August 29th, 2008

McCain names Sarah Palin as surprise VP choice

John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.
John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin to be his VP.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice-presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House in November, a senior McCain campaign official has told CNN.

Watch: McCain introduces Sarah Palin as his VP

Palin, 44, is a first-term governor who unseated incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary in 2006 and went on to defeat former Gov. Tony Knowles, a Democrat, in the general election.

An advocate of drilling for oil in her state's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, she is little known outside of Alaska.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Chi4Obama

I cannot wait to hear FOX news, and the rest of the GOP spin this as a Positive choice. This is too funny.

2. JK

Mondale/Ferraro
    Mondale/Ferraro

HAHAHAHA, what a sweep it will be this year.

No experience a was MAYOR of

WASILLA, AK population 5,400.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, and they said Obama had no experience. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

3. Mad Republican

well I have to say who is this Person? I have never heard of her. Senator McCain did not get this one right! What about Huckabee? He was by far our best shot at winning in November, I would rather have him choose Ridge! I can't believe this!!! Are you trying to divide the republican base. I for one will not support you now Mr. McCain, you had your shot to sure up the conservative vote, but i for one am not going to vote for you! SHOULD OF BEEN HUCKABEE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now casting my vote for Senator Obama and urge my fellow conservatives to do so! You have lost me! Signed one mad Republican

4. Anonymous

Barack is" to young and inexperienced" quotes from John McCain welcome to the flip flop express.

5. KB

Smart, attractive, and a reformer...Too bad the current Republican party's policies are repugnant to everything America stands for. Once the GOP evolves into the type of party where the majority are the likes of Palin, Schwartzeneger, and Bloomberg, I'll definitely give them another look.

6. desertique

like you can't see right through that pick.
    politics as usual, no substance.
    no insult to the lady but this is just tooooo obvious to be
    believable.

7. Quinn - Houston, Texas

Make no mistake. Picking Palin is an insult to the intelligence of Hillary supporters. You can't just pick ANY woman and expect her supporters to follow.

Palin does NOT represent the views of the vast majority of women in this country.

No way, no how, no McCain.

Obama/Biden 08!

8. Dr Gonzo

Palin has experience in the top political job in Alaska (Governor), Obama has experience in.......wait........well................nevermind.

9. Cooper

I was ready to vote for McCain... but now he has picked a woman with questionable ethics and little experence. How can a vote for a team that was only picked to look prettier than the Democrat?

10. brad

Oh boy. Just heard that her husband works for BP. That makes me very uncomfortable. No more oil connections please. We already had Cheney and Bush. Need I say more.

11. lwhite

McCain being a sexist thinks that one women is the same as another..as Hillary did so well...just pick a woman...........

12. BK

At least McCain doesn't have an upside down ticket. She is a Govenor and was a mayor. She has more experience than Obama. McCain truly is a Maverick. The DNC installed their candidate and shoved Clinton out with the help of the media. We will have the first woman vp.

13. WeLuvObama

Ha! Ha! Republicans – John McCain has just handed this election to President Obama. Why would he pick someone that no one knows and has less experience than Obama? Is it because he is trying to pander to Hillary's supporters? The Lord told me tell you – IT WON'T WORK, No way, No How, No McCain. This so funnnnnyyyyyyy!!!!!

14. Yes I Voted

It has already been PROVEN that the leader of the PUMAS is a republican voter posing as a democrat. All you idiots still acting like you've been lifelong democrats by choosing cool user names need to find a new strategy. You republicans are only losing because you have been underhanded and conniving for the past 8 years.

15. Rob

McCain just can't say no to a young attractive women with money!!!!!!

16. tj-roc, ny

What a JOKE!!!!

17. Chi4Obama

Way to go McCain.

You just made a mockery of women everywhere.

18. Worst...Ticket...Ever....

Game. Set. Match. Election over. See you later Obama.

Palin is a star.

19. Robyn

I support Obama and I would LOVE it if he picked Pailin. McCain has it totally wrong – no way Hillary supporters would help any other woman but Hillary make history. No Way in Heck will they help to get Pailin into the White House with McCain. They want Hillary to be the first woman elected president – if Pailin gets in with McCain at his age you can bet seeing her run and win in 2012. Hillary supporters are not dumb – obviously McCain has a very narrow view of women! Love the pick John – way to go!! Now Hillary is going to campaign her behind off for Obama!!

August 29, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  20. Clear thinker

I hope that this doesn't make the Hillary "supporters" (ie: closet republicans) try to justify voting for McCain this fall. If they go there solely because he chose a woman shows that that was the only criteria they had.

It's sad that people don't realize the difference between an opponent and an enemy. In the democratic nominee race, Clinton and Obama were opponents who actually shared many similar views. Now that it's over, they can focus on the enemy. The "enemy" is not even McCain, the man, but the Bush/McCain mindset and ideals that have brought this country down to where it is.

Please vote intelligently and stick with Obama/Biden '08

August 29, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. Mary

Wow this is shocking...
    This is an insult to women… obviously just to pick up disillusioned Hillary voters. As what one might call a former 'PUMA', I'm firmly behind Obama now!!!

August 29, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  22. Fred

Hey Debbie,
    I follow this blog and everybody knows you are a male republican! The game is up!

August 29, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  23. Joe

Well, this certainly puts the experience factor off the table. This woman does not have the experience to be a heartbeat away from the presidency for a man who would be the oldest elected president in history.

August 29, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Dave, Illinois

McCain just won the election. You Obamite's whining and pathetic insults are music to my ears. Obama's ego and lies started the ship sinking and now McCain's pick just opened up the hull. Way to go Mac!!!!!

August 29, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Amy

Obama just won. You can turn off the TVs and stop reading the news, you hear me, I'm sayiing it out and loud, Obama won the nomination.
    What American would elect a 44 year old woman from Alaska! I think this is a nice way for McCain to lose the election. Actually, McCain, this truly goes to my heart, I should say to our hearts.
    YOu are serving us the win on a silver platter because you love this country so much you know you are not the one who is gonna be able to deliver the change you know we need and that Republicans will not bring either.

McCain we love you!!! Yes Obama supporters love you for serving us the win on a silver platter.

I know you did this on purpose!

OMG, is someone gonna wake me up, Is this real?????
    Did he really chose her!!!

HALELULIA!!!!!!!!!