August 28th, 2008

VP contender Pawlenty abruptly cancels appearances, flies home

DAYTON, Ohio (CNN) – It is unclear if John McCain has notified his running mate yet, but planned Denver media appearances by Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, thought to be a top contender, were abruptly canceled Thursday so he could back to head back to Minnesota, an aide said.

Pawlenty’s appearances were canceled by the Republican National Committee, which had invited him to Denver to act as a McCain surrogate during the Democratic convention.

Another VP contender, former primary season rival Mitt Romney, is traveling in California and attending private events, including fundraisers. There was no indication he has received word either way yet from McCain, according to sources close to the former Massachusetts governor.

A Republican source close to McCain also says not to rule out former eBay CEO and McCain economic adviser Meg Whitman. Independent Senator Joe Lieberman is also considered a major contender for the VP slot on the GOP ticket.

A senior McCain adviser has told CNN the presumptive Republican presidential nominee has made his final decision on his running mate. Republican sources told CNN he settled on his choice Wednesday night, while the McCain adviser insists the candidate finalized his choice Thursday morning.

Filed under: John McCain • Tim Pawlenty
  1. Dayahka

McVain can't stand to have anyone else in the limelight. He is showing himself to be vain, crude, rude, and irrelevant. It doesn't matter who his VP is because the main problem is McPain, not some VP.

August 28, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  2. Observation

That's why McCain came out with a positive ad. He's trying to line up with Palenty's character. I wonder will it work, McCain's flip floping again, he's a chameleon, he's changing his stripes to suit the situation.

The democratic stragety from this is, McCain will say and do anything to get a vote.

August 28, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  3. Will

I'm from Minnesota and I can say that he is "Pawlenty of Problems."

August 28, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  4. Jeff

JOE BIDEN will eat him for breakfast in the VP Debate

August 28, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  5. WANDA

I LOVE JOHN MCCAIN AND HE WILL KEEP US SAFE. I VOTE FOR OBAMA IS A VOTE TO KEEP KILLING MILLIONS OF THE UNBORN. MILLIONS OF BLACK BABIES.

August 28, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  6. An Independent Hillary

Oops, a bad choice it turns out to be Pawlenty. McCain needs someone who will energize the base – not put them to sleep even more!!!

August 28, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  7. WANDA

OBAMA IS A KILLER.

August 28, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  8. Tim from MN

Please don't elect Tim P. as the vice president. Minnesota will not survie Carol Molnau as Govenor.

August 28, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  9. Jarrod

I too am from Minnesota, and while Pawlenty is not my first choice (Romney), neither was McCain (again, Romney). I think Pawlenty would do a fine job, and while not ultra-conservative, he can hold the line on taxes, and he's got the youth-factor going for him.

August 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  10. p. gordon from floriida

i for one will vote for mcCain hope he will pick a woman for his vp

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. Deb

I agree with your positive comments about Pawlenty, Michael. He also has the image of a man of the people, having grown up in a blue-collar neighborhood and making something of himself. He's bright and articulate and holds strong to the party line. The evangelicals will prefer him over Romney. However, the Minnesota schools have suffered due to lower funding, the bridges haven't received proper maintenance (remember the 2007 bridge collapse?), unemployment rates are higher than the national average, and Minnesota's running a deficit even though it is a higher-tax state. Pawlenty doesn't bring much to the table in terms of domestic issues and certainly not foreign policy. And would he be ready to lead the country in McCain's place? Pawlenty has spent a lot of time talking about Obama's inexperience...It would be interesting to see how the campaign tactics changed if he was chosen as McCain's VP.

August 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. Lisa

I don't know who he (Pawlenty) is. I'm gonna have to google him.

August 28, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  13. Gin

Sick of hearing McCain talk about being a POW. My husband was not a POW but did two tours of duty in Viet Nam and so did plenty of other guys. I give him credit but he is always bringing up the subject of being a POW. Give it a rest. I would never vote for him.

August 28, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  14. CMae

MCCAIN – PALIN 08!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  15. Nat, NYC

No way, no how, no Obama!!
    I think it is Romney and he was my choice for President and now for VP.
    Don't trust Obamas, they both pretenders. Biden is the old Washington.
    What changes are you talking about, naive Democrats?

August 28, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |