August 29th, 2008

McCain names Sarah Palin as surprise VP choice

John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.
John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House in November, a senior McCain campaign official has told CNN.

Watch: McCain introduces Sarah Palin as his VP

Palin, 44, is a first-term governor who unseated incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary in 2006 and went on to defeat former Gov. Tony Knowles, a Democrat, in the general election.

An advocate of drilling for oil in her state's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, she is little known outside of Alaska.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Deb, Oklahoma

The Democrats (Kennedy, Richardson, Pelosi..etc) and the media threw Hillary under the bus and as such, you lost MANY lifelong supporters. I just now got off the fence and will vote Republican> Too bad Dems...you had your chance!

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  2. Super delegate NJ

Great Choice; she is a reformer who will clean up Washington. This choice incapacitates the changemobile.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  3. M.B. from Berlin FOR OBAMA

WELCOME ON BOARD OF THE SOON SINKING SHIP.

I hope you have a pleasant journey...

Come on, Old McCain believes he get the Hillary-voters???
    Well...she's NOT Hillary, and I hope the Hillary-Voters are smart enough to look through this...

By the way the last woman, that was a candidate's VP choice lost...

Good luck Sarah uhm what's her name?

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  4. Veterans for Obama

Oh yea McCain....woman are that naive that they will just vote for ANY woman.

What a loser!

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. Obama Supporter, FL

Wait a second...McCain decries Obama's lack of experience, and then chooses a 1st term Governor elected in 2006 to be his running mate??? Absolutely absurd...the Democrats will have a field day with this.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. Pascal

I will love to see her ripped by Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton!

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. Yes I Voted

lmfao! is this a joke?

8. Jimmie, Virginia

Since June I've wondered if she was going to be the choice. Great republican from the state of Alaska. Approval rating above 80%. True conservative. Will definitely appeal to social conservatives, and defected Clinton Supporters. I support Barack Obama, but McCain has made a great choice and made this election ultra competitive.

9. Sick & Tired of Nobama

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE GOING ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!! TOO BAD NOBAMA, YOU COULD HAVE PICKED HILLARY AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN YOU BUT YOU ARE TOO DUMB TO REALIZE THAT!!!
    HAHAHAHAHA
    McCain – Palin 08 YES!!
    NOW THAT'S CHANGE WE CAN BELEIVE IN!!!!

10. Brooke in PA

John McCain just won the election. Once again, Obama and the DNC blow it.

I'm sure Hillary will get blamed for this too..

As a HRC supporter for McCain and a woman (Pro choice however), I'm thrilled.

11. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

An obvious ploy to get disenfranchised Hillary voters.

12. debbie

Quit whining about experience people, she has more executive experience than Obama and Biden together!

13. Tori Ashland OR

She is a gun toting pro lifer from Alaska.

It's the economy stupid! I hope this does not cause the HRC supporters to go to her though. We need change and help with the economy. He just proved he won't do jack scrap on healthcare of the economy.

14. Zach

She will win over SOME of Hillary's supporters. However many of Hillary's supporters supported HILLARY, not just any woman

15. Patrick

Palin who? What? One of the least populous states... oil rich... and he picks their governor?

Makes no sense...

16. Nathan Prophet, Raleigh, NC

A seemingly shrewd move by the Republicans to get the Hillary vote, but the MAJOR issue is McCain's age and this unknown woman's ability to be President if McCain is incapacitated or worse.

17. Timothy - Brooklyn, NY

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY???????????????????

18. J.C.

I hope this isn't true.
    I cannot count on Sarah as our commander-in-chief if anything happens to Senator McCain.

19. Amber

Palin is very expereienced. So before you start talking, go look at her resume.

HELLO GOVERNOR OF ALASKA!!!

STRONG, STRONG, STRONG TICKET.

Count me in Mrs. Palin!!!

20. Franky

Sarah Palin?? Isn't she from Alaska?? Hmmm, interesting...

I remember her name was brought up but this seems unusual. Why am I getting a feeling that it was a last minute decision?? But overall, I like Sarah, know some things about her. But I think this a big push to try and lure Hillary's peeps. Hey, they can take her peeps, I don't care, LOL!! I don't know, I gotta look at some things because this just sounds to me it was a last minute deicision or so.

Is not bad, is O.K. But I still find it unusual. I thought he was gonna pick Pawlenty...

21. Female Hillary Supporter NOT Interested in Sarah Palin

Dear CNN

Please know right up front that I will NOT consider Sarah Palin just because she is a woman! If that is why McCain has chosen her, it won't work.

I am a 66-yr old female, retired teacher.

I am not a PUMA, either, but I was not happy with Obama's followers for the way they bashed Hillary during the primaries, or with his "not much message" campaign, and for his wanting Hillary to stop the primary process early...and other things.

Sarah Palin is a Republican....I don't agree with her platform.....so I would not be able to vote for her..or McCain.

22. Joe Campbell

I thought you might be interested in this.

23. Carrie Goodeagle Hayden, Idaho

He should have picked Paris Hilton, or Brittney Spears. He likes trophy broads doesn't he. So is Sarah the New Trophy VP?

August 29, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. Truth

Bad judgment in a hardcore

August 29, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  25. Paul

Honestly, I don't see how Sarah Palin couldn't be offended by even being asked. This is such an obviously transparent attempt to appeal to women, I can't imagine how people won't see it.

August 29, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |