August 29th, 2008

Palin addressed VP speculation in February

CNN

Watch Palin discuss her thoughts on being VP in February.

(CNN) - With Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty out of the mix, increased speculation over who McCain will pick as has GOP vice presidential nominee has turned toward Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Sources point to Palin as McCain's running mate, but CNN has not confirmed.

In February, CNN's Joe Johns asked Gov. Palin whether she would join the Republican ticket if asked.

“It seems so out of the realm of possibility. I feel like I don’t even have to answer your question. At some point in my life, I would like to have an opportunity if it’s handed to me to serve on a national level," she said then. "But I don’t think it’s going to happen on this go around.”

Watch Palin answer the question.

Palin said at the time that McCain should choose a governor as his running mate.

"I do think there needs to be a governor on the ticket. A governor on the front line, administering bureaucracy and setting good policy for the people for whom they are serving. They know how to run government.

In many ways Palin is considered a good match for Sen. John McCain: young, conservative, a reformer who took on and beat Alaska's old guard Republican machine, and hugely popular.

On the other hand, Alaska may be geographically large, but in the presidential race it’s the electoral map that counts, and Alaska only has three electoral votes.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Bit/Alabama

Just read this on the Huffington Post:

A Republican source confirms that John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate. Campaign officials, however, remain mum this morning.

August 29, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  2. John B. From New Hampshire

can you say PANDER to hillary voters? losing ticket to be sure!

August 29, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. Matthew

If this pans out, McCain has truly hit the ball out of the park!

August 29, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. Veterans For Obama/Biden

Hillary Supporters....Don't fall for an Alaskan nobody just because she's female.

The first woman to take the VP or Pres. spot must be exceptional.
    Let's not make History with someone who will tarnish the work of the Hillarys and Pelosis of this world.

Let's be patient and vote in the right woman.

August 29, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. GOP supporter

WHAT!! It needs to be Romney for the economy issues in the swing states.

August 29, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. Jack

OOO she's got lots of experience! LOL

Do you think she's ready to be President? You've got to be kidding me.

August 29, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. Obama Supporter from FL

I think this is just like the Chet Edwards thing – throw an unusual name into the mix at the last minute and create some hype.

I certainly hope so, because a woman on the Republican ticket could hurt the dems.

You know, those female voters who just want to vote for a woman and could care less about policy? I'm sure they could manage to run from Hillary all the way to an anti-abortion, anti-same sex marriage, and pro-gun candidate just because she has the right plumbing.

August 29, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  8. Democracynow2008

He could pick her but I do not think she will be the one

August 29, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  9. Richard,Orlando,FL

I think this would be a good pick for McCain. We need a woman to be commander-in-chief if anything happens to McCain. I know she would have a lot of experience dealing with sensitive international issues, and would be taken seriously by both our friends and enemies.

August 29, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  10. Kevin,FL

I would like McCain to choose Palin, she will get the female votes, for McCain, and just another reason i'll vote for McCain

August 29, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. Tony Z-MD

Please pick her. It will show that you have guts, but are still wrong.

August 29, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. Greg, NY

I kinda hope he does pick her. McCain will be expecting to get some ex Hillary supporters. This woman is so opposed to abortion and gay marriage that you'll see Hillary herself come out and attack Palin.

It'll be glorious.

August 29, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. What?

PLEASE tell me she didn‘t THINK he would offer her the VP, LET“S be HONEST. DID you HONESTLY think he would NOT PICK a WOMAN (Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin) to fly in front of those women who are upset with the Democratic party? He plays on people anger, intelligence, and the cause that is true to their hearts. He and that smile say it all….we will trick them now, go tell her she will be used by the GOP, we really don’t want her, but we need bait. Isn't it been the GOP who complain and bash Obama lack of experience, HOW MUCH DOES SHE HAS?

He waits until Obama make a move and then he start his CAMERA-ACTION. Who has the 26 years experience again? He always waits until Obama makes a decision and then do the opposite as if it was what he was going do to at first. Another trickery of McBush agenda. THINK ABOUT IT, He didn’t want a woman until Clinton was a nominee, and that is when he offered his wife for the motorcycle pagent.

I will fool the voters into thinking I care about them until I take the White House, then the H_ll with those fools……………..We WANT a REAL President after these last eight years……………
    McBush = Bush…….SAME OLD MESS!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 29, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. Veterans For Obama/Biden

Lets not vote for someone who is willing to kill off her state's wildlife for oil money!

Someone please ask her what's happened to her state's salmon runs lately.

This lady has done an awful job running Alaska.

Don't be fooled because she is young and female....she is as clueless as Mccain!

August 29, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. Accountant Guy

Hopefully he picks her, as this would secure Obama/Biden ticket. Doesn't her husband work for British Petroleum (BP), and she was involved with some scandal involving her sister and a state trooper. It is pathetic that McBush is trying to pander to women by picking her. If he picks her, he can't use that experience crap anymore. Biden will rip her apart in debates, foreign policy, and experience!!

Obama/Biden '08

August 29, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  16. vera t

I am a lifelong dem woman and this means McCain has just won the Presidency this is so exciting!

August 29, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. b Jiggy

If mccain doesnt pick hillary clinton but picks this Palin lady...im switching my registration to democrat and voting Obama. What a slap in the face of us hillary supporters for him to not pick clinton. I'm warning you Mccain, if u dont pick clinton me and my family will never vote for u!

PUMAS are nice shoes. :)

August 29, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. Ken in Dallas

Sarah Who?

August 29, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. Steve

Palin would be a dynamic choice.

August 29, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. Obama will be President

And who the heck is she????????????

August 29, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. Sue

It sure looks this way,as a private plane from Alaska has arrived in Middleton, Ohio, where McCain is, according to CNN.

If this is true, Obama is in BIG trouble.

August 29, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. Bruce

Is this an attempt to pick uip all the unhappy Hillery supporters. Well She An't Hillery

August 29, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  23. Mark Wagner

It's going to be here, Politico just reported.

Not sure what she brings, nothing on the economy. Looks like McCain wants to simply please his PUMA friends.

August 29, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. Sylvia

God I hope so....she would be PERFECT!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  25. Obama Is For Veterans

Biden will destroy this "Hockey Mom" in a debate.

Who can relate to a "Hockey Mom"?

Please....Hillary supporters aren't that naive!

August 29, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |