August 29th, 2008

Palin addressed VP speculation in February

CNN

Watch Palin discuss her thoughts on being VP in February.

(CNN) - With Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty out of the mix, increased speculation over who McCain will pick as has GOP vice presidential nominee has turned toward Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Sources point to Palin as McCain's running mate, but CNN has not confirmed.

In February, CNN's Joe Johns asked Gov. Palin whether she would join the Republican ticket if asked.

“It seems so out of the realm of possibility. I feel like I don’t even have to answer your question. At some point in my life, I would like to have an opportunity if it’s handed to me to serve on a national level," she said then. "But I don’t think it’s going to happen on this go around.”

Watch Palin answer the question.

Palin said at the time that McCain should choose a governor as his running mate.

"I do think there needs to be a governor on the ticket. A governor on the front line, administering bureaucracy and setting good policy for the people for whom they are serving. They know how to run government.

In many ways Palin is considered a good match for Sen. John McCain: young, conservative, a reformer who took on and beat Alaska's old guard Republican machine, and hugely popular.

On the other hand, Alaska may be geographically large, but in the presidential race it’s the electoral map that counts, and Alaska only has three electoral votes.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Johnboy

Where was this same story about Biden when he said the same thing when asked the same question??

August 29, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  2. Sarah

As a woman, I think it's about time! And my name is Sarah to! They have my vote!

August 29, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  3. Fred

Palin pales next to Hillary

August 29, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  4. Worst...Ticket...Ever....

Palin is a star. When you hear her speak, you are going to be blown away.

Incredible decision by McCain. Homerun. Game over. Thanks for playing, Barry.

August 29, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Chi4Obama

So there goes McCain's argument about "experience".

August 29, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. JR

Thank God that Palin's no Hillary, and John's no Bill either!

August 29, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  7. mike

The pick seems to be one of desperation. McCain is rolling the dice and pandering to the right wing base of the party. Her experience is very limited. I wonder why he did not choose a Kay Bailey Hutchinson or another GOP female office holder with experience. Her lack of experience is dangerous. The pick reminds me of G. H. W. Bush's pick of Qualyle.

August 29, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  8. drp

Interesting statement – she would like to do it "if it is handed to her." She sounds like a good republican.

August 29, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  9. Larry Kincaid

Governors know how to run government? You mean like Bush? LOL Then why wouldn't being a state senator count – like Obama was for 7+ years? This woman has no name recognition, no experience, and no prayer of becoming VP. Thank heavens. GOP is done for. Enough already.

August 29, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. Greg

I have always thought that John McCain doesn't really WANT to be
    president. This confirms my suspicions.

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  11. Larry Kincaid

They even found a pic of her with her flag pin on.....isn't that sweet?

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Patrick

Wow, what a transparent bid to pick up Hillary supporters.

Of course anyone who would switch from supporting Hillary Clinton to supporting Palin is doing it based on her being a woman and little else. Their positions on the issues are absolutely nothing alike.

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. NORA, FLORIDA

She is not Hillary and does not stand for Hillary values or views; therefore McCain would not get my vote if he paid for it!!! McCain selected her in hopes of getting the Clinton women votes but they better wake up and smell the policies. Don't be bamboozled because of the fact Palin has a down syndrome kid because she also has the supports and type of access to healthcare that many Americans don't have!!!

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  14. Sarah

She stands for our issues and our needs. I'm a mom and so is she. I can't wait to vote in November!

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  15. Francie - G'vl, SC

McCain just elected PRESIDENT OBAMA!

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. Johnboy

It will be fun to watch all of those Obama DNC articles float to the bottom of the page. This is the new story!

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. Jess

WOOOOOOHOOOOO! Great choice!

August 29, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  18. Linda from Michigan

If John McCain thinks picking Palin as a running mate will get the womans' vote, he is sorely mistaken. If he thinks woman wanted Hillary Clinton just because she is a woman, he is sorely mistaken. That is an insult to our intelligence and demeaning! We wanted Hillary because of what she believes in and for the person she is inside; we want Obama for what he believes in and for the person he is inside. The fact that she is a woman or he is African-American has nothing to do with it! I feel insulted by this pick as should all other women. I will be voting for Obama.

August 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  19. Willie

Wow, she was Mayor and council member of a town of 7,000 people. The entire population of Alaska is only 600,000 and this is his first choice. It's sad that people will vote for the ticket because she is a female. What a sorry election.

August 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  20. Bryan

What a sad attempt to attract Hillary's supporters. The only problem is, once they all find out she is Pro-Life, they will run back to Obama so fast McCain won't know what hit him. I think he just picked her because he didn't want to ruin a truly promising political career!

August 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  21. victor durojaiye

Based on the Republican Vice presidential Pick, I believe it is obvious to the entire world that John McCain is just a plain old politician with no thought out strategy, but will obviously do whatever it takes to win the White House. This election is not just about winning but about the lives of everyday Americans.

August 29, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  22. Paul

Please know she's only been governor for a year and a half!! not even 2 years !!!

August 29, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  23. John

The funny thing about this.....she has only been a GOVENOR for 2 years....that means she actually runs a government.....she is actually more experienced than the Dem's Presidential Candidate!!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  24. Dave

Now this is change! A true fresh face to Washington. Tell me Dems, How is Biden, a senator of 35 years change I can believe in?

August 29, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  25. Lisa M

So if something God forbid happens to McCain, she has the experience to be the Prez?

What experience is that?