August 29th, 2008

Palin addressed VP speculation in February

CNN

Watch Palin discuss her thoughts on being VP in February.

(CNN) - With Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty out of the mix, increased speculation over who McCain will pick as has GOP vice presidential nominee has turned toward Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Sources point to Palin as McCain's running mate, but CNN has not confirmed.

In February, CNN's Joe Johns asked Gov. Palin whether she would join the Republican ticket if asked.

“It seems so out of the realm of possibility. I feel like I don’t even have to answer your question. At some point in my life, I would like to have an opportunity if it’s handed to me to serve on a national level," she said then. "But I don’t think it’s going to happen on this go around.”

Watch Palin answer the question.

Palin said at the time that McCain should choose a governor as his running mate.

"I do think there needs to be a governor on the ticket. A governor on the front line, administering bureaucracy and setting good policy for the people for whom they are serving. They know how to run government.

In many ways Palin is considered a good match for Sen. John McCain: young, conservative, a reformer who took on and beat Alaska's old guard Republican machine, and hugely popular.

On the other hand, Alaska may be geographically large, but in the presidential race it’s the electoral map that counts, and Alaska only has three electoral votes.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Antonio

Wow, look at that crowd.. Its nothing but a sea of white faces. That doesn't look like America! Compare that to Obama's representative crowds. The GOP STILL doesn't reach out to everyone.

August 29, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. Chi4Obama

...And out come the PUMA'S in full force.

They won't support Palin because of her "qualifications" (because she has none).

Could it be they are supporting her because she is..Dare I say...a woman. So sad.

August 29, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  3. Danielle, TX

Biden will rip her to shreds in the debate. I don't think its a good ticket.

August 29, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  4. Lisa

This reeks. I want a female because she's GOOD, not because she's female. I need to look into Palin's record more before I'd even CONSIDER her – given that she's running with McCain, I'm unlikely to be pleased.

August 29, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  5. Fabian Blache III, Baton Rouge, LA

Interesting that McCain would attempt to woe Hillary supporters by pandering to gender. Doesn't he know that this will only incite them to vote for authenticity even more so, and that would be Barack-Biden?

Also, I am concerned about how she would fair in a debate with Biden on any of the issues.

I like the pick. I think it helps the Barack-Biden ticket immeasurably.

August 29, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  6. Jim, FL

Wait a second...McCain decries Obama's lack of experience, and then chooses a 1st term Governor elected in 2006 to be his running mate??? Absolutely absurd...the Democrats will have a field day with this.

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  7. Georgia

What an insult! To pick a woman just to pick a woman....not because she's the strongest Republican partner..... McCrab is an old fool

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  8. brad

Is it true about her husband's having a career in the oil industry? If so, oh boy. That's decides it right there. Will have to do my research later to find the details. Not familiar with her at all.

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Blu

Obama will regret not having chosen Hillary as his VP

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. Larry Kincaid

Who? Weak pick. Very weak. No name recognition, which is necessary for the ancient McGeezer

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. Donald in Orange County

So they know Biden is a good attack dog so when he attack her they will say he beating up on a women. Please dont fall for it when it happens. What is her resume.

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  12. Adam - Texas

A woman on the GOP is a smart move. Clearly, it's going to be game on this coming November.

Maybe Obama should have spent less time booking stupid musical acts and erecting columns for himself and more time researching a viable VP candidate...

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  13. LeRoy, Atlanta, GA

The GOP needs to do one thing, and only one thing: Go after Obama on his principles and his liberal background (and policies if he were to become President):

Obama is PRO-CHOICE (and approves of partial birth abortion)

Obama is a SOCIALIST

Obama wants to take more tax dollars from the upper income earners and re-distribute through GIVE-AWAY SOCIAL PROGRAMS

Obama has NO EXPERIENCE RUNNING ANYTHING

Obama is NOT QUALIFIED TO BE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF

The GOP doesn't need to attack Obama personally (he's probably a nice person, gives great speeches, is a good family man, etc), but the DO NEED TO GIVE THE VOTING PUBLIC THE FACTS ON WHAT HE PROPOSES AS PRESIDENT.

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. ArtNYC

For those of you asking who Sarah Palin is... weren't you asking the same thing to yourselves last year when Obama ran for the Democratic ticket?

August 29, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Palin doesn't have enough name recognition to make any kind of difference. I would hope all those that wanted Hillary Clinton to see this as a ploy to get their vote. What has her record in the past been? Is there anything special about her other than being a woman? Not to say that a woman can't do it, but what makes her different enough to be a heart beat away from the presidency?

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. Jerry in Boston

Wow. John McCain has just created a new role....

First M.I.L.F.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Chi4Obama

Sarah Palin. The inexperienced Governor from Alaska.

Give me a break. This is beyond comical.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. GC from Virginia

Are Hillary supporters going to vote for just any woman? We'll see I guess.

But I think the main criticism of this pick is going to be that Palin's husband works for BP. It's going to allow Obama to pain the election as "Democrats v. Big Oil," which I think would be a winning strategy. Also, she has far less political experience than Obama. Given McCain's age, you'd think voters would want someone ready to pick up the mantle any day.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. Ms. GA

This is funny. Can you say Publicity Stunt! It is so obvious that McCain is trying to win over Clinton's voters by picking a woman. It will be really sad if people were to switch over to McCain just because he picked a woman. No one knows who she is.
    The Republicans are so desperate!

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  20. Tim

Picking Gov. Palin is very patronizing to Clinton voters. I think this will backfire against McCain. She is no Hillary Clinton, She's only been Gov. for two years... Taking into calculations McCains age I think He'll lose a lot of his own voters who are not ready to put a woman in the white house, especially such an inexperienced one. JUST ANOTHER EXMPLE OF MCCAINS POOR JUDGEMENT AND GIMIC POLITICS.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. jimmy from Boynton Beach FLorida

I guess it is ok to choose an unknown for vice president. Explain to me how this woman is going to respond to the urgent issues of our world when she has only governed a state for two years. What an hyppocrisie!Good luck people. I think you rep are dellusional!All of this to get the one percent vote from remains of hilary's crazies! It is ok for the republicans to chose an actor , an unintelligent president but not a visionary. No way, no how, no Mccain.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. Scott

Hillary will crush this women. This is definitely political pandering at its finest from McCain. Sure he will pick up female votes, but he lost all of the right to choose voters and a lot of the middle american voters looking for economic balance on his ticket.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. Courtney

Palin is tough as nails and brilliant and is not afraid to take on the big machines!

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. normal american

Well she has my vote..if she can raise 5 kids in this day and time than she can run the country...ha ha I have five kids its alot of work. Plus she is a member of the NRA...awesome. You need a woman in office to keep checks and balances...they have a cooler head. What a great combo they will be!

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  25. Matthew

It's more then obvious what some of the underlying reasons for selecting HER to be the VP. We will just have to see how many people will vote for McCain now just because he has a woman on his ticket.

August 29, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |