August 28th, 2008

Scenes from the Trail: The line starts early at Invesco

ALT TEXT

The lines were long early in the day to get into Invesco Field (Mathieu Young/CNN)

Denver (CNN) - Charlie Dominguez is spending his 47th birthday standing in line at Invesco Field hoping he will be able to count a ticket to Sen. Barack Obama's Thursday night acceptance speech among his birthday gifts.

"It's just to be close," Dominguez said. "Everybody's electrified. I want a chance for the glimpse, ya know?"

Dominguez, who hails from traditionally-red Kansas, said he was always a registered Republican until this year when he switched his registration to Democratic.

Watch live shots of Invesco Field on CNN.com/live!

A few ticket-holders and would-be attendees arrived at Invesco Field by 9 a.m. By noon, the line for entrance included roughly a thousand people, a reporter estimated.

The campaign expects roughly 75,000 people in attendance when Obama officially accepts the Democratic presidential nomination.

1. John in CO

As a registered Republican, I look forward to anything different than what we currently have. Change is the other guy to me. I look forward to what Sen Obama has to say this evening.

August 28, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. Obama/Biden/Clinton

68 days till very exciting night when wise people will finally take this great country back on track! Obama/Biden/Clinton will defeat McCain/Romney/Lieberman by a landslide.

August 28, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. Nancy

As an outraged registered nurse, I cannot believe the stupid comment made by the Mc Cain camp that "we can go to emergency rooms for healthcare". Does this fool realize how crowded hospitals are? Have they ever been in a nursing home with 1 or 2 RN's taking care of 50 to 60 patients needs with only a few aides to help them? Have they ever had to choose between buying food and paying a doctor's bill? These Republican, out of touch Mc Cain supporters are acting like Elitists with their heads up their behinds! Godspeed Barack Obama and Joe Biden–America needs you! DEMS in '08!

August 28, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. danel

Sante: Are you better off now than 7 years ago?

August 28, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Bryan, Michigan

And McCain is having trouble giving away 10,000 tickets to the intro of his VP in Ohio.

Bush's third term is in trouble.

August 28, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. Sandy

OBAMA WILL NOT LOSE...NEVER! I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND MCCAIN.

August 28, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. Ledia

I will be watching at home. My heart is pounding just thinking about it.

August 28, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. PUMA moving on...

Let's Unite August 28th, 2008 4:38 pm ET

To PUMA 4 OBAMA and anyone else in the same situation:

I would like to sincerely say,

THANK YOU.

-----------

Don't thank me, thank the Clintons for reminding me I'm an American above anything else.

August 28, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Larry Mac

Why are people going to see this?

Is this a religious experience?

I really think there are drugs in our water supply.

August 28, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. Chris S.

what CAN I SAY BUT WOWWW!!! THIS IS TRULY A MILESTONE IN AMERICAN HISTORY. FINALLY WE ARE STARTING TO SEE DR. MLK DREAM BEING REALIZED. THANK GOD LIFE DONT LAST FOREVER. THE RACIST ERA IS BEGINNING TO COME TO AN END. IM GLAD TO KNOW IM APART OF HISTORY AND YOU SHOULD BE TOO. THANK YOU HILARY FOR WHAT YOU DONE FOR AMERICA. YOU MADE HISTORY TOO!! NO WAY, NO HOW, NO JOHN MCCAIN!!!

August 28, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. joycelyn

This is what McCain and his camp hates to see!!!!!!. People coming out in thier numbers to support Obama. So, guess what, and ad will be out critizing Obama for drawing this crowd. In any event i hope Obama gives the speech of his life and follows through with his work in the White House.

Obama/Biden 08/2012

August 28, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Chris, Middletown, CT

Not sure if CNN will post this – but here goes....

There are people who are seriously supporting Hillary....which positions?? (she has taken all of them) – her heroic sniper fire story (which was a complete lie) – perhaps its her "experience" – )she didn't attend a single cabinet meeting) – maybe its her service to her home state of Arkansas....then a quick move to NY (where when she was elected she wouldn't even qualify for a student load....didn't live in the state long enough) – perhaps it was the earmark the to Childrens Health Bill of 1 million to build a Woodstock Musceum – perhaps the Chinese dishwashers making 12K per year – shown donating 2500 each to Hillary....(maybe they saved huh?) – I need to know what makes you people tick....do you just ignore the aforementioned...its all true....why won't you see it??

August 28, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. No McCain No How

100,000 people requested tickets in the first 48 hours...the stadium only holds 75,000 people are even now trying to get tickets...that's not being a rock star, thats being better than McCain

August 28, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. kenneth wells

This is a moment that should make all citzens of of this great
    nation proud. I hope Mccaine don't try and mess it up ! just for
    politalical gain. This is American history we can all be proud of.

August 28, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  15. BK

That stage and the arrogance of Obama reminds me of George Bush 8 years ago. He lost every debate and they still voted for him. Only in america.

August 28, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  16. Tim

CNN!!! for a week, you put your poll of polls up indicating the tie between the candidates. Then on 6/24, Obama took a 4 point lead and nothing. Today, 6/28 Gallup has Obama with a 6 point lead. What gives? Is your desire to keep it close hindered your ability to cover the news??? Please report all the news, not just the news that helps your political team.

August 28, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  17. JJ

Wow! Look at those lines. It is very exciting to see American excited about "Change We Can Believe In". So exciting! Can't wait for tonight. I think I am going to have a box of tissues near me.

August 28, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |