chase our dreams.

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  10. Carol from Pennsylvania

I think Biden's acceptance speech was more powerful!

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  11. Tom in VA

Okay, there are three types of people on this board: (1) Die-hard Obama supports, (2) Die-hard McCain supporters, and (3) The unsure. #1 and #2 will only hear what they want to hear, so their comments should be roundly ignored. Only the comments from #3 matter. As a #3 myself, my comment, therefore, matters. I want my give my children a better life in the same way my parents gave me, and their parents gave them. This country is going in the wrong direction and right now, they will be worse off than I am. Only Obama can change this. McCain has been a great public servant, but he is lost in the past, and he is beholden to a party that does not care about sacrifice, you and me, or anything else besides what the market can do for them. I thought it was a great speech, I am convinced, and I am squarely in Virginia's Obama column.

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  12. Karen

GREAT JOB!!!!! I will no longer support PUMA. Great job, Obama! We certainly picked the right person for the job!

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  13. ADM

To: Matt, PA

If you hate Obama so much, why are you on the blog saying nasty things about him every chance you get? I think deep down that you really do like him, possibly obsessed with him. I know if I did not like someone I would not waste one minute of my time typing something about him. I do not like John McCain and I don't entertain him. I don't look at his speeches, and if he is on tv I turn the channel because I don't want to be bothered with him. Most of all, I don't write nasty comments about him on the blogs. Why don't you try these techniques to help you get over your obsession with Obama....because you look foolish.

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  14. Alex E.

No we cant go back America....no we cant go back.... YES WE CAN...

August 28, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  15. Ricky

Even if you dont like him you have to respect what kind of an he is, McCain only wish he could get 85,000 americans in one place, this is what america is all about, No one can deny that he is the man who will lead our nation to a better place. America is tired of old hatefull and negative politics...I vote for GOP last time...I will not be fooled again!!!

August 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  16. Spencer in Cali

Best night at a convention I have ever seen.

Presidential Baby!!

OBAMA!!

August 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  17. SALLY

HAVEING A VP THATS BEEN IN WASHINGTON FOR YEARS AND YEARS IS NOT A CHANGE IN WASHINGTON BUT THE SAME OLD POLITICS. oNLY SAYING WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY TO GET ELECTED IS THE SAME OLD POLITICS. NOT CHANGE.

August 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  18. Obama = genius

Eight years will not be enough! That speech was a masterpiece. The best ever!

Obama 08 and 12

August 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  19. NO SIDEKICK MCCAIN

This was genious............................OBAMA IS MY MAN FOR THE WHITEHOUSE.

August 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  20. PM. Missouri

I think the democratic convention has been chaotic. Alot of mumbling about change…mlk…civil rights…anti war songs…seemed to be themed "the 1960s"..I think this country has past that era many years ago. I think whoever is elected for president will focus and make changes for the better … and we certainly do not need a campaign based on the word "Change" to understand this. It all seemed a bit ridicuIous. I believe the people of America should tune in to McCain Monday as well…he has some very good points

August 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  21. chris nguyen

how different this obama compared with the one he was in the primary...well speeches but no subtances.. lots of dream n promise but no exp to lead.. . we can change by sending this obama back to chicago and vote for mc caine so we can see hillary in 2012.

August 28, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  22. Tim, Seattle

Substance, policies, contrast with McCain, toughness, flawless execution and plain talk on the issues affecting ordinary Americans.
    He gets it
    Home run

Obama/Biden 08'

August 28, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  23. Josephine

I am speechless wow

August 28, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  24. marianna

Obama sounded tired – does he still believe in it?

August 28, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  25. AD

The paid trolls are out, but they cant steal our thunder!! Wow!!! What a speech!!!! Lets change this nation!!!

Obama/Biden 08