August 29th, 2008

GOP VP shortlisters react to McCain’s choice

McCain announced Friday he had chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate.

(CNN) – As news broke that Sarah Palin Friday had been selected to join John McCain on the Republican ticket, reactions from others believed to have been on the Arizona senator’s shortlist trickled in, each speaking more glowingly of the Alaska governor than the last.

“A wonderful, terrific, outstanding pick,” said Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty at the Minnesota State Fair Friday morning. Pawlenty was believed to be a longtime frontrunner for the vice presidential slot, but Friday morning told a local radio station that he wasn’t going to Dayton, Ohio where McCain was to unveil his pick.

Fellow frontrunner and former McCain rival Mitt Romney called Palin’s biography “inspiring.”

“She's a Washington outsider with a commitment to the conservative principles that will make our nation stronger,” said Romney in a statement. “I look forward to campaigning for Senator McCain, Governor Palin and Republicans all across the country.”

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee revealed on his Web site on Thursday that the McCain campaign had never asked him for the documents necessary for the vetting process. He praised Palin as a “pleasant surprise” because of her pro-life record and said she was a reminder to women, “that if they are not welcome on the Democrat’s ticket, they have a place with Republicans.”

Florida governor and prominent surrogate Charlie Crist – who appeared to fall off the Arizona Senator’s radar in recent weeks – complimented Palin for her bi-partisan work.

"Senator John McCain has made a great pick in Governor Sarah Palin. She has demonstrated tremendous leadership as the chief executive of her state…” Crist wrote in a short statement released by his office.

All four men will address the Republican convention in Minneapolis-St. Paul next week.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Robin Floyd

How is it possible that Republicans have stated that Obama is inexperienced but, Palin is a viable candidate to step in for McCain. This is nothing but a political tactic to distract those who are still undecided about Hiliary Clinton not being selected on the Democratic ticket. I have to give it to McCain though, but I think that this selection is an insult to American women. Who is she?

August 29, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  2. Ben Stone

Don't know where else to post this, but Josh Lewis' brief bio of Palin is just about the most sycophantic, uncritical piece of drivel I've read all day. Really? She's been branded a "maverick?" Are you folks even capable of thinking outside the cliches?

Shame on CNN for not taking its responsibility to impartially inform the public seriously.

August 29, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  3. white, female and registered Independent

There are several things that I believe will hurt Mccain in his fight for the white house, which by the way I am glad about. He has made many Independent's minds up with his choice for a VP.
    #1. He just took the inexperience issue off the table.
    #2 . He put his political gains first and ahead of the American people and our safety. We need more national security exeprience in a VP serving with a 72 yr old cancer survivor, even Obama has been around the national scene longer.
    #3. Mccain proved yet again that he is compulsive and followed his political instinct.
    #4. He showed us he has no judgement. He doesn't even know the woman he chose to hand over America to if he was to be ill.
    He proved to us that he is more concerned about winning than he is about making the right choice. He showed us how he will do whatever it takes to get where he needs to go. That is low! I did not care for Mccain much either way. I do not agree with his policies or his attitude, but now I am even terrified of his judgement and his governing. He thinks nothing of it to just turn America over to someone he just met once . I am sorry but that is truly UNPATRIOTIC!

August 29, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. AIR HEADS

yES WE WOMEN DON'T VOTE WITH OUR BRAINS.
    WE WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN- WHO IS AGAINST WOMEN.

August 29, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  5. Jon

Of course these guys will praise McCain's choice–in public. In private, they are probably wondering if he has taken leave of his senses.
    The one positive they might see in the choice is that it will absolutely ensure McCain won't be on the ticket in four years, and will thus make future presidential runs easier for them.

Palin makes Dan Quayle look mainstream (he had eight years in Senate and four in the House before being selected as Bush's running-mate). The closest comparison I can come up with as Goldwater's pick of obscure upstate NY Congressman William Miller as his running-mate in 1964.

Perhaps people see Palin as a stalking-horse for the oil industry, and the thought has in fact occurred to me as well. However, if the Republican ticket takes a big drubbing this fall, it won't help the cause of offshore drilling.

Finally, I note the enthusiastic endorsement provided to Palin by Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, who is under indictment for a variety of quite serious offences. With friends like Stevens, does Palin need enemies?

Wild Otter

August 29, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  6. RJ

Superb choice — absolutely superb — McCain and Palin. I was so hoping he'd pick Sarah — and aren't her children darling - Michelle?! We're back to sanity instead of a Las Vegas Greek-columned spectacle, crowning Obama, the emperor with no clothes. On to victory in November — REAL change and REAL solutions for America — the BEST country on earth!

August 29, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  7. Lisabeth

Of course they are going to say that. They are so unbelievable, so phony. Everybody has their talking points and they stick with them. As a woman, and a Hilary supporter, I am totally insulted by this choice. McCain really does NOT get it.

August 29, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  8. Concerned Voter

The picture of her on Vogue's cover doesn't look VP like. Look's more like "celebrity" (Oh, wait that's the Rep. line). I sure would not want to steal anything they say, cause all they do is steal remarks from the Dem. Those 18 million cracks(Hillary's words) were not for Palin, you are not Hillary and never will be! I am actually frightened for my future and the future of my children and grandchildren. IF anything should happen to McCain (God Forbid) who will feel safe with her running our great country? No More, No Way , No McCain!

August 29, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  9. Chris- SF

They're relieved! Who in their right mind would want to be on the wrong side of history as the Republican Party will inevitably be come November.

Change is in the air, and it's going to blow the establishment to kingdom come!

August 29, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. alvino

I think McCain chose her because she looked better in a swimsuit than Mitt Romney.

August 29, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  11. S. Boatman

NO WAY, . . . NO HOW, . . . NO MCCAIN!

August 29, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  12. Art

This is obvious an act of desperation! Why would she and her family be flown into Dayton in the middle of the night? Then again he didn't have much of a choice considering the pool of talent he had to choose from. When the announcement was made there sure was alot of "deer in headlights" looks. But Republicans keep trying to convince yourselves this was a great move, and in the event of an untimely death (McCaine has not looked well) and she has to lead 300,000,000 americans who will come first her family or country?

August 29, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  13. ivory

I think that John McCain is thinking about getting women votes that Hillary left behind. With Palin&John is not love at first sight

August 29, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  14. Denise

Lets just hand the Dems the Presidency! What an idiot!

August 29, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  15. Thomas, Illinois

Guys-Thats all fine an dandy, but can she lead? I think I talk for the majority of Americans when I say-With such lack of forignen policy experience, wouldn't that hurt our national sucurity? Wewould be under attact by everyone because she wouldn't know what to do-scary......

August 29, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  16. Ron

This is someone that says he is ready to lead. He doesn't make very good choices. Where is the experiance?

August 29, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  17. Obama/Ron Paul Supporter

This was his worst Pick. Honestly. I do not know what she brings.

August 29, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  18. Stephy

It amazes me how the republicans can bash Obama because they feel he's not ready to lead, but John McCain who is what...a 100 years old and has one foot in the grave can pick a VP who has little if any knowledge of foriegn affairs and they are praising her. God forbid the republicans win this election, because if McCain does kick the bucket we are surely going down.

August 29, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  19. shaun

Who cares! Thie republican party is boring and uninteresting....

August 29, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  20. jen

I am a Hillary Supporter who has supported McCain since Obama snubbed Hillary for the VP slot. I am overwhelmingly pleased with McCain's choice of Palin, a wife, mother and woman in charge.... just like me. Thanks McCain for the pick.

August 29, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  21. Luke Brown

The way McCain kept looking at her breasts gave me the creeps. He has always had a thing for beauty queens.

August 29, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  22. Paul Stewart

It took a political crisis for these cave men to finally do the right thing. Good for Palin. It will not change the outcome of the election. It is still the cave men running things.

August 29, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  23. Pat S.

Awsome choice! A pro-choice woman, a real family woman (like most of mainstream america!)! You can tell the child-murdering liberals are worried based upon all the hatred and mean spirited tongue lashing responses (i.e. from Boxer and Paul Begalia).

As for her lack of experience ... well what about Obama (only being in the Senate only a short amount of time)!

Excellent ... Excellent choice!

August 29, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  24. Feminist in Denver

Any woman who claims to care about women's rights cannot vote for this ticket. They are both anti-choice. And YES, it is ANTI-CHOICE, not pro-life. I am pro-choice but that does not mean I am anti-life. There is no other reality of this right wing, anti-woman stance...remove her reproductive rights. When we deny women rights, where will it end?

Another feminist point. I am really sick of hearing people call critics of Palin sexist. Let's be real. If you want to call yourself a feminist and are TRULY for equality, then be consistent. A woman should be just as able to be criticized as a man in this game. That's not sexist, welcome to reality. I never expect my colleagues to go light on me because I am a women. In fact, that never crosses my mind. Why? I want to be treated equally. So, stop crying sexism. Clearly this is coming from people who do not understand what gender equity means.

My guess is that CNN won't post this though it is SO true!

August 29, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  25. VOICE OF REASON

ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING WHEN THE OBAMA CAMP SQUAWKS ABOUT HER THIN FOREIGN POLICY AND EXPERIENCE. AMAZING TO THE THIRD POWER HOW HYPOCRITICAL. OK THEN REPUBS LOOSE HER FOR A BETTER CANDIDATE AND THE DEMS LOOSE OBAMA. FAIR SHAKE, NO? THOUGHT NOT!!!! MAYBE IF SHE WERE A SMIDGE MORE DIVINE AND WELL ELITE. I GUESS THE FACT THAT SHE COULD WAX THE FLOOR OF THE CAPITAL ROTUNDA WITH BARRY IN A ONE ON ONE SHAKE DOWN CAUSES HIM COLD SWEATS. ALL THE MCCAIN SHORT LISTERS WILL FOLLOW THE PARTY LINE. LIBERMAN ? IF HE WERE SUCH A FIND WHY DIDNT BARRY PICK HIM? GUESS HILLARY GEED WHEN SHE SHOULDA HAWED. BET SHE IS A LOOKING LIKE THE LAST TRAIN OUT NOW. COURSE THAT TRAIN' ALREADY PULLED OUT OF THE STATION.

August 29, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |