August 29th, 2008

McCain names Sarah Palin as surprise VP choice

John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.
John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House in November, a senior McCain campaign official has told CNN.

Watch: McCain introduces Sarah Palin as his VP

Palin, 44, is a first-term governor who unseated incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary in 2006 and went on to defeat former Gov. Tony Knowles, a Democrat, in the general election.

An advocate of drilling for oil in her state's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, she is little known outside of Alaska.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Kevin

I'm glad that a woman has a chance, but I'm still backing Obama.

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. laxraddad

She ain't Hillary,... she's better than Hillary! She has more executive experience than Obama! With a 90+% approval rating plus she's NOT a lawyer. Certainly she's a darkhorse candidate but let's see how this plays out. Wake up America! NOBAMA!

McCain / Palin '08

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. KAMI IN CHANDLER AZ

Ladies, please dont fall for this!!! She is against abortion right among other things!!!!! She isnt Hillary and doesnt stand for anything that Hillary stood for!! She is the polar opposite of Hillary, McCain did this to try to steal some votes!!!

Dont forget what Hillary stands for, and dont fall for this McCain ploy for votes!!!!!

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. McCain/Palin '08

I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  5. Patricia

McCain pandering is nothing new. Now, will women fall for it? Will women seal the fate of women's rights and progress by falling for this? I can't wait to find out.

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  6. Cal dem

Another oil junkie......

She ain't Hillary!

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  7. mcheck57

Picking this woman will not get McCain the female vote. She is the complete opposite of Hillary Clinton-Pro Life, pro drilling. Does he really think he will get Hillary supporters with this choice? If anything those women on the fence will vote Obama.
    I can't wait for the Vice Presidential debates.

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. Kay

An ex-beauty queen who's been in office for a year-and-a-half!

Great judgment McCain.

If he drops dead, I'm sure she'll be ready to lead the whole nation on Day 1!!! She's the perfect leader to handle the war, world peace, and foreign conflicts. She's like Dan Quayle...but better!

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  9. BT in CO

EXCELLENT CHOICE!

McCain-Palin '08

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. Barbara Campbell

Do we know anything about her other than that she's inexperienced and a supporter of the Oil Industry. Perhaps that's all that matters.

August 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. Voice of Reason

Repeat after me: PANDERING, PANDERING, PANDERING

12. Sue

This is a poor choice for McCain. If he thinks that putting a woman on the ticket will bring women voters to him he is vastly mistaken. This woman is pro-life, andwill work with McCain to overturn Roe vs. Wade. She has no foreign policy experience, 1 yr as governer of Alaska, and was the mayor of a remote town in Alaska. Be wise people, Palin is not capable of being President as John McCain is not capapble to be President.

13. loretta

Who?? Is right! What about Colin Powell? Huckabee? Romney? Condi? Very disappointed!

14. Jana

I am a Hillary supporter and I am telling you that McCain pick is brilliant, he gets my family votes. She is much better then Biden. By the way VP do not need an experience, a president needs it. McCain will get a 30% of Democrats with his pick. I love McCain.

15. Dia

How can you be a Hillary supporter and now a supporter of McCain?

Just because he picked at woman as his VP doesn't mean she is the best choice. She is no Hillary, does she stand for the same things Hillary stands for? Or were you just supporting Hillary because she was female?

16. Obidan08

Now I see how desperately McSame needs the women.

IT WON'T WORK!

17. JD

This is great! I was against Obama, but not necessarily for McCain- but Palin is a great choice. She is smart and stands up against corruption. I would vote for her!

18. Chilly, Dallas Tx.

So the GOP is trying to get those bitter Hillary supporters, I'd take offense because it seems their trying to play with peoples intelligence.

19. Woman VP-cool!!

SARA PALIN FOR PRESIDENT in 2012!!! Let's turn over Roe vs. Wade!!!

NO HILLARY- EVER!!

McCain for president 2008- Let's turn over Roe vs. Wade!!!

20. WayneVT

I can't wait for the VP debate....Biden is going to dismantle her!

21. Kevin L.

I'm worry for Joe Biden at the VP debate. Any attack to Palin would be seen as "attacking a woman".

Yeah, I definitely won't vote for McCain now since Palin is an advocate of drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

22. Josh

Isn't she under investigation in Alaska for abuse of power?

23. NY Dem

WHO???

What a low move to pick someone ONLY because of their gender. I've never in my LIFE heard that name before..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11