August 28th, 2008

What the TV cameras aren't watching

Barney Smith got the Invesco crowd to its feet.
Barney Smith got the Invesco crowd to its feet.

While TV cameras weren't watching, "ordinary guy" Barney Smith - part of the convention's "American Voices" segment - brought mile-high stadium to its feet.

He told his story of losing the Indiana factory job he'd held for 30 years and then said America needed a president who paid more attention to "Barney Smith" not "Smith Barney."

The crowd leapt to its feet chanting "Barney, Barney!"

1. Open Eyes

This guy was AWESOME!!! I was so grateful to hear his story and will pray for him and his family!

The Republicans created this mess and have ignored American families for FAR too LONG!!!

August 28, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  2. Mike Smith and Sally Sue (MSSS)

President Obama drew a crowd at Invesco Field LARGER than what the Denver Broncos could draw. If the stadium was larger, maybe more Americans could be allowed to attend and enjoy the global celebration. Even if the continental U.S. was one big giant stadium, you still wouldn't be able to hold all of the world's OBAMA supporters. This Presidential campaign is HUGE.

CNN commentators are haters.

August 28, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  3. George

Seriously speaking. After 8 years of the worst government in America's history. You've got to be really stupid to vote John McCain

August 28, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  4. Debby

Barney Smith for President!!!!!!!

August 28, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  5. Matt in Florida

I saw the whole thing on PBS.

We Americans absolutely MUST elect Barack Obama.

August 28, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. GT in CA

I watched Barney on C-SPAN since CNN's coverage was terrible. Too many talking heads saying a lot about nothing. CNN blew it.

August 28, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  7. What's wrong with us?

We need a president who will tell Americans to get off their fat, lazy butts and work harder and smarter. Granted, things are tough for my family as well, and I probably have as good a story to tell as the next person, but as I gripe about how things are going I am also working to better myself and make it happen for myself and my family – and not wait for either presidential candidate to give me a handout.

I don't think either candidate will change anything for my family. I'll bet I can (continue to) change my own station before anybody in the government changes things for me. Why should I sit around an moan? I'll make it happen myself.

Yeah, I work two jobs, have a family, and have gone back to school full time (at 49 years old). I'll cast my vote for the candidate I feel will best serves this country's needs (not just my own), but I consider myself fortunate to have the drive, desire and support of my family to accomplish what is best for us. It sure beats laying around eating junk food while watching mindless shows on TV.

August 28, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  8. Independant/Iowa

God bless Barney Smith

August 28, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  9. Desmond Sequeira

Barney Smith and millions of ordinary US citizens clearly know that OBAMA MUST BE PRESIDENT.

August 28, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. Crush Rush

Dont pay any attention to the paid bloggers for McCain.

August 28, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  11. WOAH

Obama's speech will be taught in school text books in the very near future.

and McCain's 'nod' commercial will be shown to be nothing more than it is...... a consession.

August 28, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  12. McSame

It's amazing how all these republicans can show up on these forums without stating any of McCain's Policies.Unless all you people are part of that top 5% Obama will raise taxes for, why are complaining? This country is in such a mess how can you possibly vote for someone who voted with Bush 90% percent of the time. Oh Yeah, Bush has an approval rating under 30%..seems like a great choice to me...

August 28, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  13. Ron in Minnesota

McCain is out of touch with 80% of americans when he says he doesn't know how many homes he has.

August 28, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  14. Obama = genius

Great line. Yes we can!

August 28, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  15. Cynthia

I loved to hear the stories from real people about the stories of their lives. Let's you know for sure that even though you might not be suffering there are people out there who have it really tough. The telling stories were the ones who were once Republicans and said never again!

August 28, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  16. Middle America

I agree with Barney! We need more factory jobs! All hail the 20th century!

August 28, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  17. RANDRIANIRINA

The ordinary people who make the nation. More the leaders hear and listen to them the better the nation will became....

August 28, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  18. Sue

It's about time that someone listens to the general public!
    OBAMA 08!

August 28, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  19. Annette, Washington, DC

He told it like it was! Good for him.

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  20. therealslimshady

August 28th, 2008 11:07 pm ET

McCain is the candidate of authentic change we can really believe in! He has worked across the aisle and fought for issues that were not popular with his party or president but were good for the American people!

That was the John McCain of 2000 that John McCain would not vote for the John McCain of 2008. Dick Cheney, George Bush, Joe Lieberman, and Rudy Giuliani theses are some of folks that will speak at theGOP convention next week "Change" I think not.

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  21. BK

Alll right CNN you and every one else heard it. This is the 2nd time he has said he wanted to debate. Hold his feet to the fire. When McCain takes him up on it. He has hide from ever town hall meeting. Do your job CNN. He only stays on script and we are getting a little tired of his lies. He talks out of both sides of his mouth.

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  22. abby

Yep, I watched PBS and caught the whole thing. Gotta love PBS, excellent commentary and you see everything! Way better then listening to newcasters interupt and overide speeches that need to be heard.

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  23. American Citizen

I Pray that Obama will be the President Of the United States.

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  24. Last Honest Man

I'd vote for Simth....not Obama

August 28, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  25. steve dumford, Scotts valley ca.

I'm a liberal independent. Obamas speech was nothing special. Hillarys was oh so much better as was Bill Clintons. Liked the part where he talked about his upbringing and said that wasn't the upbringing of a celebrity, meanwhile the set and the venue SCREAMED "Celebrity." People vote for people they can relate to. Who out there in most of America can relate to this? BIG mistake to put him in a setting that says "Idol" all the way. The set way overshadowed the words. People want a person for President who is like them. Obama is not that person. I also liked the part where he said he'd debate with McCain anytime and yet he's refused all debates with McCain except the ones where he feels safest. Same as he did with Hillary. I know he can't help it, but this mans face looks haughty which makes him look arrogant and then he puts that in this setting. Pardon me but I think that is plain stupid. When all the hot air settles down reality will settle in. The fact is that no President gets what he wants. Congress has to agree and , sorry folks, but nothing much is gonna change. These ar politicians and they're full of hot air and not much else.

August 28, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |