August 29th, 2008

McCain names Sarah Palin as surprise VP choice

John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.
John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House in November, a senior McCain campaign official has told CNN.

Watch: McCain introduces Sarah Palin as his VP

Palin, 44, is a first-term governor who unseated incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary in 2006 and went on to defeat former Gov. Tony Knowles, a Democrat, in the general election.

An advocate of drilling for oil in her state's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, she is little known outside of Alaska.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Kurtis

Mr. McCain never ceases to amaze me. I hope voters can see this gross move for what it is, to round up Hillary supporters. John McCain, you disgust me.

August 29, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  2. Veterans for Obama and Ex-Republicans for Obama!

Sorry John McCain picking a woman will not help you. I give you some cred for trying…but it won't work! As Hillary supporter myself, how did that go?

NO WAY-NO-HOW-NO MCCAIN!!

And she doesn't have any experience, so its easy to see that you made a decision based on gender. What a hypocrite you are, does she know your voting record on womens issues? Apparently not!

3. Calidris

So I guess Obama's inexperience is now off the table for the Republicans? Palin's experience is 2 years as governor, yet McCain believes she's ready to take over as president of the U.S. at a moment's notice.

4. Salaam, Lawrence KS

what a joke. Biden is still gonna slam Gov Palin in the debate. Beyond a desire to carry Alaska, this is an attempt to help Senator Stevens to retain his seat, and limit a bigger Republican disaster in November.

5. Bob

The self-proclaimed hockey mom vs. Joe Biden? Ha ha!!

Does Palin have the experience to step into the Presidency at a moment's notice? I don't think so!

Isn't Palin under investigation in Alaska? What is McCain thinking (or is he)?

6. Tmic

For a bunch of liberals, there are some pretty preudiced comments here. No wonder Hillary's women will be voting for John McCain.

7. Chi4Obama

Can you say President OBAMA.

8. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

Wow!

9. GO AWAY MCCAIN

What a LAME attempt to steal Disgruntled Hillary supporter votes.

DORK!

10. Eve

McCain likes the way Palin looks, and Obama scared him last night. McCain turned 72 years old today and has fought several bouts with cancer.........now you tell me? Is this woman ready to be president? I don't think so.

11. RDS

LOL...I know McCain thinks that women aren't that smart, but come on this is kinda condescending to think that any women will do. It's obvioius that people have a deep connection with Hillary. How can you jump on Obama about not being ready to lead and say you will pick someone who is ready to be commander in chief and pick someone younger and even more unexperienced than Obama. The PUMA organization is a ruse their isn't millions. Didn't work for Mondale....aint going to work for you. You just feed this newcomer to the wolves Biden will chew her up and spit her out...Game On

Bo/Jo "08"

12. Jason

With all due respect to Governor Palin, this really looks like it's a LOOK I HAVE A FEMALE CANDIDATE I'M PROGRESSIVE decision. McCain wants to talk about experience? Palin only has some city council work and two years of governorship behind her. At least Obama had a decade of state legislature work before his senate career.

And if, heaven forbid, something should happen to McCain (remember that he would be 76 by the end of a first term, should he win), this woman with no Washington experience would have to take over. I don't think she could. She may be a competent governor (at least, I haven't heard of any scandals or anything involving her), but Washington material? I think not.

Seriously, it really, really looks like McCain is simply trying to meet Obama's historic-ness...but when Obama delivers his acceptance speech on the 45th anniversary of I Have a Dream, a governor from the sticks doesn't really compare.

13. AP

You know, it's ironic.

People claim that Obama is about change and new ideas, and yet in his first decision he picks a standard, establishment senator for VP.

People claim that McCain is about sameness and old ideas, and yet in his first decision he picks a new, non-establishment woman for VP.

I can't wait until the Democrats try to claim that Palin is too inexperienced to be VP. The Republicans will simply point out that their young VP candidate has MORE experience than the Dem's presidential candidate.

14. Ryan

I will be ecstatic if this is the actual choice. This would actually top Lieberman as bad choices go for McCain. It comes off as completely desperate to get Hillary's supporters.. and Palin is no Hillary. Also it goes completely against the republican attack line of inexperience. No one has heard of Palin and she has been a the Gov for less than 2 years?!?!

Congrats McCain, you just solidified this election for Obama

15. s.m.

Amazing choice. Palin brings back the outsider/maverick angle to McCain's campaign. She also injects some youth, and makes the McCain ticket more palatable to the scorned Hillary supporters who have been threatening to cross the party line.

McCain-Palin '08

16. Denise

Who is she? I guess McCain is trying to show that he does support women's rights so any skirt will do?? She cannot compare to Hillary Rodham Clinton and I as a Woman-I'm offended with this gesture.

Obama/Biden '08

17. Chayil

CHECKMATE?

Wow.....you gotta give McCain credit for Strategy...he`s certainly making sure he stays in the game. Don`t know anything about Sarah Palin, but the fact that he chose a woman, younger, etc makes me wonder whether she really was the best person for the VP position or whether this was just pure strategy. Either way.....good move McCain! That will certainly ruffle some feathers.

However, my support still goes with Obama!

18. MM

Well this makes it interesting................but I'm still voting for Obama.

19. Bud InTexas

She can join McSame as being the only ticket in history who have been under investigation for wrongdoing while in office.

I guess McSame could not get someone out of a prison.

20. Mary

Amber, are you serious? This is a disgrace! True Hillary supporters realize how sexist McCain is being here.

This is an insult to women… obviously just to pick up disillusioned Hillary voters. As what one might call a former 'PUMA', I'm firmly behind Obama now!!!

21. Carmon Minneapolis MN

More Pandering. LOL

22. Judith

A cynical choice! Does he really think she is capable of running the country–being Commander in Chief–if anything happens to him? Frightening!

23. James

What a surprise, another Repuglican who wants to drill. Awful choice. Romney is probably crying on Guiliani's shoulder right now.

24. Ole Man

I knew something had to be up. How many women are going to fall for this trick. Still the same Bushnomics

25. Confused McCain.

See your commander- in -cheif wanabee make an important decision.
    Bad judgement,