August 29th, 2008

Palin addressed VP speculation in February

CNN

Watch Palin discuss her thoughts on being VP in February.

(CNN) - With Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty out of the mix, increased speculation over who McCain will pick as has GOP vice presidential nominee has turned toward Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Sources point to Palin as McCain's running mate, but CNN has not confirmed.

In February, CNN's Joe Johns asked Gov. Palin whether she would join the Republican ticket if asked.

“It seems so out of the realm of possibility. I feel like I don’t even have to answer your question. At some point in my life, I would like to have an opportunity if it’s handed to me to serve on a national level," she said then. "But I don’t think it’s going to happen on this go around.”

Watch Palin answer the question.

Palin said at the time that McCain should choose a governor as his running mate.

"I do think there needs to be a governor on the ticket. A governor on the front line, administering bureaucracy and setting good policy for the people for whom they are serving. They know how to run government.

In many ways Palin is considered a good match for Sen. John McCain: young, conservative, a reformer who took on and beat Alaska's old guard Republican machine, and hugely popular.

On the other hand, Alaska may be geographically large, but in the presidential race it’s the electoral map that counts, and Alaska only has three electoral votes.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Tired of W, OH

If I were Cindy, I wouldn't want McCain to choose Palin. He is an adulterer, you know.

August 29, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. Jorge

She looks young. How much experience does she have? Will she be ready to lead if something happens to McCain?

August 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. Obama Supporter VA

Trying to steal the Women vote and hide from the obvious attacks that are going to come.

McCain makes me sick!

Obama.Biden '08

August 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. kelly WI

Obama still has no resume. No one of his past has come up to praise him. Nothing about his college days. He has a self made bio-graphy.
    Chicken to have town halls with McCain.
    Scared to put Hillary as v.p.
    A weakling on all fronts. An actor.
    McCain 08

August 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  5. proud army and navy mom

i really think mccain whether pick anyone except Romney. If anyone would watch the tapes of past debates, mccain absolutely despises the man. The feeling is mutual. Romney thinks mccain is a lying old idiot.

so if it's Romney, it's just futher proof that mccain is bought and paid for by limbaugh, rove, hannity, cheney and bush.

August 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  6. Mike in VA

Palin is a very interesting choice, if the reports are correct. But let's head off the Democrat rhetoric already. Gov. Palin does not have a huge amount of experience. That is correct. But in her limited time in office she has been a successful agent for change and reform. And, she'll be #2 on the ticket, so it isn't necessary for her to have as much experience as the presidential nominee. Democrats have nominated a man with no track record of success, no track record of taking the initiative on any bipartisan issues, and very little track record at all due to his lack of real governing experience - and they put him at the TOP of their ticket. Gov. Palin's potential VP nod does not erase the accurate criticism that Sen. Obama isn't ready to lead as a PRESIDENTIAL nominee should be.

August 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. Mary

WELL IS IT THE STATE WITH A BRIDGE TO NOWHERE......

August 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  8. Deborah

She has a ticket to fly .....

This is a sign that has me truly Excited!

McCain already won my vote when I read his vision for where we would be in 2012.

If Gov. Palin is picked as his running Mate he will have my Exuberant Support!

This will be a Great day for me, my daughter and my two granddaughters!

Breathless with anticipation!

McCain 08

August 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  9. Veterans for Obama and Ex-Republicans for Obama!

Sorry John McCain picking a woman will not help you. I give you some cred for trying...but it won't work! As Hillary supporter myself, how did that go?

NO WAY-NO-HOW-NO MCCAIN!!

And she doesn't have any experience, so its easy to see that you made a decision based on gender. What a hypocrite you are, does she know your voting record on womens issues? Apparently not!

August 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  10. Quinn - Houston, Texas

Make no mistake. Picking Palin would be an insult to the intelligence of Hillary supporters. You can't just pick ANY woman and expect her supporters to follow.

Palin does NOT represent the views of the vast majority of women in this country.

No way, no how, no McCain.

Obama/Biden 08!

August 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  11. EBC

Wow.... this would be GREAT if he picks Gov. Palin... the same Gov. who used her office to fire a state trooper who was in a bitter divorce battle, the same woman who will have to answer on WOMEN'S ISSUES that John McCAIN wants to SILENCE by sending women back into the alleys to get abortions!! Who wants to DICTATE to women what they CAN'T and CAN DO with their bodies.

Please pick her so we can get HILLARY CLINTON to do what she DOES BEST when it comes to women's issues!!!

August 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. John Zeger

If McCain chooses Palin, it would be a political master stroke in which McCain would out maneuver even the ultimate master politician, Barack Obama. With Palin on the ticket, my money would be on McCain to win the election as he would attract many disgruntled Clinton supporters. Any takers?

August 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  13. Dandelion.

She's no Hillary, that's for sure.

August 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  14. Puffin

She left Alaska with her family for Ohio.

August 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  15. What?

CNN........affraid to let the TRUTH stay.
    PLEASE tell me he knew he wasn‘t going to be offered the VP, LET“S be HONEST. DID you HONESTLY think he would NOT PICK a WOMAN, to play on those women who are upset with the Democratic party? He plays on people anger, intelligence, and the cause that is true to their hearts. He and that smile say it all….we will trick them now, go tell her she will be used by the GOP, we really don’t want her, but we need bait. Another trickery of McBush agenda. THINK ABOUT IT, He didn’t want a woman until Clinton was a nominee and was not the winner. He did offered his wife for the motorcycle pageant

McBush = Bush…….SAME OLD MESS!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  16. Alexis from Ohio

Sarah Palin? She's young enough to be McCain's daughter. I was hoping he would go with a more seasoned governor like Romney or at least Pawlenty. I understand the whole woman factor, but I don't know, this is not a wise choice

August 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  17. Arkansas Undertaker

McCain/Palin- Weak ticket!!!

August 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  18. Bobby from MS

A woman VP? Looks like the Democrates are in HUGE trouble. Instead of doing the right thing and putting Hillary on the ticket Obama picked Biden.

Now McCain makes a BRILLIANT move and picks a woman VP. Better luck in 4 years democrates!!!!!!

August 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. Vets for Hillary

She ain't Hillary!

Nice try McCain...way to lose it for your party!

August 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  20. s.b.

Go Sarah! What a fantastic pick.

August 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  21. Chi4Obama

So McCain is continuing to pander to Clinton Supporters, by potentially selecting an inexperienced female Governor to serve as VP.

I guess he will attract the support from many of Hillary's PUMA pack.

But this should still be an insult to women everywhere.

August 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  22. OhioGirl82

I confess, I'm a Mitt fan, and I never paid attention to Sarah Palin until a week ago. The more I read about her, the more I like her. She's taken on some nasty old-timers who give big-government a bad-name. She's a true fiscal conservative from what I've seen so far, cutting spending on specialty projects. Fingers crossed it's her....

August 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. marcel

I willing to bet that Senator McCain will choose either Governor Ridge or Senator Lieberman. I don't believe it will be Governor Palin. I still believe that Senators Obama and Biden will be elected on November 4th and will become President Obama and Vice-President Biden on January 20th, 2009.

August 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. Chi4Obama

Can someone tell me how Sarah Palin is qualified to help lead our country. Somebody, anybody....I'm waiting...

August 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. voter

this is stupid. She has no experience so therefore they can't accuse Obama of having no experience. She has less. She is also under investigation for abusing her power as governer. Second, she praised Obama and believed his energy policy plan was better than McCain. Dumb move. I don't think Hillary supporters will vote for a woman who wants to take away their reproductive rights.

August 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |