August 29th, 2008

Obama-Biden commend McCain's VP pick

Sen. Obama and Sen. Biden praised McCain's choice of a female for his VP.
Sen. Obama and Sen. Biden praised McCain's choice of a female for his VP.

(CNN) – Touring a bio-diesel plant in Monaca, Pennyslvania Friday afternoon, Barack Obama and Joe Biden reacted to news that the opposing ticket is now complete, complimenting McCain for choosing a woman but saying Sarah Palin just mirrors the Arizona senator’s policies.

“I'm sure that she will help make the case for the Republicans,” said Obama to reporters accompanying him on the tour. “Unfortunately, the case is more of the same. And so ultimately John McCain is at top of the ticket.”

“As I indicated in my speech last night, I think that he wants to take the country in the wrong direction,” he added. “I'm assuming Governor Palin agrees with him in his policies.”

Obama called Palin “a compelling person” with a terrific personal story and said that her nomination next week is one more indicator that the country is moving forward.

“I think [it] is one more hit against that glass ceiling and I congratulate her and look forward to a vigorous debate,” said Obama. “I'm pleased with my choice for vice president Joe Biden. I think he's the man who can help me guide this country in a better direction and help working families.”

Biden, the man who is expected to be the ticket’s attack dog, stayed relatively mum.

“I'm looking forward to meeting her,” said the Delaware senator.

Earlier Friday, Obama and Biden put out a positive statement congratulating Palin for breaking down barriers. This shortly after campaign spokesman Bill Burton sent one out blasting McCain for putting, “the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency.”

“You know, campaigns start getting these hair triggers and the statement that Joe and I put out reflects our sentiments,” said Obama.

UPDATE: Obama and Biden separately called Palin Friday afternoon to congratulate her on the VP nod, the Obama campaign says. Obama told her she’d be a terrific candidate and that he looked forwarded to the Fall campaign. He wished her luck but not too much, said senior advisor Robert Gibbs.

Minutes later, Biden called and talked with Palin about the shared experience of joining their respective tickets. He said he looked forward to meeting and getting to know her.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Sarah

I could be reading too much into things, but does anyone else think McCain looks really constipated today? I see him with a tight lipped grin as he stands next to Palin but I can almost imagine him thinking, "Please, let's move this along...."

McCain simply doesn't seem pleased. I wonder if he's somehow trying to throw the election.

Well, of course, he could just need more fiber, poor fella.

August 29, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  2. Bob R

Some Hillary supporters say they're offended by Palin....but just remember that they are merely some.....come on folks ....how much is there an insinuation out there that it might be alright to see a black American become President yes for the reason that he is black.....didn't we see this at the dems convention black folk by the thousands crying tears for the realiziation that a coloured man might now become President ? So what can possibly be wrong with Republicans considering that to see a female attain the high office of the Vice might be good for the same basic reason....cultural or gender progression might be a good thing from time to time.....that way of reasoning is ok for the democrats but not for the republicans ?

August 29, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  3. Mike, FL

Wow, what a poor judgement by McCain!!

The candidates biggest decision so far has been selecting a the best VP candidate.

I don't care if you are McCain's supporter, but you can't honestly say she is the best pick over the likes of Romeny, Ridge, Powel or Rice.

August 29, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  4. Rich

Go Harriet Miers! I mean, Sarah Palin!

August 29, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. jose

Yeah, the commended her after they insulted her. It seems that they never learn.

August 29, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  6. Ann

What was McCain thinking? Or was he thinking? How can anyone in their right mind vote for McCain? And I am a disenchanted Hillary supporter.

August 29, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  7. Liz

Well, it is obvious that there are some real issues in the Republican party when the head guy is a former prisoner of war, indicating (to me a veteran) that he has some screws loose. Vets who were in war and not prisoners has many issues. Has anyone check out his medical records. Uppers, downers mood altering drugs. Why do we think he is so quick to anger. No! I would not want either he or Palin to answer that call at 3 a.m.

As an independentt (mother of three ) who would love to have a female on any ticket, believe that any mother who could spend that much time away from a special needs child has no family values. Is she a mother or just a baby maker. This is what people mean when they say republicans are hypocrites.

August 29, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  8. Jay, Pittsburgh

If Democrats are "outraged" at all, it has more to do with McCain's double-speak than "we're scared because it was such a shrewd pick". Mr. "Straight Talk Express" continues to show that he's nothing but a hypocrite. For weeks, we've been hearing how we're all in danger because Obama lacks experience and now McCain picks someone with zero national credentials and precious little large-scale governing experience of any sort.

I have nothing inherently against Ms. Palin, and who knows... four, eight years down the road, she might have the credentials to occupy the second most important job in the nation. But today? Is someone who was a small-town mayor two years ago - who in her own words, doesn't know what the VP does - ready to be across a table from someone like Putin or Ahmadinejad if the situation arose? Say what you will about Obama, but at least he's been swimming in the deep end of the national affairs pool for a while now.

People keep trying to stack her record up against Obama by citing "executive experience" - OK, if "executive experience" is what mattered, how can one support this pick over Ridge or Romney, who governed larger (population) states with a broader range of issues for longer periods of time?

August 29, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  9. A CANUCK

THE DEBATES ARE GOING TO BE SOOOOOO INTERESTING NOW !!!!

August 29, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |