August 29th, 2008

Bush phones Palin, White House energized

President Bush called Gov. Palin Friday to congratulate her.
President Bush called Gov. Palin Friday to congratulate her.

(CNN) - The White House is "energized" over John McCain's pick of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for the No.2 spot on the Republican presidential ticket, White House press secretary Dana Perino told reporters Friday.

Perino also said President Bush phoned Palin earlier Friday morning to congratulate the Alaska Republican for being selected for the position.

President Bush believes the McCain-Palin ticket is "very strong," and he looks forward to a "great victory in November," Perino also said.

Filed under: John McCain • President Bush • Sarah Palin
  1. Todd M

There's your proof right there. Bush thinks the "McCain-Palin ticket is very strong".

When has this bozo been right?

August 29, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Marty Pacino Chicago Il

What a great day for this country, for women, and for the Republican party. I am proud to be an American today. Despite what the misogynists will say this is a great woman and a great day for women across the country. The democrats will regret disenfranchising 18 million voters and will also regret choosing self interest over the will of the people. One woman in particular deserved to be on the ticket but the party was too arrogant and to egotistical to put the party before themselves. Palin just hit a home run with that speech. What a beautiful and articulate woman. Democrats, let the games begin... let the hatred spew and try and destroy this woman in front of the world and see if the voters fall for your lies and resentment. The Republican party has just taken the hope card from the democratic ticket. In poker there are 2 ways to describe this over the top move. Basically McCain just just check raised Obama and CNN and put them on freeze. And now I think Obama and the liberal media are on full Tilt.............. McCain with AA “I'm All In” ... Obama with 2/3 off suit “ I Call” CNN with 5/10 off suit “I Call”..... now you tell me who's gambling?

McCain/Palin 08 ... Did you hear that? I think I hear a Regan style landslide incoming

August 29, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Bulldog

President Bush would think she is a great choice because he and John McCain are two in the same.

August 29, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. anonymouys

we will be looking foward to agreat defeat from the republican come november

August 29, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

If Bush likes something besides food, then I know it is not good.

August 29, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. D in MO

Sherry August 29th, 2008 1:57 pm ET

No, I feel his choice for VP does not undercut his own message. I am a Democrate/Hillary supporter until the state of New York made a “motion of acclamation” to nominate Senator Obama at the DNC with 1521 delegates on the roll call. That’s when I started to shift my support from Democrate to Republican.
    ------------------------------

Seriously Sherry? YOU can't be....

When the state of New York made a motion? Were you not watching? IT WAS HILLARY that made the motion. So as this must be a way to deceive, I deduce you are no former dem at all but a repug blog spammer.

August 29, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  7. Anonymous

"You're doing a heckuva job, Sarah."

August 29, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

Of course this criminal is going to say that. What else would you expect hime to say.................................she is a heartbeat away from the Presidency, and doesn't know squat?

What a blunder.

Once again, McSames judgement has failed the nation!

August 29, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Paul

BIGGEST HYPOCRITICAL MOVE EVER!!!

Makes you wonder what other sudden surprises McCain is likely to throw at us.. This shows clearly his incredible lack of good judgement!

August 29, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. Dan in Philly

Remind me again....WHO cares what Shrub thinks?!?

August 29, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Tired of W, OH

Sounds like Dubya is ready to hang out his "Mission Accomplished" banner on the White House.

Hey, Dubya. If ya really wanna get energized, go stick your finger in a light socket.

August 29, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. Emster

Very strong? On what basis?!? Another point – I don't understand why discussion of McCain's age are unacceptable. There undeniably a significant chance that a 72-year-old male will die or become unable to serve as President for 4 years. So the qualifications of his VP are more critical than anyone else's before. And he picked one of the least qualified VPs ever. I find that insulting that he chose his short-term political gains over the long-term potential implications for the entire country. No one can seriously argue that Palin is qualified to step up to be POTUS and a leader on the world stage. So I find this choice to be obviously political pandering, and insulting. I obviously take this election a lot more seriously than McCain does. Do you?

August 29, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. bellabella

Well, I hope Bush doesn't decide to call her at 3:00 in the morning!!

August 29, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. CRACKKKK

I love seeing a picture of him so happy like that! This is a good day, a very good day. ;)

August 29, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. TESAP:SAVANNAH, GA

PRESIDENT BUSH APPROVES............ WITH MCCAIN..HOW WONDERFUL SINCE MACCAIN APPROVES OF PRESIDENT BUSH..........

August 29, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. JAMES

I AM A DEMOCRAT WHOM WILL BE VOTING FOR THE REPUBLICAN TICKET FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE IN A PRESIDENTIAL RACE. I LOOK NOW AT JOHN MCCAINS CHOICE AS A RUNNING MATE AND OUR PEOPLE IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY SAYING SHE IS VERY INEXPERIENCED AND HAS NOT BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGH AND THAT SHE IS TO NEW TO THE GAME TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE. WELL MANY OF THOSE REASONS ARE THE PRIMARY REASONS I AM NOT VOTING FOR BARRACK OBAMA. I SEE JOHN MCCAIN AS BEING VER VERY DIFFERENT FROM GEORGE BUSH. AND IN ECCONOMICS AND ENERGY IT IS EASY TO SEE HE IS GOING TO HEAD IN A DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT DIRECTION THAN THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION IF HE IS ELECTED. SO I THINK JOHN MCCAIN CAN STABILIZE THINGS AND GET US THRU UNTIL 2012. THEN IT WILL BE HILLARY ALL THE WAY TO A NEW AND WONDERFUL FUTURE. BUT RIGHT NOW WE CANT GAMBLE ON OBAMA FIGURING OUT HOW AND WHAT TO DO AND WE CAN TRUST HE WILL GO AGAINST THE GRAIN TO MAKE SURE OUR FUTURES ARE SECURE AND PROSPEROUS ENOUGH.
    I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE SO MANY REASONS TO DOUBT A DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE AND VOTE REPUBLICAN BUT I SEE I AM NOT ALONE AND WE CAN DO THE RIGHT THING, AND MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE WHILE DOING IT!
    DEMOCRATS FOR MCCAIN
    HILLARY IN 2012!!!!I

August 29, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. Bob Stephens

The White House would be energized if McSame picked Attila the Hun to run as his VP

August 29, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Cynthia

Isn't that what they have to say. After what the country and gone through with the Bush Administration for eight years the White House opinion doesn't count for much.

August 29, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Orbiter Dictum

McCain & Pain - that's the ticket.

August 29, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Veteran for McCain

I am so energized by this choice. I was a little jealous of all of the Obama stuff going on, but this just takes the cake. McCain has opened the door for a new generation of Republican's and I'm so happy to be a part of it.

McCain/Palin 2008 – That just sounds good!!!!

August 29, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. LLM from MD

HE'S EXCITED BECAUSE THIS MEAN MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY!!! I've never seen him this happy!!

August 29, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Mike Bulmer

"Heckuva job, Paylie." What a joke.

August 29, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Luke Brown, Charleston SC

But will she be ready on Day One?

Big Mac has blown it. He has given away his best issues against Obama. (as in public service experience, military service, and readiness to be commander-in-chief)

August 29, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  24. Former republican white man from california for Obama

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA Well Thank you Mr Bush If you agree with his choice as you two seem to agree on alot it goes to show just how poor John Mc Cains judgment really is!!! This is going to sink him in the polls. She will not bring on any hillary voters or women in general! she is on the wrong side of every single women issue and has less experience than any other women currently in office. You would have thought with the fine group of women to choose from he would have at least picked someone that has experience I mean some at least. But that is not what the radical right wants they do not want. With bush/Cheney the radical right lead by Cheney used Bush as there scape goat and lap dog. Now they want to use this poor women as John Mc Cain takes over as leader of the radical right they will use her and her inexperience to there advantage. Another women being used so rich white men can get richer I think it is a spit in HRC's face for him to pick this women!

Obama/Biden 08

August 29, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. Republicans retain power? You decide.

It's funny how Bush's own party doesn't want anything to do with him.

August 29, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |