August 29th, 2008

McCain and Palin disagree on arctic drilling

Sarah Palin makes her first appearance as McCain's VP.
Sarah Palin makes her first appearance as McCain's VP.

DAYTON, Ohio (CNN) - The McCain-Palin bumper stickers are barely off the printers, but the presumptive GOP nominee and his newly tapped running mate already have at least one major policy disagreement.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is one of the nation’s strongest advocates for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. John McCain opposes the idea, though he has carefully left the door open to changing his mind.

McCain hinted in June that he may re-evaluate his position on drilling in ANWR, saying that he would “go back and look at it again,” but he has since continued to cite environmental concerns as his primary reason for opposing drilling in the reserve.

Both Palin and McCain support offshore oil drilling.

In July, the Alaska governor told Human Events that she was planning to invite McCain to visit ANWR in Alaska in hopes of changing his position on the matter.

“We agreed to disagree,"” Palin said at the time, adding: “I am encouraged with his evolved thinking on offshore drilling, and I think he might come along on ANWR if he sees our 2,000 acres for himself.”

McCain told the Weekly Standard in early August that he had not yet consulted with Palin.

“I probably should,” he told the magazine. “I will.”

Now that Palin is hitting the campaign trail with McCain, they might finally have a chance to talk.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. exrepublican

When a candidate tauts her experience on the PTA you are in trouble. McCain is Insane. He says that she, Palin, has executive experience, hell Romney is an executive! I will stay home in November!

August 29, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. Sarah

I'm sorry but if the Republicans had the guts to elect a qualified woman they would have put in Condi.

August 29, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  3. Jarina Bibi

Well! now we can say we have roped in the so call maverick.
    This is surely a guarantee Win for Obama/Biden.
    The republican's once again showed their lack of understanding on what the people really want.

August 29, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  4. applecrispbetty

Big oil runs the R party. McCain was forced to make this pick.
    Bushes = big oil
    Cheney = big oil
    Palin = big oil

August 29, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. anonoymous

If Palin can hold mayor and governor office she has just as much experience as a senator. Look at Arnold Swartzanager Gov. of California, he seems to be doing a fabulos job and he never even had a political seat before.

August 29, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Not hard to believe that she's for drilling in the Arctic given that her husband is an oil production operator.

August 29, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. BJS

I think this shows how desperate the GOP is and how strong they think the Democrats are. I am a Independent who voted for Hillary Clinton, and I was givivng McCain a chance to win my vote. He blew it, if he thinks I am going to vote for him just because he chose a woman he is crazy. I don't see how he say Obama does not have enough experience, and then pick a woman who has less. I guess I will stick with the democrats this year. McCain's judgement is seriously out of whack.

August 29, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  8. Jim Wade, Iowa

Off-Shore drilling is one of the biggest scams of my time.

August 29, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  9. kid

Huge publicity stunt. It could possibly work though because it would take the Obama campaign time to get out of shock and come with some momentum to attack. I am interested to see how this will poll next week.

August 29, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. me

Seems that the Republicans are going to make the case that the Democrats won't help ease the pain at the pump. Though offshore drilling has been popular it is only a stopgap measure which does nothing for the long term. Probably trying to convince the american people to put environment second and their suvs first especially if McCain would reconsider his stance on drilling in a National Wildlife Refuge. We don't need more oil we need new clean alternatives.

August 29, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. liz

Shocking that the people who would make the most cash off of drilling are the ones pushing for it the hardest. It only took a few tens of thousands of years for the land to be created, why not destroy it in a mattter of months so that our gas prices can drop by 1 cent. I save more money than that by walking two blocks to the store.

August 29, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. Brian

I just find it funny that she's literally married into the oil companies.

August 29, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  13. Lovely in VA

I told yal that McCain preferred craps to blackjack. Guess that mentality carries over into everyday life choices. What an idiot!! The bad part is that HER career will suffer because of the tie to this historic election. She should have said thanks, but no thanks.

August 29, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Darrel from Denver

McCain just gave the Democrats a huge gift.

August 29, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  15. Mr. X

McCain spends the summer bashing the credentials of a politician with twelve years of experience, four of which is at the federal level. He then chooses as a running mate a politician with two years' experience, none of which is at the federal level. Colossal hypocrisy, but unfortunately all too predictable from the GOP these days.

August 29, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. Kim

I just don't understand. How does McCain pick someone with less experience then Obama when that is his number one "attack" against him??????

Confused in Wisconsin

August 29, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Thomas

At least John knows that he will get 3 electoral votes. That's something.

August 29, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. An Independent Hillary

I hate to say it, but I think McCain made a terrific choice. Talk about stealing the thunder from Obama. This is going to be an interesting election!

August 29, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. John Purdue

Governor Palin is enough to sway my vote to McCain. Though I am pro-right, but her decision to keep her son illustrate her characters. She will be strong to overcome all and lead the country.

August 29, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  20. Franky

McCain hinted in June that he may re-evaluate his position on drilling in ANWR depending on the polls

August 29, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. Sig, Los Angeles CA

Oy... I don't know McCain camp, I don't think this is gonna work.

August 29, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. obamaton

What an awesome choice! McCain-Palin '08!

August 29, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  23. Tammy

Somebody wake me up after November. I've had enough.

But if McCain gets this because of Palin then wake me up when he's out of the White House.

August 29, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  24. McCain/Palin '08

McCain hit a homerun !!!!!! Palin is terrific....

August 29, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  25. Lisa from VA

As a Hillary supporter I am a bit insulted. John McCain obviously thinks I just wanted a woman...any woman in office. Thats not it. I wanted Hillary because of who she is. I feel like he just don't get it at all. He obviously t hinks we Hillary supporters are so shallow and air brained that as long as its a woman, then we're on board. I can't speak for anyone else...its just how I feel. bluh

August 29, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |